2 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I'd think that if they do the mail-in voting and Trump doesn't win, we may be looking at another Gore - Bush recount situation.....

Exactly.  I’m not opposed to mail-in voting in principle, but it needs to be done right.  

For example, I think there should be a deadline for mailed ballots so they are received far enough ahead of Election Day that they all get counted no later than E-Day.  If we don’t have a result on Wednesday morning, with states counting votes for days or even weeks afterward, the country is going to be in big trouble, I fear.  And with 50 state governments organizing it in 50 different ways, what could possibly go wrong?

• Thanks 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regardless of which party or candidate you prefer or dislike, I’m concerned that the Constitution has, or is dangerously close, to becoming irrelevant. Freedom of speech appears to me to have been res

If ever there was a time for a strong, independent, moderate party. . . .it is NOW.  

I'm not thrilled with Biden, but there's no way in hell I could ever vote for Trump. Nearly anyone would be better than that arrogant buffoon.

Posted Images

17 hours ago, TABA said:

Exactly.  I’m not opposed to mail-in voting in principle, but it needs to be done right.  

For example, I think there should be a deadline for mailed ballots so they are received far enough ahead of Election Day that they all get counted no later than E-Day.  If we don’t have a result on Wednesday morning, with states counting votes for days or even weeks afterward, the country is going to be in big trouble, I fear.  And with 50 state governments organizing it in 50 different ways, what could possibly go wrong?

In CA, mail-in ballots (or drop-off ballots since we have mailbox like ballot drop-offs or you can simply turn in your mail-in ballot on the day of the election in person instead of filling it out at the polling place) are not physically opened until the day of the election.  So once voting day comes they are opened and counted along with all the other ballots.  Getting the ballot in early only helps with some logistical issues (ie. the envelope is at the registrar ready to be counted) but does nothing for actual count process itself (other than once the voting day starts they have them ready to open and start the count as opposed to getting them from the precincts later in the day).  Late ballots are not counted (think taxes...they must be postmarked by election day).  If they were to start counting prior to the election date then there is the possibility that the count info could leak and that would be very bad (it could affect same day voters or even late-mail voters).

However, with Covid there are far fewer poll workers, this includes those working the count, and along with all the rules surrounding the pandemic we should actually expect a slower than usual count.  The next morning is probably unrealistic in this environment.

mwc

19 hours ago, TABA said:

No, it won't.

We could have it take a few weeks and be perfectly fine.

We've just gotten used to instant gratification thanks to things like telegraphs, phones, radio, and television.

Delayed election results would be an inconvenience and little more.

Sure, it would be presented as some unacceptable issue with lots of people complaining, but it won't actually be a real problem if it does. It would amount to little more than grumbling.

The government will continue to function, and transitions might be a little rushed, but would still happen within a reasonable time frame.

There wouldn't be riots in the streets or an economic meltdown over delayed election results.

21 minutes ago, ContraBardus said:

No, it won't.

We could have it take a few weeks and be perfectly fine.

We've just gotten used to instant gratification thanks to things like telegraphs, phones, radio, and television.

Delayed election results would be an inconvenience and little more.

Sure, it would be presented as some unacceptable issue with lots of people complaining, but it won't actually be a real problem if it does. It would amount to little more than grumbling.

The government will continue to function, and transitions might be a little rushed, but would still happen within a reasonable time frame.

There wouldn't be riots in the streets or an economic meltdown over delayed election results.

I wish you were right.  You should be right.  But we live in a country that has largely lost its sanity.  I wish we had news media that didn’t constantly whip up partisan divisions, but we can count on them to do so, at every turn.

6 hours ago, TABA said:

I wish you were right.  You should be right.  But we live in a country that has largely lost its sanity.  I wish we had news media that didn’t constantly whip up partisan divisions, but we can count on them to do so, at every turn.

That's the thing. Everyone will act like they are losing their minds and that it is the end of America, grandstanding will fill the media outlets and soapboxes will be stood upon,  but absolutely nothing will come of it.

By the time the outrage over it would have accomplished anything, everyone will have forgotten about it in favor of the next thing to be outraged about.

It would be a shitshow, but amount to nothing more than being a show.

I'll not be voting for Biden. Trump isn't perfect by any means but before all this covid crap the economy was doing good, Unemployment was low, I was seeing companies move work from over seas back to america, new local industries were and still are springing up. As far as his campaign promises go he tried to keep them more than any other president I've seen. I didn't vote for him the first time but I feel he earned my vote this time. Even in the face of the left wing Democrats doing nothing for 4 years other than try to remove him from the presidency. They have literally done nothing productive for all this time because they were too focused on hating trump. Russian collusion, Mueller report, impeachment for trying to investigate bidens son. And the media.... for fucks sake I wish all of them would go under. Not a damn one isn't biased one way or the other. 

And @Joshpantera I guess I've been one of the ones saying we were on the verge of civil war for a few years now. I hate it I really do. But the Republican and Democrat parties are tearing this country apart. One reason I love independents and libertarians. Our two party system sucks. 

• Thanks 1

People talk a lot about civil war, but are they actually prepared to let go of their comforts to fight in what would be a long, horrible conflict?

Are things that bad to actually start a war over? People would have to give up their jobs, their netflix, their coffees etc

You might find at worst a few armed conflicts starting up that are treated as violent riots and put down by the military.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:17 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

People talk a lot about civil war, but are they actually prepared to let go of their comforts to fight in what would be a long, horrible conflict?

Are things that bad to actually start a war over? People would have to give up their jobs, their netflix, their coffees etc

You might find at worst a few armed conflicts starting up that are treated as violent riots and put down by the military.

I wonder what these kids will do if Trump wins???

More of the same? Step it up a notch? I doubt they'll sit down and take it. At any rate, I predict a lot of "wailing and gnashing of teeth," Revelation style, if Trump wins. Met with the military again.......

• 3 weeks later...

I voted against Clinton in the last election. I found Trump to be as objectionable as Clinton once he got in office though.

Until the Democrats totally lost their minds and couldn’t come up with a viable candidate that is at least coherent, I would never have thought I ever vote for Trump again.

A lot has changed politically since the Minnesota debacle. The Democrats have gone totally WOKE. They have embraced the communists Marxist progressive anarchist and their disturbing agenda. 

The Constitution and individual rights have been thrown under the bus by the Democrats. If Biden wins this election I truly fear the United States, as we know it now and historically, will no longer exist. 

As unbelievable as it may seem Trump appears to be the only person that can preserve the Union and the Constitution.

A few months ago I would never have believed I would ever be a Trump supporter, but I see no other alternative now. 

I now see the political left as the greatest threat to America since WWII.  Biden and the left simply cannot be allowed to take control of the country. If Biden wins I firmly believe a Civil War will become inevitable and that may happen if Trump wins too.

These are truly dark days in American history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a former small business owner, I knew it would be a cardinal sin to allow my company to become involved in politics. Doing so would almost guarantee offending 50% of my clients and potential clients. 

Corporate American used to think that way too, but Nike changed that when they voluntarily and eagerly become involved in the National anthem controversy. 

Other company’s joined the fracas too, and now major league sports has decided it makes good business sense to piss off 60% of their fan base. The world has changed virtually overnight.

A white 5 year old child is gunned down and nobody cares. A father and his stepdaughter are shot in the head and killed over a minor auto accident. No body cares. In both cases the gunman was a black teenager.

When Obama was President approximately 25,000 people were shot in Chicago, the majority of the victims were black. Nobody cared.

Crime statistics indicate the police kill far more white people than black people every year. Black on black crime is the single leading cause of death for African Americas. Nobody cares.

So far, all the riots are the result of black felons, resisting arrest, being killed by police. However, the actual evidence is far from conclusive that the killings were not justified, but these cases have yet to be adjudicated.

Rioting, looting, and burning down buildings would seem to be a premature response and not justified. How does looting businesses & burning down buildings have anything to do with the supposed issues of racial injustice? 

And since none of these cases have been adjudicated how can anyone claim racial injustice? Nothing has been determined by a court of law yet.

In the case of George Floyd he had taken a fatal overdose of drugs. The arresting officer clearly crossed the line when Floyd was arrested though. Did the officer actually kill him? The evidence, so far, is inconclusive.

If the officer’s actions contributed to Floyd’s death then he will face prison. His lawyer, very well may claim that it’s impossible for his client to get a fair trail anywhere in the United States for obvious reason.

There is plenty of circumstantial evidence that these riots and demonstrations have absolutely nothing to do with racial injustice and everything to do with the attempted overthrow of the United States government and the elimination of the U.S. Constitution.

just my opinions, I assume others have a different perspective.

• Thanks 1

Seems a lot of people are thinking similar, Geezer:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.