Goodbye Jesus

End times concerns

2022grad

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, MOHO said:

Try as I may to get xtians to listen to the actual origins of the book and the fact that large sections were changed years after the original authoring they will NOT listen. Don't want to know, they.

Hence the reason they often get labeled as a cult. Reality truly doesn't exist for them.

• Like 2

One should be a bit skeptical of claims that vague prophecies and predictions are coming to pass after the fact.

To take an extreme example, we could all agree that "Discworld" is a fictional book series, yet I just recently witnessed the launch of a manned rocket on YouTube, an event predicted in the Discworld book "The Last Hero" from 2001. In fact, come to think of it, the city I live in is divided in two by a river as well. Could I really be living in Ankh-Morpork?

We might be tempted to apply such selective interpretation to Christianity, but not to Discworld, because of the emotional significance Christianity has to many of us as current and former believers, and because of the high-stakes questions Christianity seeks to answer. We want to make absolutely sure to leave no stone unturned so as not to make a serious mistake.

However, Christianity's emotional hold on us doesn't make it any more factual than any other idea. Treating it preferentially to other ideas might feel better, as we've been taught to do so over a long period of time, but there's an infinitude of ideas out there, and to know which ones might be good or correct, we have to be prepared to examine all of them critically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MOHO said:

And to think that someone would come back to life after being killed in a public execution and then show themselves for inspection to either a handful of people or hundreds but no one bothers to write about this astounding feat for at least 30 years! Not even one historian other than the anonymous bible writers mentions Jesus coming back to life other than the highly suspect single probable three or four word forgery added to a Josephus historical record. So really nothing outside the bible which was not begun until decades after this astonishing event supposedly occurred.

Oh, come on everybody. you know the only answer that makes sense

GOD DID IT!!!!!

It's the same reason, according to the Bible, why the earth is not flat anymore, and has suddenly become round

GOD DID IT!!!!!

If we ever need any unexplained bullshit...explaining

Either

GOD DID IT!!!!!  or SATAN DID IT!!!

No evidence needed.....Evidence is an illusion sent by SATAN to fool us even though I need to check all the evidence when I'm buying my house and car to check that everything is working.....uuummm......."People do what suits themselves"

We certainly have our work cut out in making xtians see the TRUTH

• Haha 2

On 6/5/2020 at 1:15 AM, 2022grad said:

I’ve been de converting from Christianity lately and everything is kind of worrying me because I see people everywhere are screaming that we’re living through revelations and all that and it’s kind of worrying me

Why did the atheist cross the road?

To get away from the doom's day preacher on the other side.

I think a lot of people kinda get a kick outta gettin' all upset about the end-times. A fun hobby ta waste away the time. And if you can post stuff or even write an article or book to get the masses all riled up, so much the better! What if you're the one who actually gets it right? What an honor that would be.....

Seriously now, there have been so many end-times prognostications, since the beginning of humankind. Who remembers Comet Kohoutek in 1973-1974? Or the book "The Late, Great Planet Earth"? Man, those were fun times......

• Super Moderator
5 hours ago, Tsathoggua9 said:

I think a lot of people kinda get a kick outta gettin' all upset about the end-times.

I think it's what also drives many people to horror movies and roller coasters.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, florduh said:

I think it's what also drives many people to horror movies and roller coasters.

Oh, yeah! Fer sure.