Goodbye Jesus

Intermittent lurker finally saying hello

GrandmaDeeDee

• Admin

Welcome, @GrandmaDeeDee. I hope you find some inspiration here to assist you in finishimg your novel and hope you also eventually find a path to complete peace of mind for having returned to reason and reality after a lifetime in mental bondage.

With respect,

@webmdave

Hi and welcome :)

Welcome! Glad you feel comfortable being visible here.

Welcome to our community, @GrandmaDeeDee!  It’s always nice when a lurker comes out of the shadows to introduce themselves and become fully “one of us”!  We’re always aware that there are those silently reading, and we hope to help those whom we don’t even know are there!  There is strength in numbers, so thank you for adding to our strength.  Also, contributing here in the forums is helpful for both the writer and the readers, so I hope you will be active here.  I have certainly grown in confidence and happiness with my post-Christian life thanks to this community. 

Looking forward to getting to know you better!

- TABA

• Like 4

Welcome aboard! Nice to have you with us.

Welcome and as my name implies I’m an old coot. I was a Christian fundamentalist for 47 years. Elder, deacon, teacher, and evangelist. Doubts began setting in the late 90’s. Mentally I was gone by 2005 but didn’t officially cut all ties until 2012. 

Leaving was/is hard but freedom proved to be worth all the trauma. My group ostracizes those that become apostate. It was difficult to lose close friends, but I eventually realized they weren’t really friends. They were simply fellow believers and I was no longer a member of their cult. I don’t miss that nonsense and would never go back.

Glad you found like minded folk that understand what leaving religion is like and have experienced some version of religious trauma syndrome.  

• Like 5

Welcome, @GrandmaDeeDee.

Nice to meet you and it's good to have a talented writer on board.

Hope you stick around and read/write more.

A warm welcome, indeed! 

13 hours ago, GrandmaDeeDee said:

Thanks for all the help you've given without knowing it; your existence here means something to the world, even if we're not all brave enough to say hello at first. 

DD

Those of us who often refer to lurking readers in our posts, are not just paranoid or insane! The reading audience is much broader than people realize at times. And these discussion threads can be helpful in ways that are not always evident simply based on the participants of the threads themselves. 

Thanks for signing in and letting know more about you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

@GrandmaDeeDee Welcome to Ex-C. This community was instrumental in helping me work through some issues and reprogramming my mind to think more clearly. Glad to have you with us and I admire your bravery for introducing yourself. I know how challenging it can be to put yourself out there.

• Like 3

Welcome @GrandmaDeeDee

Welcome formerly to Ex-C. I'm glad you've decided to not just be a passive participant by reading the forums, but to become an active member by joining up and posting.

Your post reminds me of the stories others have shared about the hardship of leaving ones faith. It's rarely an easy journey, and often we don't make it our without scars.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

LF

• Like 2

Hello! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your story if you want to share. 

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. One of these days I'll try to edit my testimonial down to a manageable size, but in the meantime I look forward to participating. I went through a very lengthy thread in the Lion's Den the other day: y'all are good!! I'm neither scientist nor logician so I'll leave the debating to those who know what they're doing. Had to laugh at the irony: all the talk about humility among believers, but honestly the best lesson I've ever had on the subject is realizing I used to sound like them. 🥴

cha·grin
/SHəˈɡrin/
noun

distress or embarrassment at having failed or been humiliated.
"Jeff, much to his chagrin, wasn't invited"

verb
feel distressed or humiliated.
"he was chagrined when his friend poured scorn on him"

Thanks again, everyone!
DD
  • Like 4

On 6/16/2020 at 10:36 AM, GrandmaDeeDee said:

Had to laugh at the irony: all the talk about humility among believers, but honestly the best lesson I've ever had on the subject is realizing I used to sound like them.

Ditto!

I'm glad you're here, @GrandmaDeeDee! Writing is super important and therapeutic, I think! I'm looking forward to reading more from you.