Goodbye Jesus

What exactly is worship?

LeiaBryant

On 6/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, LeiaBryant said:

I read this recently and thought I would share it here to hear all of your opinions.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/panmankey/2020/06/worship-is-more-than-words-offerings/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=BRSS&utm_campaign=Pagan&utm_content=430

What do you think qualifies as worship? I am curious what y'all think. Edit typo

A symbolic re-enactment of a sacred story/myth or belief is my working definition.

8 hours ago, florduh said:

Yes, actually that's what it means. 

I get what you mean, but "primitive" has gotten a bad conotation in everyday language. Something like undevelopped, infant like, savage, unrefined, etc. And polytheism in some place was very very refined. Sumerian culture was polytheistic and by the standards of the age was very advanced.

5 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

I get what you mean, but "primitive" has gotten a bad conotation in everyday language. Something like undevelopped, infant like, savage, unrefined, etc. And polytheism in some place was very very refined. Sumerian culture was polytheistic and by the standards of the age was very advanced.

Exactly @florduh this is exactly what I think Myrkhoos took the words out of my mouth before I could say them. My faith is very refined and detailed and not as primitive as you would think.

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

Exactly @florduh this is exactly what I think Myrkhoos took the words out of my mouth before I could say them. My faith is very refined and detailed and not as primitive as you would think.

I'm not responsible for people who won't use the definition properly. Old or original doesn't automatically mean inferior. It is simply primitive, like cave paintings or the Venus of Willendorf.

• 1 month later...

Worship in the Church of Christ was:  announcements for the day, 2 songs, a prayer, another song, communion (every sunday), taking the "collection", another song, the sermon, the invitation song, a baptism or prayers for anyone who might have come forward during the invitation song, another song, and finally the closing prayer.  And then, HOORAY, WE ARE OUT OF HERE!

Well, LOL, you did ask!

• 7 months later...

I'd say worship can be (not is) defined as remembrance + connection + emotional (somber or exuberant). A form of emotional bonding to a perceptual past-state that involves a first, second, or third-person narrative structure that ties the self to that past perception. I.e. "ancestor worship" being more about remembering the dead departed (potentially turning into the more modern version of worship we are familiar with after succeeding generations build elaborate beliefs/rituals around it). 

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.