Goodbye Jesus

My Story

FreeFromGuilt

Hi @FreeFromGuilt and thanks for sharing your story!  I’m glad to know this site was helpful to you and I know your story will be encouraging to others.  

Your experience of Christianity and Jesus bringing you anxiety rather than blessings is all too familiar.  It’s almost as if Christianity is like any other human concept: works for some, not for others.  

For me, the icing on the cake was when your husband shared his unbelief with you.  What a huge relief that must have been for you both!  Awesome. You being on the same page about religion is a huge plus for your relationship.  Congratulations to you both!

- TABA

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TABA said:

Hi @FreeFromGuilt and thanks for sharing your story!  I’m glad to know this site was helpful to you and I know your story will be encouraging to others.  

- TABA

This site actually played a huge role in my deconversion. When I first started admitting to myself (before I told my husband) that I didn't like Christianity, I found this site. Reading testimony after testimony highlighted even more things I didn't like about the faith.

My deconversion started as a dislike of Christianity and eventually became more academic when I started reading Bart Ehrman's books and realized the Bible wasn't actually inerrant like I had been taught.

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

@FreeFromGuilt Welcome to Ex-C and thank you for sharing your story! Glad to hear you and your husband are on the same track. I applaud your courage for going to your husband without knowing he had already stopped believing.

As @TABA stated, Christianity seems to play out differently for everyone. Like you, I was constantly anxious and stressed about some of the ideas, especially Hell. It sounds like you are on a clear path already. This website, as you already discovered, is a wealth of knowledge; and it looks like you are already reading the right material. You will be amazed at the vast amount of critical scholarship out there. Definitely will never see it on some pastor's reading list.

• Like 4

Academics often refer to Christianity as the Christian Cult for a reason. All religions practice some form of mind control aka indoctrination and brainwashing, as essential tools necessary to obtain blind obedience and control of their members minds and lives.

Congratulations on your successful escape from the cult. Life without the fear of Hell is exhilarating. True freedom is freedom FROM religion.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, FreeFromGuilt said:

This site actually played a huge role in my deconversion. When I first started admitting to myself (before I told my husband) that I didn't like Christianity, I found this site. Reading testimony after testimony highlighted even more things I didn't like about the faith.

My deconversion started as a dislike of Christianity and eventually became more academic when I started reading Bart Ehrman's books and realized the Bible wasn't actually inerrant like I had been taught.

Excellent news!

• Like 3

Thank you for posting your extimoney, @FreeFromGuilt.

I think that it is really swell that your hubby admitted his lack of faith when you opened up to him about yours. Readers should be advised that heir actual mileage may very, like it did for me, but this is very encouraging and I wonder how many families would have a similar revelation if one member should choose to start the dominoes.

Kudos to you for thinking your way out of the mind-control. That takes courage and, frequently, tenacity!

• Like 4

@MOHO I think another important thing to note is while readers may have a different experience, if their partner does happen to stop believing too, it's not an easy road.

Deconversion doesn't fix every marriage problem. Sure it helps with some issues, but it also creates new ones. For example you might deconvert at different speeds, develop conflicting views, etc. The big issue is if your marriage REVOLVED around faith, you are now left wondering who you are as a couple. It's a weird situation to be in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, FreeFromGuilt said:

The big issue is if your marriage REVOLVED around faith, you are now left wondering who you are as a couple. It's a weird situation to be in.

I hadn't thought about that aspect, @FreeFromGuilt. Good point and prudent to point that out to those contemplating coming out.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MOHO said:

I hadn't thought about that aspect, @FreeFromGuilt. Good point and prudent to point that out to those contemplating coming out.

Another thing people don't think about is all the hard conversations you are going to have.

When you realize you based your entire relationship on a fairytale, you start realizing how many things each of you did wrong to eachother in the name of those fairytales. Some good memories will turn bad, you might get angry about something that happened 2 years ago because you suddenly have a new perspective, and your spouse will remind you of things you had forgotten about. 

I will admit it's definitely better than the alternative of your spouse thinking you are going to Hell, but people don't realize how much harder deconversion can be when it's not only you going through it, but your spouse too. 

The awesome part of it though is your spouse knows EXACTLY what you're going through. They went to the SAME church, heard the SAME sermons, watched your faith both grow and deconstruct. It's really amazing to have someone who can 100% relate to your struggles. 

On these forums you read stories that you can kinda relate to, but not exactly. They held different beliefs about certain things, had different family, different pastors, different influences...so there is a lot of explaining and comparing notes.

When you can talk to your spouse about your deconversion it's truly amazing because they can be like, "Yes! That sermon was awful! Do you remember when the Pastor said this..."

I do feel fortunate to have my husband deconverting with me. 😊

• Like 5

WELCOME! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks for your story. In a way, familiar, with the college age crisis. I learned, through reading and having some little therapy with cult recovery trained therapists, that usually these groups get you in a very vulnerable moment in life. Either as a child, or later. I recommend reading about cults and mind control and recovery. From a wide range of authors. Jon Atack has a youtube channel about it. Steve Hassan, Janja Lalich and personal favourite, Alexandra Stein, Terror Love and Brainwashing. Of course, read critically. This is not about another believe every word of every book thing. ;)   

In the moment, I am going through a phase where christianity sounds more and more absurd.

Stefan