Goodbye Jesus

Example: Human behaviour from today and in the OT proves bible god is not real

Steviejay

8 minutes ago, WalterP said:

I have one further question for you please, SV.

Do you understand the reason why science must be silent and agnostic about the supernatural?

Thank you.

Walter.

Science is a methodology of observation and testing. But I never heard a scientist asking for God to reveal Himself directly. Or testing the Word of God in truth. Why can't you test the supernatural?

One thing I think is being completely overlooked is the evidence presented about the remains of sulphur in the ruins of Sodom. According to SCIENCE, it has been documented that the only sulphur found in nature is that which is created by geological processes and does not rain on the Earth in an elemental form. The sulphur at Sodom is completely different to natural sulphur.

This alone is absolutely amazing but I just see people insulting me and asking me to provide different arguments. I'd say God's wrath is supernatural. You can test it. You have seen people testing it.

He who has ears, let him hear.

3 hours ago, Bhim said:

denigrate his god..

Denigrate; to criticize unfairly

So you admit that you don't have anything factual against God, you're just a wicked slanderer. Yet you worship a 4 legged beast that He made. 🤭

• Super Moderator

@SilentVoice

I posted this yesterday, but you might have missed it. This article explains the natural phenomenon regarding those sulfur nodules. There are other articles like it, but some are so technical in biochemistry and geology, it is beyond me to understand it.

http://www.csun.edu/~vcgeo005/Sodom.pdf

11 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:

Science is a methodology of observation and testing. But I never heard a scientist asking for God to reveal Himself directly. Or testing the Word of God in truth. Why can't you test the supernatural?

One thing I think is being completely overlooked is the evidence presented about the remains of sulphur in the ruins of Sodom. According to SCIENCE, it has been documented that the only sulphur found in nature is that which is created by geological processes and does not rain on the Earth in an elemental form. The sulphur at Sodom is completely different to natural sulphur.

This alone is absolutely amazing but I just see people insulting me and asking me to provide different arguments. I'd say God's wrath is supernatural. You can test it. You have seen people testing it.

I see that you don't really understand the reason why science must be silent and agnostic about the supernatural, SV.

Then I will explain it to you.

If a belief in the supernatural were a requirement to perform scientific investigation, then how would a collaboration of Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Sikh scientists agree on which belief in the supernatural they should all use?

Each of them believes their own religion to be the true one and all the others to be false.

There could never be any agreement and so nothing could ever be investigated.

For properly disciplined and rigorous investigation to proceed, all the scientists taking part must agree on one consistent and overarching methodology.

Therefore, the only workable solution is for everyone to put their religious beliefs to one side and to agree to adopt an agnostic methodology that excludes the supernatural.

This does not prevent them from privately holding to supernatural beliefs, but professionally they must exclude the supernatural from their scientific work.

That is one reason why science only ever investigates the natural and is silent on the supernatural.

Thank you.

Walter.

38 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:

Yes, but you don't believe in science, SV. I mean, if a camera taking video of the space station orbiting a round earth is really a fraud, then sulphur deposits in the middle east is also a fraud. You just can't trust this science stuff, SV. 

11 minutes ago, Hierophant said:

@SilentVoice

I posted this yesterday, but you might have missed it. This article explains the natural phenomenon regarding those sulfur nodules. There are other articles like it, but some are so technical in biochemistry and geology, it is beyond me to understand it.

http://www.csun.edu/~vcgeo005/Sodom.pdf

He's trying to explain away something shocking. Who is ready to study chemistry? 🙋‍♂️👨‍🏫

Look on page 184;

"The sulfur nodules were likely generated by anaerobic bacteria that locally converted the sulfate of the gypsum (or anhydrite) into elemental sulfur. The biologic processes that produced the elemental sulfur are described by Bishop and others (2013) and are too complicated to explain here for the average reader nottrained in chemistry and microbiology. If the nodules of white sulfur were truly burning masses that rained down on soft ash which was produced by enormous temperatures in a “fire and brimstone” storm, then there should be evidence of the impacts of these relatively large masses on the soft thin layers of the anhydrite beds, disturbing the layering and creating craters with rims, and none is observed. Even large raindrops (much smaller than the sulfur nodules) falling on soft mud can create craters with raised splash rims that are commonly preserved in some sedimentary rocks, and these craters then give evidence to geologists as to the orientation of an “up-direction” in layered rock sequences"

1) Why is he claiming that there are no impact craters on the surface? You can literally see them in the documentary videos.

2) Why would a city be built on soft mud? Asking for preserved mud splashes containing super heated elements is kind of stupid, don't you think? Especially if you consider that the rocks that the city was built on literally heated so much that they flake when touched. How on earth is a mud splash supposed to have survived?

Now let's take a look at this "too complicated" study

Bishop and others (2013) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3788093/

Their premise; God didn't do it, it must have been bacteria. They set out to prove that it wasn't supernatural. That doesn't sound very scientific.

Their conclusion; God didn't do it. Even though there is no evidence of bacteria doing it, it must have been bacteria.

Read carefully;

Their proposition:

"We propose that sulfur nodules in the Lisan Formation are generated through bacterial sulfate reduction, which terminates at elemental sulfur. We speculate that the sulfate-saturated pore fluids, coupled with the low availability of an electron donor, terminates the trithionate pathway before the final two-electron reduction, producing thionites, which then disproportionate to form abundant elemental sulfur."

"The primary product of bacterial sulfate reduction is typically hydrogen sulfide, which is reactive towards sedimentary iron, forming pyrite, or can be reoxidized back to sulfate or other higher valence state sulfur species [4,6]. One of the intermediate valence state sulfur species that can be the product of either sulfate reduction or sulfide reoxidation is elemental sulfur, S0"

Their conclusion:

We use our data to conclude instead that elemental sulfur nodules in the Lake Lisan were formed by reduction of sulfate through bacterial sulfate reduction during gypsum diagenesis, terminating at elemental sulfur.

We have several reasons for making this conclusion. One of the primarily reasons is that there is no pyrite found within the formation [12,36]. We would expect, given that we have significant concentrations of iron within the gypsum close to the nodule, if sulfide was formed during bacterial sulfate reduction, then some pyrite should be present.

So instead of bacteria eating away at rocks and converting compounds and leaving behind pyrite, there was no pyrite.... but bacteria still did it! It must have been a different compound that is no longer there! (Greigite Fe3S4) Honest! Guess what? It sounds like the sulphur appeared quite suddenly. 🤷‍♂️🙏

Wikipedia says that these bacteria produce hydrogen sulphide, not just TYPICALLY. I thought I'd add this, in case anyone thought there could be another alternative.

"Sulfate-reducing microorganisms (SRM) or sulfate-reducing prokaryotes (SRP) are a group composed of sulfate-reducing bacteria (SRB) and sulfate-reducing archaea (SRA), both of which can perform anaerobic respiration utilizing sulfate (SO42–) as terminal electron acceptor, reducing it to hydrogen sulfide (H2S).[1][2] "

1 hour ago, SilentVoice said:

Denigrate; to criticize unfairly

So you admit that you don't have anything factual against God, you're just a wicked slanderer. Yet you worship a 4 legged beast that He made. 🤭

Surely you can do better than this. Resorting to schoolyard taunts clearly implies that Jesus is impotent to sanctify your soul from enslavement to sin. You're dead in your sins. Good thing hell doesn't exist.

The male prostitute from Mark 14 makes it pretty clear though that Jesus was not impotent in other respects...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Matthew 12:31-32

Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

41 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Yes, but you don't believe in science, SV. I mean, if a camera taking video of the space station orbiting a round earth is really a fraud, then sulphur deposits in the middle east is also a fraud. You just can't trust this science stuff, SV. 

786a2ed1c7dee75a71bb061aba596298.jpg

• Super Moderator

@SilentVoice

As far as the sulfur goes, why does the natural explanation not suffice for you? I would be fine if you said the science was lacking and did not provide a step by step explanation for the sulfur. It does happen, science has holes in it at times and more investigation is needed to uncover the details. That being said, if the science cannot totally bear it out, the default answer is not therefore, "God did it." If our ancestors did that in the past, then we never would have investigated the world around us or attempted to make the world a better place. Many Christians in the past did not accept that as an answer and wanted to know how God did it.

The fundamental issue here is that you want to claim it was a supernatural event. As @WalterP stated, science cannot investigate the supernatural. There is no method of science to investigate fireballs of sulfur appearing out of thin air. At the end of the day, science can investigate those sulfur nodules and try to find an explanation for their origin. In science, to claim it was supernatural is kind of just giving up on finding an answer that has explanatory power. 

Frankly, we are having a discussion at a level with different assumptions underlying it. I do not believe in a young earth, or a flat earth. Without going into all of that, my two overarching premises would be that the other planets are round, so why would earth be flat; and I have worked in the government for the last 22 years, believe me, they are not that coordinated. A scam of that magnitude would not be kept quite. The cat would have been out of the bag long ago. Moreover, there is no motivation to do such a thing. No one benefits from it. People do not go to work for NASA just to join the conspiracy. I know that you are inclined to think that this is some plot from Satan to dismiss the Bible, but I will tell you, the world is not that exciting. I have never been into conspiracies, but I can understand the allure of them.

Have you seen the movie "Beyond the Curve"? I think you should check it out. It does not really say anything one way or the other, but I found it really interesting.

51 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:

Matthew 12:31-32

Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Yeah I definitely speak against the holy ghost too. Because he's not real, and hell is not real. Yes yes, I know. You think my religion isn't real. But my religion doesn't require me to worry about what you think. Jesus, on the other hand, explicitly commands you to care about what I think about him, and to change my opinion. So you're basically stuck here with me.

I still can't stop thinking about the unsettling fact that your deity had a male prostitute. That's gross, man...

5 hours ago, SilentVoice said:

I quoted a cited Wikipedia page containing information about the natural (i.e. not supernatural) formation of sulphur on Earth. You can find the post earlier in the thread. But I guess that's too easy for you.

You didn't manage to make a connection to your alleged god, though.

5 hours ago, SilentVoice said:

Did the Akkadian religion survive? Do the Akkadianists perform miracles, minister to the poor and afflicted? Did they form western civilization? What god of theirs preserved their scripture through oppression? You know anyone that heard it speak? Just curious.

Yes, the Akkadian religion did survive -- one of the sons of El became Yahweh, alias, Jehovah, alias your imaginary friend.  Similarly, Christianity syncretized multiple other ideas from Judaism, Egyptian mythology and Greek mythology.  The boundaries between mythologies are paper-thin.

And it's all silly crap regardless of the country of origin.  You don't need to be religious to minister to the poor and afflicted.  Anyone with the proper materials can write (and rewrite and rewrite) a scripture or make multiple copies of it.  And anyone can make up barmy stories about miracles and gods that talk to mortals.

Humanity never actually needed gods.  We only thought we did, because what we didn't know about the world terrified us.  Now we're growing beyond that point, and not a moment too soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilentVoice said:

He's trying to explain away something shocking. Who is ready to study chemistry? 🙋‍♂️👨‍🏫

Look on page 184;

"The sulfur nodules were likely generated by anaerobic bacteria that locally converted the sulfate of the gypsum (or anhydrite) into elemental sulfur. The biologic processes that produced the elemental sulfur are described by Bishop and others (2013) and are too complicated to explain here for the average reader nottrained in chemistry and microbiology. If the nodules of white sulfur were truly burning masses that rained down on soft ash which was produced by enormous temperatures in a “fire and brimstone” storm, then there should be evidence of the impacts of these relatively large masses on the soft thin layers of the anhydrite beds, disturbing the layering and creating craters with rims, and none is observed. Even large raindrops (much smaller than the sulfur nodules) falling on soft mud can create craters with raised splash rims that are commonly preserved in some sedimentary rocks, and these craters then give evidence to geologists as to the orientation of an “up-direction” in layered rock sequences"

1) Why is he claiming that there are no impact craters on the surface? You can literally see them in the documentary videos.

2) Why would a city be built on soft mud? Asking for preserved mud splashes containing super heated elements is kind of stupid, don't you think? Especially if you consider that the rocks that the city was built on literally heated so much that they flake when touched. How on earth is a mud splash supposed to have survived?

Now let's take a look at this "too complicated" study

Bishop and others (2013) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3788093/

Their premise; God didn't do it, it must have been bacteria. They set out to prove that it wasn't supernatural. That doesn't sound very scientific.

Their conclusion; God didn't do it. Even though there is no evidence of bacteria doing it, it must have been bacteria.

Read carefully;

Their proposition:

"We propose that sulfur nodules in the Lisan Formation are generated through bacterial sulfate reduction, which terminates at elemental sulfur. We speculate that the sulfate-saturated pore fluids, coupled with the low availability of an electron donor, terminates the trithionate pathway before the final two-electron reduction, producing thionites, which then disproportionate to form abundant elemental sulfur."

"The primary product of bacterial sulfate reduction is typically hydrogen sulfide, which is reactive towards sedimentary iron, forming pyrite, or can be reoxidized back to sulfate or other higher valence state sulfur species [4,6]. One of the intermediate valence state sulfur species that can be the product of either sulfate reduction or sulfide reoxidation is elemental sulfur, S0"

Their conclusion:

We use our data to conclude instead that elemental sulfur nodules in the Lake Lisan were formed by reduction of sulfate through bacterial sulfate reduction during gypsum diagenesis, terminating at elemental sulfur.

We have several reasons for making this conclusion. One of the primarily reasons is that there is no pyrite found within the formation [12,36]. We would expect, given that we have significant concentrations of iron within the gypsum close to the nodule, if sulfide was formed during bacterial sulfate reduction, then some pyrite should be present.

So instead of bacteria eating away at rocks and converting compounds and leaving behind pyrite, there was no pyrite.... but bacteria still did it! It must have been a different compound that is no longer there! (Greigite Fe3S4) Honest! Guess what? It sounds like the sulphur appeared quite suddenly. 🤷‍♂️🙏

Wikipedia says that these bacteria produce hydrogen sulphide, not just TYPICALLY. I thought I'd add this, in case anyone thought there could be another alternative.

"Sulfate-reducing microorganisms (SRM) or sulfate-reducing prokaryotes (SRP) are a group composed of sulfate-reducing bacteria (SRB) and sulfate-reducing archaea (SRA), both of which can perform anaerobic respiration utilizing sulfate (SO42–) as terminal electron acceptor, reducing it to hydrogen sulfide (H2S).[1][2] "

Lord Jesus, please just send us a message here in this forum, in plain English to confirm your existence and the authenticity of the Bible. Just a quick post, nothing elaborate. Then your servant SV wont need to continue to try to infer your existence from a convoluted story about sulphur deposits in the Middle East. It would be so easy to just write us a message...instead of remaining quiet which leads me to believe that you are just part of SV's imagination. 

Anyway, in the name of Jesus I pray. Amen. 

I stopped reading several pages back.  SV needs to visit a psychiatrist ASAP.  You will get absolutely nowhere in further discussions with him.

• Like 1

SilentVoice,

When scientists investigate the sulphur deposits you've been talking about, what is the only practical methodology that they can all agree upon?

Thank you.

Walter.

91442b2f85d76cc7910646c82e7971d8--anti-r

The whole sulphur thing is getting boring now. Science has thrown tons of evidence to show the bible up for what it is...Flat earth, Leprocy cure etc etc

and SV is still clinging on to the sulphur......IT DOESN'T PROVE YAHWEH, ONE OF THE SMALLER GODS FROM EL, IS ANYTHING LIKE THE CREATOR AND MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE OR HUMAN RACE.....FAR TOO PRIMITIVE

There's tons and tons of stuff WRONG in the Bible and most of us on here HAVE SEEN THE LIES (LIGHT).......But Hey! There's some sulphur so it all must be true and all the Scientists are idiots. You are making your Bible FIT the evidence instead of seeing where the evidence leads (and this is what Christians do instead of saying SHIT, My book got most things wrong and maybe this book I base my whole life on is bullshit!!

Wake up SV...please......Leprosy....Flat Earth.....and prayer

and these are jusr 3 things you can test yourself that are WRONG in the Bible out of hundreds and hundreds of bible mistakes

STOP BEING STUBBORN and wake up to reality. You're only a Christian to SAVE yourself and you only try to save other because your book threatens you if you DON'T...Carrot and stick

b54f5368e9e577cc0d7059af8166c68e--word-o1f0f5c0dfaf29f4ae317860758578a9a--flat-eas-the-storm-raged-the-captain-realized-

• Like 2

SV. The Bible contains some TRUTH, some HALF TRUTHS and many LIES

This is why this book is so dangerous because the "Believer" will then always cling to the TRUE bits and the HALF TRUTH (Cannot be proved either way for sure) for their security and then totally IGNORE all the lies, fake statement, attrocities, murders, rapes, injustices etc

Would you look at ONLY the TRUTH, HALF TRUTHS, the "good" and agreeable bits of the book if it was Hitler's autobiography

18 hours ago, Bhim said:

I'd love to discuss this further in a separate thread, and I think it would be a far more interesting discussion than the conversation that the aforementioned Asperger's Christian wants to have concerning sulfur balls and the definition of the word "destroy." If not, then I just want to end by saying that I hope this doesn't affect our ability to continue interacting on friendly terms.

Yes agree it would be more interesting. I can't tell if this guy is genuine, a Poe or outright troll. There are certainly some things that we can unpack.

And no, it won't affect our ability to interact. By know you'll have noticed I have a fairly thick skin and hard attitude when it comes to discussing things on forums. I say if you can't take the heat don't hop in the fire. I have friends and family who use racist terms like nigger all the time, and while I despise that it doesn't stop me from loving them. But it does affect my respect towards them I guess.

I'll create a post in the ToT with a proper response using your reply and my initial response.

PS: This was nothing to do with enforcing forum rules which is why it wasn't typed in red. As far as I'm aware we have a free speech policy here.

19 hours ago, Bhim said:

Hi @LogicalFallacy. Thanks for the respect, it is mutual. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I can relate, since I have a much younger cousin with a far more severe version of autism, such that he can't speak well into his teen years, and his care is a full time job on the part of his parents. I can fully understand why you would be driven to such anger if someone insulted your friend to your face. All of that is going to make it harder for me to say that no, I can't reduce the frequency with which I joke about Asperger's Christians.

If you'd asked me a few years ago, I'd have thought nothing of simply acceding to your request. But, as I've discussed in various threads concerning my support for Donald Trump, I am deeply concerned with a growing movement to censor private individuals' free speech, culminating in the recent race riots in which personal threats of physical violence are made against low-profile individuals on the basis of casual comments or expressed opinions. I know that in your above post you are not threatening me personally, just as you are aware that I am not insulting your friend (I didn't even know he existed until just now). Nor do I have any ill will to anyone who actually has Asperger's. But this affected my social circle recently when last week, my father's colleague was physically assaulted in his home - he is currently in the ICU with life-threatening injuries - because he said on social media words to the effect of "why do we need to celebrate George Floyd?" I know that you're not trying to associate with any broader social movement. You're just making this request of me because of your friend. I'm also aware that it's possible I'm violating some arcane forum rule and could be removed for refusing to stop saying "Asperger's Christian," which would be unfortunate for me since this has been an important community to me for well over seven years now.

Yet I feel that if I stop referring to SV as an Asperger's Christian, I'm participating in a culture of cowardice and censorship of the type that is causing people like my dad's coworker (and possibly himself, since he too doesn't care about George Floyd or systemic racism) to literally get beat up. This was a serious enough incident that I've taken steps to ensure that should someone be inclined to violence against me on the grounds of my offensive speech, I'm prepared to defend myself with a firearm. Which was a fairly big step because I don't prefer to have guns at home. And again, I have to reiterate that I am aware you are not threatening me personally with violence. I mean, you're in New Zealand. If you spend money on a plane ticket to the United States just to punch me in the face, you're probably entitled to at least one free punch. But I just don't believe in filtering myself, especially when discussing important topics like religion. I'd rather not have the conversation at all than converse with a metaphorical gun to my head.

I'd love to discuss this further in a separate thread, and I think it would be a far more interesting discussion than the conversation that the aforementioned Asperger's Christian wants to have concerning sulfur balls and the definition of the word "destroy." If not, then I just want to end by saying that I hope this doesn't affect our ability to continue interacting on friendly terms.

^^ Imo the above post is an example of some pretty adroit psychological manoeuvering/manipulation  in which the person without the ability or desire to feel any empathy for others (certainly a pattern there, there's even been expressions of hatred towards some groups in other threads) positions themselves as the victim and solicites understanding for this, because they weren't allowed to be a dick, ie express their feelings of indifference toward the experiences of others. 

9 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

^^ Imo the above post is an example of some pretty adroit psychological manoeuvering/manipulation  in which the person without the ability or desire to feel any empathy for others (certainly a pattern there, there's even been expressions of hatred towards some groups in other threads) positions themselves as the victim and solicites understanding for this, because they weren't allowed to be a dick, ie express their feelings of indifference toward the experiences of others. 

While under the guise of claiming some higher, moral purpose which he zealously defends.

'No, I won't stop labelling people as mentally ill because if I did it would mean I'd have to concede that it is immoral and my political opponents would score a moral victory over me'.

2 hours ago, Steviejay said:

Wake up SV...please......Leprosy....Flat Earth.....and prayer

and these are jusr 3 things you can test yourself that are WRONG in the Bible out of hundreds and hundreds of bible mistakes

STOP BEING STUBBORN and wake up to reality. You're only a Christian to SAVE yourself and you only try to save other because your book threatens you if you DON'T...Carrot and stick

b54f5368e9e577cc0d7059af8166c68e--word-o1f0f5c0dfaf29f4ae317860758578a9a--flat-eas-the-storm-raged-the-captain-realized-

Looking at your pictures I thought they were stupid.

1) If God isn't real, how could leprosy be treated by <whatever those birds and bowl mean because I can't read the small text>? If you're suggesting that backward religious ceremonies have no power to heal anyone then why were people healed in the bible? Surely the bible would be full of people whining about not being healed but still being told to have faith. It is written with people being healed and thanking God for it or lamenting their sins. Also if God wanted to kill someone with leprosy He wouldn't allow medication to work. God is very clear when He punishes someone. My favourite example of how He punishes wicked people is by giving blasphemers throat cancer.

2) The church doesn't say the Earth is flat. The Catholic church embraced the big bang theory.

3) A cartoon picture which doesn't mean anything. I could just as easily edit the picture to show a bunch of atheists floating in the water being eaten by sharks, and the person who knew how to pray just standing on water watching it happen.

6 minutes ago, SilentVoice said:

'No, I won't stop labelling people as mentally ill because if I did it would mean I'd have to concede that it is immoral and my political opponents would score a moral victory over me'.

Christianity is a mental illness....all reason, science and logic goes out the window via talking snakes and donkeys, staffs turning into snakes, seas parting etc etc but i'm sure when you bought your house and care you never relied on such silly faith. With a house purchase you probably checked all details and any sign of talking sales people turning into snakes would of made you run a mile/kilometre

A scientific study of the physical evidence of God's wrath concluded that the proposed non-supernatural method of creating it was still true, even though every other time the method to create similar substances occurred, there was a specific chemical left behind which was not found in the ruins of Sodom.

Satan didn't steal your brain, only your heart. It's not that you're too stupid to figure this out, or read scientific journals. It's simply that your heart is turned from God.