Goodbye Jesus

Evolution 101 Podcasts By Dr. Zachary Moore

Zach

I will be participating in a new show hosted by the Infidel Guy, "Evolution 101." Anyone interested in posting questions for the show may do so at this website. Also, anyone who knows of any individuals who may be able to contribute as scientific guests, let me know here or by email.

• Admin

You've become quite the apologist Zach. That's meant as a compliment!

Dr. Zachary Moore is a scientist specializing in molecular biology, a contributor and moderator for this site, and an ex-Christian. A big thank-you to Dr. Zach for allowing us to feature his podcast efforts here. Also, be sure to check out his Evolution 101 website at http://www.drzach.net/evolution101/

The feed is available on the iTunes directory, or you can find it here.

You're becoming quite the apologist.  That's meant as a compliment.

And I'll take it as such, although honestly I'm not sure how I got to this point.

What a great idea. There is so much that people don't understand about the subject. With a little education the lightbulbs will turn on and hopefully some of the stupidity will take a lull.

someone should publish a book Reality for Dummies, included:

fantasy books, debunked

fantasy theories revealed

evolution 101

The Sun is 99.9% of the entire mass of this solar system

and more

• Admin
And I'll take it as such, although honestly I'm not sure how I got to this point.

Kismet?

Way to go, Zach! Glad you got on the program!

HOLY CRAP ON A STICK!!! Dr. Massimo Pigliucci is a contributor???

I loved his book "Denying Evolution!" It was quite terrific. ^_^

I will be participating in a new show hosted by the Infidel Guy, "Evolution 101." Anyone interested in posting questions for the show may do so at this website. Also, anyone who knows of any individuals who may be able to contribute as scientific guests, let me know here or by email.

98111[/snapback]

Is this show going to be available as a podcast as well? Is there a date you guys are throwing around for the start of the show?

Those are both decisions that Reggie will be making, as host and producer. As soon as I know, I'll let you know here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the phone with Reggie- the show will premiere tomorrow, Saturday November 19th, at 11AM EST.

Don't forget to tune in.

Already heckling everyone I know to listen.

Hey, Zach! You rocked all over my question about ERVs. Good show! I actually learned a thing or two a lot!

I'm glad you skipped that second question I asked (the one about molecular evidence for beneficial mutations), because I'm not sure why I asked that. It might have been one of those middle-of-the-night things where I meant to ask something else and it came out stupid. I don't even remember what it is I was originally asking.

If you guys want to just erase that question, be my guest. In fact, please do that. Cast that question into the abyss.

Again, great show! You can expect regular questions from me.

The best and possibly most famous atheist would be James Randi. Hes appeared on Penn & Tellers latest show "Bullshit" which was one of the funniest shows I've seen for a long time.

If you have a show of this type it would be well worth contacting him for his input. www.randi.org

Neil-

I actually did mention beneficial mutations in response to another question (from that chat room? will have to re-listen). Otherwise, I would have mentioned your second.

I realized halfway in that the concepts I was talking about were pretty technical- some fundamental understanding of molecular genetics is needed to even understand something like a mutation. I was using Reggie as a gauge to estimate how accessible my explanations were to a layman. Radio isn't the most effective way to communicate some of these concepts- I'm used to using PowerPoint.

Wertbag-

James Randi is a great guy, but he doesn't really come from a scientific background per se, so I don't know how relevant he would be to a show like this. I have, however, contacted Dr. Theobald from talk.origins.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:

This show is now a weekly podcast produced entirely by myself. The feed is available on the iTunes directory, or you can find it here.

The show website is here.

Archives are available at Freethought Media (run by the Infidel Guy) here.

Transcripts of the episodes can be found here.

• 1 month later...

Hey Zach

I just recently got a chance to listen to the shows and I was amazed.... I was first blown away about my own misconceptions about Evolution and 2nd I was amazed on how informitive and and accessable to the average person you made the show

Great Work!!

Keep it up!

--Lunar Shadow

Glad to be helpful!

I was reading through the Evolution 101 transcripts and came across something I don't understand:

"Both of these functions are carried out by enzymes whose genes are encoded for within the retrotransposon sequence itself- pretty clever."

To who or what was Dr. Zachary referring as being "pretty clever"

:shrug:

There are several activist athiests at my university... but are you looking for more prominent figures? I just go to a small liberal arts university that fancies itself "the Harvard of the Midwest." In other words, more uppity and self-righteous than your average liberal arts college.

(Do I have to say that is totally ridiculous? Who would WANT to be Harvard anyway? Sigh...)

Zach,

I listened attentively to four of your podcasts so far. Your style has changed for the better and I find it very direct, informative and prepared. It is neither so dry as a formal speech, nor so provocative as sermonizing orator.

It has an authoritative feel.

Keep up the good work!

I was reading through the Evolution 101 transcripts and came across something I don't understand:

"Both of these functions are carried out by enzymes whose genes are encoded for within the retrotransposon sequence itself- pretty clever."

To who or what was Dr. Zachary referring as being "pretty clever"

:shrug:

Anthropomorphisms are used sometimes when talking about biological mechanisms as a way of making things more relatable to non-scientists. In that instance, I was doing just that- and also trying to be a little funny, too.

Particularly within the context of the creationist claims to the contrary, though, anthropomorphisms can suggest things that aren't supported by evolutionary theory, i.e., a teleological dimension. This can make it confusing to some who aren't fully aware of the distinction, and so it can be confusing. I apologize for the confusion, and I'll try to limit my use of them in the future.

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.

There are several activist athiests at my university... but are you looking for more prominent figures? I just go to a small liberal arts university that fancies itself "the Harvard of the Midwest." In other words, more uppity and self-righteous than your average liberal arts college.

(Do I have to say that is totally ridiculous? Who would WANT to be Harvard anyway? Sigh...)

Not really. The first post on this thread is from when the show was going to be hosted by the Infidel Guy in the same format as his Bible Geek show (now just Bob Price), only with different guests. I was one of the guests, and Dr. Massimo Pigliucci was the other one. Shortly after that, IG had to abandon thr project, and I've taken it over as a weekly ten minute podcast. I'm not really set up to do interviews, although that may be a possibility in the future. I am open to the idea of a team podcast, though, so if you know any science professors that feel strongly about evolutionary theory and are able to record ten minute answers to evolutionary questions, by all means let me know.

Oh, and they don't have to be atheists- Ken Miller is one of evolutionary theory's best advocates, and he's a professed Catholic.