Water Vapour in the SKy

On 7/4/2020 at 3:41 PM, mwc said:

Likewise they would not have been able to conceive of the various astronomical objects simply "floating" in space. 

Oh okay, as long as you say so....

He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothingJob 26:7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mwc is right Justus.

They couldn't conceive of various astronomical objects simply 'floating' in space.

Things only 'hang' when there is a gravitational field acting upon them.

For the Earth to be 'hanging' in space there would have to be a gravitational field 'pulling' downwards upon it.  

There is no such thing. There is no up or down in space.

The Earth orbits the Sun, following a path in curved space-time dictated by the mass of the Sun.

In no way can the Earth be described as 'hanging' from the Sun.

Therefore mwc is right.  

Thank you.

Walter.

15 hours ago, Justus said:

If you read  Genesis 1:20 then it would be obvious why  the term 'firmament' is associated with the atmosphere. 

Oh okay, as long as you say so....

He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothingJob 26:7

So why does NASA claim on it's website that "a cloud is made of water drops or ice crystals floating in the sky."?  

"When above the Earth, water is in the form of water vapor which forms into clouds."

Dense clouds of water vapor will form tiny  droplets of water or ice within them by condensing upon fine particulates in the upper atmosphere such as dust, smog, bacteria, etc. When these minuscule water/ice droplets become densely packed together we observe them as clouds. If the droplets within dense clouds become large enough and cool enough, it will rain, snow, or hail. Because the temperate in the upper atmosphere is much colder than the Earth's surface, most rain in the winter starts as ice or snow in the upper atmosphere and melts on its way down becoming rain.

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/condensation-and-water-cycle?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

On 7/5/2020 at 11:08 AM, mwc said:

Two sorts of things are placed here one being birds and the other being celestial objects.

Well, there are two heavens described inIn Genesis 1.

In Genesis 1:1 you have the heaven being the expanse of space which forms the physical world we call the universe. That is where all the celestial bodies, or planets.

exist within.

Just for curiosity sake, how do you classified space, is it nothing or is it something?  If it is something then what do you think it is?  It can't be matter if all matter has mass since two object of mass can't can occupy the same area at the same time.

Then in Genesis 1:8 you have the firmament which separates the celestial body from the expanse of space, it too is called heaven. 

In the book of Job, the firmament is also referred unto as the cloud that the LORD covered the earth with like a garment in the beginning that was made from the frozen waters that covered the entire surface of the celestial body we call earth.    It is also the cloud which the LORD set the bow that when looked upon it "And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh."  The reason the atmosphere has a bow in it is because the earth is spherical in shape and no matter what direction you look at it from above you will see that bow in the atmosphere.  

1 hour ago, Justus said:

In Genesis 1:1 you have the heaven being the expanse of space which forms the physical world we call the universe. That is where all the celestial bodies, or planets.

exist within.

Just for curiosity sake, how do you classified space, is it nothing or is it something?  If it is something then what do you think it is?  It can't be matter if all matter has mass since two object of mass can't can occupy the same area at the same time.

Then in Genesis 1:8 you have the firmament which separates the celestial body from the expanse of space, it too is called heaven. 

In the book of Job, the firmament is also referred unto as the cloud that the LORD covered the earth with like a garment in the beginning that was made from the frozen waters that covered the entire surface of the celestial body we call earth.    It is also the cloud which the LORD set the bow that when looked upon it "And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh."  The reason the atmosphere has a bow in it is because the earth is spherical in shape and no matter what direction you look at it from above you will see that bow in the atmosphere.  

I have killed most every one in a great flood. But I will never do that again. So love me!

45 minutes ago, midniterider said:

I have killed most every one in a great flood. But I will never do that again. So love me!

Well, if you believed the LORD murdered almost everyone in a great flood after he placed his bow in the cloud then you probably believe that a rainbow is the result of light refraction then too.  In which case brings me to the Thomas Paine quote that trying to reason with someone who forsaken reason itself is like giving medicine to a dead person.  

But FYI, a rainbow isn't produced by light refraction, light refraction simply directs the electromagnetic wave in a different direction which produces the visible multi-colored band depending on one's viewing position relative to the angle of refraction.  The bow, or curvature of the multi-colored band of refracted light is cause by the curvature of the earth's atmosphere, or that bow in the cloud that covers the earth like a garment.  LOL, science you got to love it. 

prism-sm.jpg

But look on the bright side, at least you got up to a 120 years to live...

1 hour ago, Justus said:

Well, if you believed the LORD murdered almost everyone in a great flood after he placed his bow in the cloud then you probably believe that a rainbow is the result of light refraction then too.  In which case brings me to the Thomas Paine quote that trying to reason with someone who forsaken reason itself is like giving medicine to a dead person.  

But FYI, a rainbow isn't produced by light refraction, light refraction simply directs the electromagnetic wave in a different direction which produces the visible multi-colored band depending on one's viewing position relative to the angle of refraction.  The bow, or curvature of the multi-colored band of refracted light is cause by the curvature of the earth's atmosphere, or that bow in the cloud that covers the earth like a garment.  LOL, science you got to love it. 

prism-sm.jpg

Oh YEAH!!??

Well, your mother was a hamster!    :)

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Justus said:

prism-sm.jpg

Isn't it amazing how you can take a line from a member here, completely miss or ignore the point, then suggest they believe something (when in fact they don't) or have said something (when in fact they haven't). You seem to be chronically afflicted by this condition, Justus, because you keep on doing this.

FYI - According to the story God killed everyone and everything BEFORE placing the rainbow in the sky, then has a moment of conscience and promises never to flood the world again.

But fear not, those of you who love judgement, pain and suffering - apparently the world will burn in fire and the righteous will step out on the ashes of the damned.

Malachi 4:1-3

[a]Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and the day that is coming will set them on fire,” says the Lord Almighty. “Not a root or a branch will be left to them. But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its rays. And you will go out and frolic like well-fed calves. Then you will trample on the wicked; they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty.

Oh aren't you moved to tears with the mighty justice of the Lord God of Hosts?

3 hours ago, midniterider said:

Oh YEAH!!??

Well, your mother was a hamster!    :)

And your father was a goat!

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

And your father was a goat!

I thought he smelled of Elderberries? hmmm. :)

Malachi 4:1-3

[a]Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and the day that is coming will set them on fire,” says the Lord Almighty. “Not a root or a branch will be left to them. But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its rays. And you will go out and frolic like well-fed calves. Then you will trample on the wicked; they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty.

When the earth is burning and the righteous are trampling the wicked, do we still get rainbows? I really like rainbows....they are God's promise not to flood the earth ever again! 

2 hours ago, midniterider said:

When the earth is burning and the righteous are trampling the wicked, do we still get rainbows? I really like rainbows....they are God's promise not to flood the earth ever again! 

I refer back to Justus's scientific explanation of how rainbows form. Considering one needs water vapour for rainbows to form, and also considering that with a burning earth and all the ashes that will be going on, I highly doubt there will be rainbows. However, take heart my friend, due to the ash in the atmosphere you'll likely be treated to some glorious red/orange hued days, especially around sunrise and sunset. Praise be to the holy one!.

See first you'll have this:

fireworld.jpg

Followed by this:

1200px-Swifts_creek_14-12-2006_1600_-2.jpg

Ending with this:

illusion_of_mist_hellscape_by_nathanmarciniak.jpg

3 hours ago, midniterider said:

I thought he smelled of Elderberries? hmmm. :)

You silly Kinnigit!

17 hours ago, Justus said:

exist within.

Are you sure of this?

There's nothing I can find that agrees with this.  I have found authors that speak to a "heaven" being created (ie. a place for god) but not "space" (ie. the universe).  This idea seems to exist with Philo of Alexandria as well as in 2 Enoch and is less well formed in Josephus.

Later authors seem to pivot to the idea that this is an introductory phrase and has nothing to do with creation at all.  It simply tells us that what is the creation story is about which is the creation of the heavens and the earth.  The next phrase is where the creation begins (with the earth being without form).  However some think nothing happens until god speaks with all the previous phrasing being the lead-up.

More recent authors simply take the first phrase as a sort of "big bang" moment with the universe and earth (somehow simultaneous yet separate) popping into existence in this first phrase.

Anyhow, back to my initial point.  How are we sure of this when we have our more ancient sources thinking otherwise?  They seemed to not picture what you're imagining.

What?

Sure.  Makes sense.  If you want to be really clear you'd want to call two different things heaven.  Anyhow, the heaven in Genesis 1:1, according to Philo, is incorporeal.  It's the realm of the gods.  2 Enoch has gods throne there.  This is Heaven.  So since we cannot place stars, planets and other objects in that heaven we need to place them into this heaven, or the sky.  So we're running into trouble.  We're just back to where we started.

I'm not sure where you're looking but the only other place the word in Genesis 1:6 is used is Ezekiel 1:22.  You'll have to explain the how and why you want to drag all these other things into this because I'm not seeing it.  

mwc