Passover Meal

Does anyone know which day of the week the Jewish meal of Passover is eaten? I'm researching something and I'm not sure. 

Thanks all. 

As far as I can tell, it varies between Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, but if so, that's in current times. Historical practices might have been different. It also seems like some branches of Judaism use slightly different calendars. Perhaps an expert on Judaism might be better suited to answer your question.

• Thanks 1

Rounin is correct in that it can happen on most any day of the week.  Just keep in mind that it must occur during the full moon (or nearly so...it's a full moon feast...so if you check when it happens it's two weeks after the new moon) so it cannot occur at the same time as a fast day nor can it occur at the same time as a solar eclipse (these are not compatible events).  Also, Passover is really just something that occurs at night.  It starts at sundown on the 15th and runs until morning.  All the stuff that happens prior to that is really happening the day before (since Hebrew days are sundown to sundown).  So the 14th has plenty of things happening but aren't really Passover (they're the preparation).  Passover then begins at sundown.  So in our calendar (I'll just make up a Gregorian date for to use for Passover for my example) we might have the Passover start on April 2nd (Nisan 14/15).  All day until sundown this is not Passover but once sundown happens (now Nisan 15), it's still April 2nd, but it's now Passover which continues until sunrise on April 3rd (still Nisan 15, Nisan 16 at sundown).  Using two calendars is what tends to get confusing.

At this point the Feast of Unleavened Bread happens.  This usually doesn't get much fanfare and is just sort of "rolled-into" Passover.  The thing is Passover is just the one night while the Feast of Unleavened Bread is what really goes for the rest of the week.  This day is also when the count to Pentecost starts.  This was another harvest festival but, as we now know, is when jesus decided to fly to heaven.  Seems jesus did lots of stuff on the Jewish feasts.

mwc

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, mwc said:

Rounin is correct in that it can happen on most any day of the week.  Just keep in mind that it must occur during the full moon (or nearly so...it's a full moon feast...so if you check when it happens it's two weeks after the new moon) so it cannot occur at the same time as a fast day nor can it occur at the same time as a solar eclipse (these are not compatible events).  Also, Passover is really just something that occurs at night.  It starts at sundown on the 15th and runs until morning.  All the stuff that happens prior to that is really happening the day before (since Hebrew days are sundown to sundown).  So the 14th has plenty of things happening but aren't really Passover (they're the preparation).  Passover then begins at sundown.  So in our calendar (I'll just make up a Gregorian date for to use for Passover for my example) we might have the Passover start on April 2nd (Nisan 14/15).  All day until sundown this is not Passover but once sundown happens (now Nisan 15), it's still April 2nd, but it's now Passover which continues until sunrise on April 3rd (still Nisan 15, Nisan 16 at sundown).  Using two calendars is what tends to get confusing.

At this point the Feast of Unleavened Bread happens.  This usually doesn't get much fanfare and is just sort of "rolled-into" Passover.  The thing is Passover is just the one night while the Feast of Unleavened Bread is what really goes for the rest of the week.  This day is also when the count to Pentecost starts.  This was another harvest festival but, as we now know, is when jesus decided to fly to heaven.  Seems jesus did lots of stuff on the Jewish feasts.

mwc

Thank you for the reply. I can now move on with my research.