Goodbye Jesus

God, the father of time

AntiChrist

Could the human concept of time, and living life determined by the clock ultimately be a religion?

An observation, resulting construct and subsequent behavior, all relating to time, does not fit any definition of "religion".

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, AntiChrist said:

Could the human concept of time, and living life determined by the clock ultimately be a religion?

I'm not sure what you mean by "determined by the clock", but off the top of my head, would call it an obsession.  HA!  But in a sense, that is religion.

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "determined by the clock", but off the top of my head, would call it an obsession.  HA!  But in a sense, that is religion.

That's basically the concept. 

Talking about time, I happen to be channel flipping early this afternoon (Exact time omitted for topic continuity) There Morgan Freeman was, in a science documentary about time. (There's so many theories about time it made my head spin) Holographic time totally blew my little human mind :D

(It seems that there is no one theory about time, it's all very speculative)

People have attributed supernatural powers to rocks, water, trees, the moon and pretty much any other unexplained thing. One reason I've heard for this is in ancient times the wiseman/witch doctor/elder needed to appear knowledgeable on things they had no way to know. Admitting they were ignorant would cost them their esteemed position, so blaming magic or spirits gave an out with no way anyone could prove them wrong. Pregnancy, tides, lightning, seasons, all started becoming at the will of invisible powerful spirits and rituals/prayers were made to appease them. 

When it comes to time the same thing would apply. It's a hard question with no clear answer, therefore people will ram a god into that gap because they are not allowed to say "I don't know". 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
On 7/19/2020 at 5:21 PM, AntiChrist said:

No, I would call it a tool or a utility. Difficult to imagine how we would coordinate anything together without some idea of time.

Time does not meet the definition of religion, to call it that would obfuscate the agreed upon meaning of religion.