Goodbye Jesus

I found something EVERY atheist should see.

LeiaBryant

• Super Moderator
13 minutes ago, MOHO said:

"whereby those seeking social success generally had to profess atheism and to stay away from houses of worship; this trend became especially militant during the middle of the Stalinist era which lasted from 1929 to 1939."

So, anti-religious states can be just as over-bearing as religious states. Something to keep in mind when publicly promoting one's philosophy. 

The problem there is with the government, not with anyone's personal philosophy. Besides, an atheist might profess to believe in an imaginary god to land a job or get elected to office, but a real Christian would choose martyrdom over denying his God. 

• Like 1

Conversion by the sword, no matter who does it, is unacceptable.

mwc

• Like 2

From the article..

"whereby those seeking social success generally had to profess atheism and to stay away from houses of worship; this trend became especially militant during the middle of the Stalinist era which lasted from 1929 to 1939."

So currently the opposite is true of US politics: It's very hard, if not near impossible to get elected to public office if you don't profess some religious belief in the US.

4 hours ago, MOHO said:

So, anti-religious states can be just as over-bearing as religious states. Something to keep in mind when publicly promoting one's philosophy. 

Yes. I would hold that states should neither be anti religious or religious. This is what I refer to as a secular state - it keeps religion out of state business, but doesn't 'promote' atheism either because that intrudes into the keeping of religions out of state business, because, like  it or not, atheism while not a religion, is nevertheless tied to religion.

• Like 1