Goodbye Jesus

Cognitive Dissonance

FalseProphet666

Frank Lloyd Wright said, "Form follows function." A person's beliefs are similar to the frame of a building, The frame of a building follows it purpose. It's purpose is determined by the creator. The beliefs of a person are therefore determined by the creator. So if you provide info which contradicts a belief which the creator deems to be crucial to the purpose of that person, then you can talk till the cows come home. but the person will reject the info that you provided.

Is schizophrenia a creator?

15 hours ago, FalseProphet666 said:

Frank Lloyd Wright said, "Form follows function." A person's beliefs are similar to the frame of a building, The frame of a building follows it purpose. It's purpose is determined by the creator. The beliefs of a person are therefore determined by the creator. So if you provide info which contradicts a belief which the creator deems to be crucial to the purpose of that person, then you can talk till the cows come home. but the person will reject the info that you provided.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Paley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleological_argument

I see cognitive dissonance ("CD") as a healthy tool to consciously weigh conflicting data/information.

Ignoring CD, or the inability to use it, indicates a mental health deficiency.

• Super Moderator

cognitive_dissonance.jpg

• Like 3

Imposed belief sets are so overrated. 

I have had near zero cognitive dissonance, and even less anxiety since trashing the belief set indoctrinated into me in favor of a simple self determined mental bios based on kindness, empathy, facts, and rationality.  

The only dissonance I deal with is from the vast majority around me pushing their programmed belief on to me, or passively/actively against me.   This does suck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ConsiderTheSource said:

The only dissonance I deal with is from the vast majority around me pushing their programmed belief on to me, or passively/actively against me.   This does suck.

I feel your pain, Sir!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 7:13 PM, FalseProphet666 said:

I like the smell of cognitive dissonance in the morning...smells like...Victory.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 12:21 PM, sdelsolray said:

I see cognitive dissonance ("CD") as a healthy tool to consciously weigh conflicting data/information.

Ignoring CD, or the inability to use it, indicates a mental health deficiency.

Both points are correct. IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

"form follows function" -- I think Christianity as a religion is best understood not by its pseudo-theological arguments but rather the function that the believers operate under as a result of believing in it. The function of institutionalized Christian religion is to degrade the lay person's sense of self worth and sense of healthy boundary, to break them and make them ready for submission to absolute authority. The function of religion is domination, control, and justification of the crimes against humanity conducted by the prescribed authority (be it religious, institutional, or political). People and societies will engage in all manner of cognitive dissonance because they can't cope with the possibility that the authority is wrong. From a believer's standpoint the sense of personal responsibility that comes with making individual, moral decisions outside of blind subservience is in itself overwhelming, and also leads to denial.  

• Like 1