Why do you think so many Christians identify more with Conservatism than Liberalism?  I used to attend the Catholic Church, and the number of pro-Trump comments on some Catholic forums is shocking.  I thought it would be 50-50, but it's not even close.  Is there something about Christianity that makes people more conservative?  Is it just a Catholic thing?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone living under a the longest-reigning monarch in English history I feel the need to point out something else.   The oddity Florduh has highlighted is thrown into even sharper relief

Ya know how everyone, everyone believes and accepts as a constant truth that "politicians always lie" ?  Or, the tired old joke "how can you tell if a politician is lying?  Answer: his lips are moving

They don't need to make sense. If they did, christians wouldn't believe what they believe.

Posted Images

• Super Moderator

Religious fanatics are single issue voters. Trump (and his enablers) have convinced them that Democrats intend to wantonly kill babies. They claim to be anti abortion themselves, though several Republican lawmakers have been found paying for the abortions of their mistresses. The funny thing is that they also are all gung ho for supporting Israel (to the tune of about $19 million a day) but Israel has one of the most liberal abortion policies in the world! Then there's that homosexual thing.....

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, florduh said:

Religious fanatics are single issue voters. Trump (and his enablers) have convinced them that Democrats intend to wantonly kill babies. They claim to be anti abortion themselves, though several Republican lawmakers have been found paying for the abortions of their mistresses. The funny thing is that they also are all gung ho for supporting Israel (to the tune of about $19 million a day) but Israel has one of the most liberal abortion policies in the world! Then there's that homosexual thing.....

I've seen that on the Catholic forum a lot!  Abortion and anything gay is an overriding issue for so many.

• Sad 1
  • Super Moderator
16 minutes ago, Canada27 said:

I've seen that on the Catholic forum a lot!  Abortion and anything gay is an overriding issue for so many.

And where trannies go pee pee.

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

And where trannies go pee pee.

Exactly lol

Christianity is also a tradition with a very long history, and some of its moral teachings, for instance on sexuality, are quite restrictive, which might suit a conservative mindset.

When it comes to Christianity's stance on the accumulation of personal wealth, some conservatives seem to have a very different understanding from the one one would get from reading the bible, but perhaps Christianity as a whole still has enough of an appeal that they can overlook it.

Although anecdotal, my observation is that a large number of Christians, moreso in some sects than other sects, and deeply indoctrinated on what to believe, what to think and what to say.

For these folks, it's may be proper to muse, "Please forgive them, because they truly know not what they believe, think or say."

Many "Christians" have thrown the sermon on the mount, and "love neighbor as self" under the bus.

Many Christians are binary thinkers. Thus many of their issues are single issue as pointed out.

God made man and woman, god gives life, only god can take life etc

The fact that reality disagrees with this binary thinking doesn't hinder them.

I think that it's hard to be a progressive when your entire worldview is based on the absolute authority of ancient writings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Moderator

It is odd that Americans chose a representative democratic republic as their form of government (ostensibly) yet believe the universe is run by a monarch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, florduh said:

It is odd that Americans chose a representative democratic republic as their form of government (ostensibly) yet believe the universe is run by a monarch.

As someone living under a the longest-reigning monarch in English history I feel the need to point out something else.

The oddity Florduh has highlighted is thrown into even sharper relief when you consider that we are not talking about a monarch who can change or be changed in any way.

Even the worst human monarch is destined to die and be replaced by an heir.  This allows for the possibility that the new ruler may be better than their predecessor.  There is no such possibility with God.

Human kings and queens who become tyrannical can be opposed and/or overthrown if a powerful enough group of nobles and/or commoners unite to do so.  There is no such possibility with God.

Human kings and queens who become tyrannical can be forced to cede power to an elected government.  There is no such possibility with God.

How strange that people who place such importance in their rights and the constitution should be willing and eager to give these things up in favour of the ultimate tyrant.

Walter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's definitely not just Catholic, in fact, Catholics are generally perceived in my area as being more liberal than true: conservative evangelic christians.  From my limited understanding it all stems from the Moral Majority stuff decades ago where the conservative evangelicals made common league with the already conservative catholics.

Speaking of Christianity and Politics. Anyone surprised by the Falwell affair scandal?

• Haha 2
On 8/22/2020 at 1:23 PM, Canada27 said:

Why do you think so many Christians identify more with Conservatism than Liberalism?  I used to attend the Catholic Church, and the number of pro-Trump comments on some Catholic forums is shocking.  I thought it would be 50-50, but it's not even close.  Is there something about Christianity that makes people more conservative?  Is it just a Catholic thing?

My take on it is that for Catholics, right-wing politics is more religious in its assertions. It is anti-abortion for one, which is a big thing for Catholics. God's so-called wishes are often the focus of their speeches. Family values and child discipline is another. All are major themes of the bible. Praying in public is another. Christian religions in general promote many charity endeavors according to the morals professed in the new testament.  Christianity professes to always be hard working and accept charity only when you have to. Let others in need get help first since without the never-give-up attitude professed in the Bible, others will fall into despair.

Not sure why, but most Christians are also more fiscally conservative such as in the Southern U.S.

I'm a pure atheist, but not an anti-theist, and believe the Conservative path in many ways is the better path for most countries for fiscal reasons. But I have very little in common with most Trump conservatives. However both Trump and Biden have a "nice" history of being womanizers that I can identify with :)

46 minutes ago, Krowb said:

Speaking of Christianity and Politics. Anyone surprised by the Falwell affair scandal?

Oh my GOD!

A hypocritical Christian? Say it ain't so!

Well...that age old saying "Christian's are not perfect - just forgiven." comes in quite handy for these types and their followers.

I have observed in my family that there is a very strong underlying belief that Satan is walking and working here on earth. His goal is to see us all in Hell and the path is to coax Christians away from faith by tempting them. Most liberal policies are evil and most conservative policies are righteous. Government is of man and so evil. Historically, the GOP has been anti-government growth.

Incidentally an Oregon rep for my district has decided he is more Libertarian (more power to him!) then Republican. This will alienate the Moral Majority. Let's see how this trend plays out.

5 hours ago, WalterP said:

The oddity Florduh has highlighted is thrown into even sharper relief when you consider that we are not talking about a monarch who can change or be changed in any way.

I think you nailed it right there. I've applied the 'rigid thinking' concept as an appraisal of my religious conservative friends but couldnt really figure out why they dont like change.... well duhh....of course....it's because God (supposedly) never changes so change is associated with evil or satan. My Catholic (and evangelical) workmates were up in arms over Obama and his 'change' rhetoric back in the day.

• Super Moderator

I never understood why christians are against abortion.  Abortion prevents people from being "born into sin," so they can just go straight into the sweet loving arms of the baby jesus.  It's the ultimate Get Out of Hell Free card; but christians don't want to use it.  Why?

• Like 2

They don't need to make sense. If they did, christians wouldn't believe what they believe.

• Thanks 3
7 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I never understood why christians are against abortion.  Abortion prevents people from being "born into sin," so they can just go straight into the sweet loving arms of the baby jesus.  It's the ultimate Get Out of Hell Free card; but christians don't want to use it.  Why?

The explanation is usually smth like only God should decide when someone is born/dies. One of the reasons for being anti contraceptives. You are "stealing" HIS authority. 

• Super Moderator
5 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

The explanation is usually smth like only God should decide when someone is born/dies. One of the reasons for being anti contraceptives. You are "stealing" HIS authority. 

And the children dying in cages along the U.S. Southern border, they're dying according to god's divine will?

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

And the children dying in cages along the U.S. Southern border, they're dying according to god's divine will?

Of course.

4 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Not just his divine will, but it is good they died. His purpose was for them to die in cages.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:23 PM, Canada27 said:

Why do you think so many Christians identify more with Conservatism than Liberalism?  

It is not just a Catholic thing.  Conserving means, to keep things the same.  Being liberal means you are open to new ideas.  In almost all systems the ones in power like to conserve what they already have.  People with different ideas are branded as dangerous liberals.  LOL, we who question "Christianity" are VERY DANGEROUS LIBERALS! 

• Thanks 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.