26 minutes ago, MOHO said:

I am seeing too much emphasis on individuals and not on policy.

The office of president does not lawfully have a fraction of the power now vested in the Oval Office. The lawful appointed powers of the Executive Branch are carefully spelled-out in the Constitution. The president has no power other than that, under the law.

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone living under a the longest-reigning monarch in English history I feel the need to point out something else.   The oddity Florduh has highlighted is thrown into even sharper relief

Ya know how everyone, everyone believes and accepts as a constant truth that "politicians always lie" ?  Or, the tired old joke "how can you tell if a politician is lying?  Answer: his lips are moving

They don't need to make sense. If they did, christians wouldn't believe what they believe.

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, alreadyGone said:

The office of president does not lawfully have a fraction of the power now vested in the Oval Office. The lawful appointed powers of the Executive Branch are carefully spelled-out in the Constitution. The president has no power other than that, under the law.

Yes indeed!

Both of the last two presidents unlawfully expanded their powers.

The problem with the rules specified in the constitution is there are no consequences specified. Without a consequence there effectively is no law.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, alreadyGone said:

That isn’t literally true. The President has virtually unlimited power in times of a National emergency. I think it was Sixty Minutes that did a segment about this. There apparently actually is a law, that is considered top secret need to know only, that does exist. 

There is also the insurrection act that grants the President a broad range of power too. 

The need for these additional powers, during a national emergency, is obvious and necessary.

Picking at nits a little though, yeah?

"Times of emergency" is...  an exception to everything else.

AMENDMENT 9

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

AMENDMENT 10

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Geezer said:

The need for these additional powers, during a national emergency, is obvious and necessary.

Yes!  If you have a president who thinks with a rational mind.   But, the one in office scares me, and I have some concerns about Biden.  Kinda catch 22.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Yes!  If you have a president who thinks with a rational mind.   But, the one in office scares me, and I have some concerns about Biden.  Kinda catch 22.  Other checks and balances are needed.

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

I think this power exists for extreme situations, like inbound nuclear warhead ICBM’s  from China or N Korea.

These powers exists in anticipation that the threat is so dire and immediate  politics has to be removed from the process. Granting such power assumes the American people will elect a President and Commander In Chief with a sound mind and the will to protect the American people at all cost.

I want to believe, if such an event were to occur, that both Biden and Trump would put the survival of the country above their personal political agenda’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Geezer said:

I want to believe, if such an event were to occur, that both Biden and Trump would put the survival of the country above their personal political agenda’s. 

Good one! 🤣

Of course we just saw that Trump knowingly lied about the virus from the start and put us all at greater risk for his own political gain. Hell, between the virus and climate change we're all gonna die from Democratic hoaxes!

Stable Genius

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.