Goodbye Jesus

Christianity or any religion - the opium

Josh19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_of_the_people 

"Religion is the opium of the people" a statement by Karl Max  These couple days, I have been thinking how true this statement is to describe my experience with Christianity. Decades ago, while I minded my own business in the campus lounge before class, a student (the opium peddler) approached me and shared a gospel sketch ( first exposure to what opium is).  I refused to convert, the peddler was extremely persistent and asked me to meet and invite me to Friday rallies to sing songs, listen to testimonies.  I continued to resist until I was curious, being lonely and gullible, looking for friendship, to attend and later said the sinner prayer (tasted the opium).  I was hooked by the fun and companionship, the worship songs, the quiet moment of group prayer that was very intoxicating. Oh those hymns and Christian songs always bring me to tears of joy....I felt the presence of God (opium was having its effect on my mind). Gradually it took over my whole life...my finance (yes, donation to church, missionary), my time (family time is not important, I need to be devoted to evangelism - i.e I became another opium peddler to recruit and sell the drug to other innocent, lonely and gullible souls.

Even I quitted this opium 8 years ago this year, I still have the flash back of the great feeling of the drug.  In quiet moment I still seek out the YouTube hymns and praise songs to feel high.  Still thinking of  reconnecting to druggies and try another shot of this powerful drug.  

Anyhow.... just a though of the day on this very truth statement.  It is the most potent addiction to many many people. 

@Josh19,

You stated in your post that you gave up the drug 8 years ago but your profile indicates you still believe in the Bible god and Jesus. Please clarify...

- MOHO

Incidentally when I quoted Mr. Marx's quote to Mrs. MOHO (scream'n fundamentalist) she quipped "See how horrible Communists are!?"

"No, Dear. He meant leaders can use religion to quell and control people. Kinda like the Gran Old...er...never mind..."

Then again that other party is using BLM kinda like a religion too, eh? And I don't mean the Borough of Land Management.

@MOHO

Hi, I am still trying to understand my state of mind. Unlike most ex-C who seems so successfully become atheists, I seems to be a category of its own.  The main hold back is my continual acceptance of the existence of the Biblical God and the authenticity of the Bible. But I can truly same I am no longer a Christian because my rejection of God, not because it does not exist but because of the true character of who he is (extreme obsession in glory and worship, sadistic, narcissistic, egotistic, unjust, petty, vengeful, blood thirsty....on and on).  It is my goal in joining this forum to better share and learn about myself. May be one day I will truly be free.  I need to say that I am so much more happier, care free and live a much better life than the Christian years.  Before I have this big yoke and guilt of carry this burden of "evangelism, purity ...the Christian things " on my back, now these are gone.  Nowadays, I try hard to keep God away from my mind.  If I dwell on it, I start to feel I am the rebellious son who run away from a father who practice tough love.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Josh19 said:

It is my goal in joining this forum to better share and learn about myself. May be one day I will truly be free. 

Josh,

The place can be invaluable assisting you with learning about yourself. There are some really smart folks here, I am NOT one of them, and they are willing to take on your doubts and provide information.

All I can provide, beyond my own experiences, are references to books that have helped clarify and/or solidify what I already felt. Bart Ehrman is useful for studying the origins of the books in the Bible. He actually taught himself to read Greek so he could read the Black Sea Scrolls and determine that the Bible, as we know it today, was changed, altered, redacted, lied about etc. numerous times over the centuries.

Richard Dawkins is helpful to sort out all of the conflicting crap that you hear from apologists and pastor's ass-hat et al.

Richard Carrier is also helpful is this arena but users more recent facts and real life scenarios.

When you are past the point of no return you simply MUST read Marlene Winell's Leaving the Fold. This will help you get past the sorrow of losing your sky daddy and help you to reclaim your life from the harmful effects of the cult.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Josh19 said:

@MOHO

The main hold back is my continual acceptance of the existence of the Biblical God and the authenticity of the Bible.

Josh19,

What are the reasons and basis for your "continual acceptance"?

10 hours ago, Josh19 said:

Unlike most ex-C who seems so successfully become atheists, I seems to be a category of its own.  The main hold back is my continual acceptance of the existence of the Biblical God and the authenticity of the Bible. 

These forums -as well as the Recommended Books page - contain a wealth of arguments and evidence pointing to the likelihood that the god of the Bible -as well as Satan, Heaven and Hell - were inventions of the human imagination, driven by the need in an earlier era to explain how the world works.  But each of us has to evaluate and come to our own conclusion, to know why we believe or don’t believe.  

Thank you everyone,  I appreciate very much for the sharing and wealth of fruits for thought.

Indeed, Life is a journey, and we fine tune our GPS as we evolve.  I must say I am so much happier than the first couple years after I left my faith.  Now I compartmentize that lingering feeling of "God still has a plan for me" so I can live a normal God-free life.  As I shared previously, I threw away all my Christian books but saved my old well worn out Bibles and couple relics of the past. So many times, I was so angry of the way my spiritual friends forcefully imposed their "born to reproduce, pass it on, where is your timothy ?*....)  on me, I fantasize taking this one Bible I used for decades to the backyard and  hacked it into pieces.

I know the date I actually throw out the remaining Bibles and relics is the day I am truly free.

* This is the campus ministry group whose members, in the 1970s, claim to be "never dater" (rhythmed with the name of this organization) so they can be more devoted to being a disciple makers.  

8 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

Josh19,

What are the reasons and basis for your "continual acceptance"?

The nature, our body, the seasonal change, the orderly way how things are with its complexity and beauty convince me that we are created by some form of entity.   I accepted Christ in 1975. Walked away in 2012.  a span of 37 years relationship with an entity I call God.  The relationship was so ingrained into my life, I suppose it takes time to reject his hold on me.  I believe I am making progress.

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, Josh19 said:

claim to be "never dater" (rhythmed with the name of this organization)

Was it called "Never Dater, Masterbater"?

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator

@Josh19, to be fair, many of us are not atheists.  Many of us are open to the idea that some other god(s) or entity might exist.  Many of us have gone on to embrace some other form of spirituality after the deconversion process.  You are really not so different from us. 

We can show you, using logic, reason, and science, why the god of the bible can not possibly exist within the physical universe he supposedly created; because the very parameters, laws, and physics of said universe preclude such an entity.  However, should you still choose to believe in some kind of something or other, few of us would attempt to dissuade you.  Personally, I went from pentecostal to deist to pantheist to atheist to agnostic.  There's no specific path, or set course, that everyone has to follow.  

You are confused; but you acknowledge it, and seem to be embracing it.  If that is what is currently working for you, then run with it.  If that stops working for you later on, or if you find something else that works better, it's perfectly okay to change and take a different direction.  This is, after all, your life.  Plot the course as you see fit. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

@Josh19, to be fair, many of us are not atheists.  Many of us are open to the idea that some other god(s) or entity might exist

It’s kind of taken for granted around here, but most of us who do call ourselves atheists are technically agnostic atheists, who do not believe in any gods but also do not rule out the possibility of some kind of deity existing.  At the end of the day, these are just labels: there’s no one “right” way to be an Ex-Christian.  Except not being a Christian.  

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Josh19 said:

* This is the campus ministry group whose members, in the 1970s, claim to be "never dater" (rhythmed with the name of this organization) so they can be more devoted to being a disciple makers.  

You mean the Navigators? Heh heh. I and my friends were in IVCF. Our campus also had Campus Crusade - I can't get my head around calling it Cru.

12 hours ago, ficino said:

You mean the Navigators? Heh heh. I and my friends were in IVCF. Our campus also had Campus Crusade - I can't get my head around calling it Cru.

I heard the "never dater" leadership have  realized their mistake in their early years of 1970s (lots of dropped out team leaders). They are now a lot more sensitive to the emotional and human needs of young believers.  I also have to assume the young believer experience depended on the individual campus team leader.  I was most unfortunate to fall prey to a "never dater" staff member who once consider General Patton as a role model for his disciples to keep marching on.  "body count" or " close the sales" were some slogans for my former zealous fisher of men.   The endearing memory of this late leader was that "if any creature stands on 2 legs, he will likely witness to. I still remember the days when, as a freshman student overwhelmed with his load of school work, had to pretend to be so pumped up with its daily duty of witnessing, discipleship classes, memorizing scriptures.  During the training apartment's daily dinner time, we share our days like how many people we witness to.  Under the main ministry leader there will be team leaders (meaning the one most spiritual, sharp looking and charismatic) who different teams of students. The pressure to be spiritual and psych up as fearless practicing Christian was unrelenting. I learn later on the never dater started in the military discipleship. That may explain their militant, insensitive approach to young believers.  Their claim to frame were the different illustrations (Wheel, bridge, hand...etc).  Memorizing scripture and quiet time were 2 of the most encouraged habit.  In my hey day as one of them, I used to write my favorite scriptures on a small stack of cards and carry that wherever I go to meditate on it.  One of the activities I hate most was the Friday cold turkey witnessing. Several car load of us will drive to a popular water hole spots and talk to strangers and share our testimonies.  Made me extremely uncomfortable and nervous.  But to prove that I am one of them, I have to tough it out. Abstinence from any kind of intimate relationship, a thing that some embraced to show how spiritual they are, really enrage me as I look back.  There are other groups like IVCF, campus crusades that I heard were a lot more gentle and kind to young believers.  The so call "divine appointments" 45 years ago with the "never dater" turned out to be the most tragic and fatal encounter of my life. So many times, I wonder if I have not sat on that particular location in campus and had not met this crazy never dater student evangelist, or have resisted their attempt to save me, what would my life have been.  

13 hours ago, ficino said:

I heard the reason why CC change its name was because the bad association of its ministry with the historical crusades when the western invaders slaughtered the innocents in its middle east conquests centuries ago.....and other atrocities the crusaders committed. With the campus became more diverse with all cultures, I guess this was wise.