The Question No One Seems To Be Asking.

One of the issues that’s driving the current political unrest Is focused on the issue of police brutality. The common charge is that police officers treat black and other ethnic groups differently than Caucasian’s. 

Let’s assume, just for argument sake, that is true. The obvious question, that I haven’t heard, is WHY? I assume the most common answer would be racism. They are simply racists cops. That’s possible but it’s also possible there are other reasons. 

There is an old saying, “Don’t judge another person until you’ve walked in their shoes.” So, how about doing that. How about looking at this issue from the officers perspective. I assume we all realize police work is dangerous. Officers lives are literally on the line every time they go on duty. Hundreds of officers die in the line of duty every year.  

Two blocks from my office a police officer noticed a car parked in a vacant lot at 2 AM. He could tell the car was occupied. Probably a couple of teenagers making out, but it was his job to check it out. He put his blue lights on and walked up to the car and tapped on the window. He was shot twice and died on the way to the hospital. He never drew his gun. He had stumbled on a drug deal. He had a wife and 2 children 

Being a police officer is very much like being a combat infantryman during war. Every day may be the last day of your life and officers, especially veterans, are very aware of that. Be careful and alert or get killed. Everyone that comes into contact with an officer is not cooperative much less polite. Some “Suspects or persons of interest” openly defy every command an officer gives them and therefore present themselves as a potential threat to the officers life. 

How would you respond in such a situation knowing if you make the wrong decision you could lose your life or be prosecuted and end up in prison. Officers often have to make a life altering decision in less than a second. 

An officer‘s actions that displays too much empathy, or is too nice, might be interpreted as being afraid or as being a coward. That might encourage a thug to attack the officer because he has no fear or respect for the officer.

Statistically, Young black males are the most violent group in America. The statistical evidence confirms far more blacks are killed by other blacks than by law enforcement, or any other group. Chicago is proof of that. 

Police Officers are very much aware of this, especially in cities with large or majority black populations. Wouldn’t common sense, if nothing else, encourage police officers to be cautious and apprehensive when dealing with someone that statistically says they are one of the most dangerous groups in the country, and therefore represent a statistical identifiable threat to the officer?

So, are cops really racists or simply using common sense when facing a known threat? That, of course, doesn’t mean some cops aren’t racists, or that they don’t bully people unnecessarily. That’s why police forces have internal affairs departments to police the police. 

Police work is difficult and dangerous, I personally think cops deserve the benefit of the doubt until verifiable evidence proves otherwise. Just my opinion.

• Thanks 2

• Admin

Couldn't agree with you more, @Geezer. However, your logic does not fit in with the current media-driven narrative. Hopefully the supposedly well-meaning foolishness will eventually fade. 

Guest glebealyth

Thanks, Dave, for writing this. You raise important points which are usually overlooked.

One hears the cry that it is only a "minority" within the black and other communities that creates trouble, causing the reputation which leads to the whole community being victimized by Police. However, the overall response by these communities is considered to be justified when unrest happens. I suspect that the incidents are probably a detonator being used to ignite an underlying, communal animosity towards police.

It is clearly a minority of police officers who beat up African Americans. However, that circumstance is simply ignored and sneered at by commentators and media alike, creating an unlevel playing field wherein opinions is necessarily slanted against the police.

I hate double standards, whoever is using them.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:58 AM, Geezer said:

That’s why police forces have internal affairs departments to police the police. 

An interesting finding in a Pew Research center study in 2017 called "Behind the Badge."  72% of police officers say poorly performing officers are not held accountable.  I have always questioned these internal investigations, no matter what kind of organization it is.

Another interesting survey was done in 1972 by Robert Balch called, "The Police Personality:Fact or Fiction".  It says police tend to be authoritarian minded.  I can see that approach "rubbing some people the wrong way" in a democratic society who insist on their rights.  HA! It got me arrested when 19 years of age.  

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

An interesting finding in a Pew Research center study in 2017 called "Behind the Badge."  72% of police officers say poorly performing officers are not held accountable.  I have always questioned these internal investigations, no matter what kind of organization it is.

Another interesting survey was done in 1972 by Robert Balch called, "The Police Personality:Fact or Fiction".  It says police tend to be authoritarian minded.  I can see that approach "rubbing some people the wrong way" in a democratic society who insist on their rights.  HA! It got me arrested when 19 years of age.  

An authoritarian attitude, IMO, is necessary due to the nature of the job and the type of people the police often have to deal with. I will agree, however, police unions, like all unions, consider protecting their members their number #1 priority. That can result in poorly performing officers retaining their jobs when they shouldn’t. 

I see where 2 California Sheriffs Deputies were ambushed in their patrol car and shot. They may not survive. A crowd gathered outside the emergency room chanting, “Die cops Die”.  If you were a police officer, how would you feel about that? Do you think it would affect the way you do your job? Do you think that might give you a “we vs them” attitude? 

I tend to think veteran cops develop a “we vs then” attitude. How could they not?  They put their lives on the line every time they put their uniform on, and now these radical anarchistic have given the police even more reason to fear the public and to go into survival mode. 

I find myself wondering why these cop haters call 911 when they find themselves in danger or have been assaulted? 

On 9/13/2020 at 7:30 AM, Geezer said:

An authoritarian attitude, IMO, is necessary due to the nature of the job and the type of people the police often have to deal with. 

I don't see that it is necessary for the job, but the job attracts the attitude.  Authority correlates with control, and controlling attitudes are not always the best approach to situations.

4 hours ago, Weezer said:

I don't see that it is necessary for the job, but the job attracts the attitude.  Authority correlates with control, and controlling attitudes are not always the best approach to situations.

Honest dialog can reach the point where the only option is to agree to disagree. This thread has clearly reached that point for me. I’m bowing out of this discussion. 

• Like 1
On 9/13/2020 at 8:30 AM, Geezer said:

An authoritarian attitude, IMO, is necessary due to the nature of the job and the type of people the police often have to deal with. I will agree, however, police unions, like all unions, consider protecting their members their number #1 priority. That can result in poorly performing officers retaining their jobs when they shouldn’t. 

I see where 2 California Sheriffs Deputies were ambushed in their patrol car and shot. They may not survive. A crowd gathered outside the emergency room chanting, “Die cops Die”.  If you were a police officer, how would you feel about that? Do you think it would affect the way you do your job? Do you think that might give you a “we vs them” attitude? 

I tend to think veteran cops develop a “we vs then” attitude. How could they not?  They put their lives on the line every time they put their uniform on, and now these radical anarchistic have given the police even more reason to fear the public and to go into survival mode. 

I find myself wondering why these cop haters call 911 when they find themselves in danger or have been assaulted? 

This is the final result of what essentially started up in the 80's with NWA and the, "fuck the police," sentiment. And the carried on into the 90's with Ice-T's, "Cop Killer." Have a listen to, "The Other White Meat." 

*Explicit Lyrics*

There has been an unmistakable trend that started in the 80's with gansta rap, where criminal gang banger's who saw cops as an obstacle to their unobstructed crime sprees, wanted to shoot cops down. These cops are getting in the way of their crime. So they have to go. It has gained momentum through several generations now, and turned into what we're seeing. The raps tell the stories of a modern day urban mythology. Where the criminals know they're criminals, but think they should be dominant over the police. Well, it's all there. For anyone who runs through a history of the music between NWA and now......

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.