Goodbye Jesus

When Christians Can't Give You Answers

Freed

https://biblehub.com/1_peter/3-15.htm

How often does that happen to you when you ask difficult questions about the Bible and Christianity? How do they respond?  What are your thoughts and feelings when you stump them?

It happens to me a lot when I question the Heaven out of them. They usually accuse me of being deceived by Satan. Being rebellious to their God. Or trolling basically. But I love it when they can't answer me. So much for Peters Biblical advice. 😇💗

Most provide predictable responses, i.e., statements sourced from their specific religious sect's tradition, which often contain (or are composed of) informal logical fallacies, lack of relevance, infantile rhetoric and general nonsense.  Occasionally, a theist's response contains none of these flaws and is a decent attempt to communicate.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), these usually end up in the theological/metaphysical/philosophical realm, and more often than not turn into simple woo woo.

When I was a believer, I had a roommate talking to a non-believer couple about premarital sex. He had hit a spot where he couldn't say exactly why it was "wrong". He asked me and I told him that it was because God said so, not because of any reasons, and that it really applied to believers since non-believers... don't believe. He was aghast. But the bible really doesn't give any reasons why it is called immoral other than that. The couple grinned. 

• Like 2

They definitely could not answer this one...

Could Jesus Christ submit Himself to eternal suffering if it would save every human soul?  Not just for some like He did on the cross?

Matthew 7:13, 14

Matthew 7:21-23.

Could Jesus Christ burn in His own Hell with no chance or even the slightest hope of getting out for mankind's sake? For every human soul to ever have existed, exists, and will exist??? 

Jesus Christ says there is no greater love than to give up a person's life for their friends.

He never says to go through eternal suffering for one's friends.

However, even though it's for his own people Paul claims something even more sacrificially.

Getting back to Jesus Christ. Could He sacrifice and condemn His own soul eternally if that would save every single human soul from Hell's eternal condemnation???

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 4:44 PM, Fuego said:

When I was a believer, I had a roommate talking to a non-believer couple about premarital sex. He had hit a spot where he couldn't say exactly why it was "wrong". He asked me and I told him that it was because God said so, not because of any reasons, and that it really applied to believers since non-believers... don't believe. He was aghast. But the bible really doesn't give any reasons why it is called immoral other than that. The couple grinned. 

Yep. 

"Because god said so"  Is the base definition of religious bigotry 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2020 at 6:07 AM, Freed said:

Getting back to Jesus Christ. Could He sacrifice and condemn His own soul eternally if that would save every single human soul from Hell's eternal condemnation???

Its the old classic, God sacrifices Himself to HImself in order to forgive a law that He set and that He judges us for.  There is no need for any blood sacrifice or magic rituals to cleanse anything.  If God is all-powerful then He could make a solution without all the hoops to jump through.

"The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son” (Ezek 18:20), and yet we are all apparently punished for Adam and Eve's original sin, a crime that we didn't commit

11 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

Its the old classic, God sacrifices Himself to HImself in order to forgive a law that He set and that He judges us for.  There is no need for any blood sacrifice or magic rituals to cleanse anything.  If God is all-powerful then He could make a solution without all the hoops to jump through.

"The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son” (Ezek 18:20), and yet we are all apparently punished for Adam and Eve's original sin, a crime that we didn't commit

Why no answer Christians???

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2020 at 1:43 PM, Freed said:

https://biblehub.com/1_peter/3-15.htm

How often does that happen to you when you ask difficult questions about the Bible and Christianity? How do they respond?  What are your thoughts and feelings when you stump them?

It happens to me a lot when I question the Heaven out of them. They usually accuse me of being deceived by Satan. Being rebellious to their God. Or trolling basically. But I love it when they can't answer me. So much for Peters Biblical advice. 😇💗

Among the "apologist" camp, there's a tendency to grasp at straws. After I pointed out that Luke's nativity narrative leaves no room for Matthew's account of a flight into Egypt, one apologist tried to cram the Egypt episode into the fleeting statement in Luke that Mary and Joseph had "fulfilled all the law of the Lord" and that the trip to Egypt was just part of this.

One apologist writer claims that any *possible* explanation of a Bible inconsistency is sufficient to resolve it. One has to wonder if they apply the same principle to all of the non-Biblical religions they themselves attack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had Psalm 14:1 “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good.” quoted to me a couple of times. It's one of those automatic defence mechanisms that shuts down any discussion. 

• Thanks 1