Goodbye Jesus

Arctic hits second lowest level on record

LogicalFallacy

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02705-7?utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=7eed7a384f-briefing-dy-20200923&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-7eed7a384f-44068473 

As a side note I wonder if there was a corresponding cooler than average summer in the Northern Hemisphere. I seem to recall reading that the greater ice melt can cool the ocean leading to cooler summers in parts of the northern hemisphere. 

On 9/24/2020 at 3:18 AM, LogicalFallacy said:

I wonder if there was a corresponding cooler than average summer in the Northern Hemisphere

Not that I have heard. The temps across the US have been setting record highs this summer. In the desert resort areas, some days were so hot they recommended not going outside at all. Palm Springs hit 123F (50.56C) on July 12th. The Pacific Northwest has mostly been normal with temps, but much dryer than normal. We are currently dealing with wildfires across the region. The two weeks ago we had very dense smoke outside until this last weekend. Recent rains have helped quell that a lot. 

The summer of 2020 was one of the hottest summers in the Northern hemisphere worldwide. Although summer just ended and all the data is not in yet, many believe 2020 will set all time record highs for the northern hemisphere, partly based upon greatly increased arctic temperatures. On the other hand there is a 50-50 chance that the winter of 2020 in the northern hemisphere will be one of the coldest in the last few decades. This is because it may be a la nina (ninya) year whereby pacific ocean temperatures will drop because of changes in the course of ocean and subsequent air currents.

https://www.ski.com/blog/noaa-long-term-winter-forecast-2020-2021-55-chance-of-la-nina/