Goodbye Jesus

Roger Penrose wins Nobel Prize for his work on Black Hole Singularities

WalterP

https://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/nobel-prize-physics-awarded-st-johns-scientist-black-hole-formation-work

On a personal note I'm very pleased to see this, not just because he's a fellow Englishman, but because I've found his work fascinating.

The above prize and the kudos that goes with it has no effect whatsoever on the unfeasible cosmological arguments used by the Christian apologist William Lane Craig.

Penrose is being rewarded for his scientific paper of 1965, that deals ONLY with the collapse of very massive stars into black holes.

Craig relies exclusively upon a time-reversed application of Penrose's theory that was published by both Penrose and Stephen Hawking in 1970.

Even though both theories deal with singularities, the 1970 paper has been refuted by discoveries made in 1998 and cannot be used as Craig misuses it.

If this subject is of interest to you I discuss it in some depth in this thread.

Thank you,

Walter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, WalterP said:

https://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/nobel-prize-physics-awarded-st-johns-scientist-black-hole-formation-work

On a personal note I'm very pleased to see this, not just because he's a fellow Englishman, but because I've found his work fascinating.

The above prize and the kudos that goes with it has no effect whatsoever on the unfeasible cosmological arguments used by the Christian apologist William Lane Craig.

Penrose is being rewarded for his scientific paper of 1965, that deals ONLY with the collapse of very massive stars into black holes.

Craig relies exclusively upon a time-reversed application of Penrose's theory that was published by both Penrose and Stephen Hawking in 1970.

Even though both theories deal with singularities, the 1970 paper has been refuted by discoveries made in 1998 and cannot be used as Craig misuses it.

If this subject is of interest to you I discuss it in some depth in this thread.

Thank you,

Walter.

Although I disagree with many of Mr. Penrose's theories, I have long realized that he is a genius and great theorist. IMO a great theorist must also fall back to common logic to justify his theories. This is often difficult for mathematical theorists like Sir Penrose. I think Roger does this very well so I've always considered his theories. Glad to see he won the Nobel Prize finally at age 89. The prize cannot be given posthumously by its charter so it's about time for him to win it for his great work.