Goodbye Jesus

Black skeptics find meaning in uplifting their community through social justice

webmdave

• Admin

LOS ANGELES (RNS) — Black nonbelievers have for years been working to redefine what it means to be atheist, a word too often linked to white spaces mostly concerned with creationism and the separation of church and state.

The post Black skeptics find meaning in uplifting their community through social justice appeared first on Religion News Service.

View the full article

Interesting to note the percentages of white vs black who identify as atheist. I believe a similar trend is found here in NZ where the native Maori and the Pacific Island peoples are very religious, and also tend to be more conservative than their white religious brethren. 

I'm not sure why this is. Are some cultures just inherently more religious than others?

4 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Interesting to note the percentages of white vs black who identify as atheist. I believe a similar trend is found here in NZ where the native Maori and the Pacific Island peoples are very religious, and also tend to be more conservative than their white religious brethren. 

I'm not sure why this is. Are some cultures just inherently more religious than others?

It's often not that they are more inherently religious, it's that religion has been used to resist oppression historically, and churches are organizations through which that happens, like in the American civil rights movement. That makes it more culturally relevant.

54 minutes ago, Orbit said:

It's often not that they are more inherently religious, it's that religion has been used to resist oppression historically, and churches are organizations through which that happens, like in the American civil rights movement. That makes it more culturally relevant.

The irony is that religion has also been the cause of oppressions in the first place.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

The irony is that religion has also been the cause of oppressions in the first place.

And I remember people justifying slavery because the bible condoned it.

Time and tine again I am amazed at the white-black classification in the US. A very interesting cultural phenomenon. In my country gypsies were also kind of slaves - I say kind of because Idk the whole history but they were bought and sold. Also they have darker skin colour and are renowned for criminal activities and backwardness. So kind of the black ppl from the states. However , romanians being a distinct ethnic group and gypsies also, skin colour was never really important, it is/was just an ethnic marker, like dress or language.

I have never really considered myself "white". However I was raised to be deeple aware of my ethnicity and sub ethnicity.

• Like 1