Goodbye Jesus

Gravity is not a force (in relativity)

Fuego

On 10/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, Fuego said:

I hadn't heard this previously, though the last physics I had was in high-school. It's almost backwards from Newtonian physics, but really just different.

I think he is saying that mass warps space/time and that accounts for why we experience gravity as an apparent force. Still trying to wrap my mind around a new concept and not grasping it well.

Gravity is not a force

'A force is a force, of course of course...' 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Except in this case???

• Haha 2

Wilbur, you don't appreciate the gravity of this situation... 🙂

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2020 at 4:30 PM, Fuego said:

I hadn't heard this previously, though the last physics I had was in high-school. It's almost backwards from Newtonian physics, but really just different.

I think he is saying that mass warps space/time and that accounts for why we experience gravity as an apparent force. Still trying to wrap my mind around a new concept and not grasping it well.

Gravity is not a force

Hi Fuego!  :)

So was my initial post of any help to you?

Walter.

• Like 1

Yes, thank you! I should say it has helped a bit. Coming from a strong Newtonian view of reality, I haven't yet given a lot of thought to this other way of thinking. In the limited physics classes I had, this was never part of the concepts given to us. So it will take some pondering.

Well, if its any consolation Fuego, Newtonian physics is just fine for everyday life, here on Earth and it also works ok for our space probes travelling to other planets.

It's only when you deal with the extremes of physics that Special and General Relativity take over.

Black holes, gravitational waves, cosmology and things that travel at or near the speed of light.

That kind of stuff.

Thank you,

Walter.