Goodbye Jesus

Non Conventional vs. Cultural, Christian Norms

Edgarcito

Bear with me on this one as it is new thought for me.  So let's assume we have a child that doesn't fit the conventional, the cultural norm for whatever varied reason(s).  Said child might lean towards expression that makes them feel better, validated, heard, etc.  Now mix this with local, state, and federal law.  This child's expressions might not be in sync with the laws or views of a particular community or state, but they might find solace in a different community/state that practiced more similar views.  Then let's go even further....say that national law ultimately limits state and cultural variability.......so much so that the individual feels personally violated and loss of freedom because they never were conventional from birth.  The question today folks is, how do we fix this.....or is said child always a "victim" of location, culture, and law......given it's not unheard of that each person is a value to the whole.

Please move this to any forum as needed, but I think it would be easy to assign Christianity as the "conventional/norm", grace warranted all around, and I heard several stories over the years where the "child" turns out to be an ex-Christian bc they can't be themselves.  

Thanks.    

• Super Moderator
53 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

I think it would be easy to assign Christianity as the "conventional/norm"

Currently, in the USA, mainstream Protestant Christianity is certainly the ubiquitous societal influence. In other places other beliefs and traditions set the expectations for "normal." I submit there is no "normal" but rather a set of behaviors that is defined by local popularity. There are always people who don't fit in with a given majority, and how they are treated by society says much about that society. Sometimes the more aware children recognize they are indeed constrained by certain belief systems adhered to by their parents and peers. I think everyone should be free to think whatever they like but if they insist on human sacrifice to please their gods...... there are other places where that might be considered "normal."

• Super Moderator

The only normal people are the ones you haven't met yet.

"Never conventional from birth?"

Surely the only way a child could be born this is way is if a society's conventions can be passed down from parent to child?

Evidence for that?

?

19 minutes ago, WalterP said:

"Never conventional from birth?"

Surely the only way a child could be born this is way is if a society's conventions can be passed down from parent to child?

Evidence for that?

?

Epigenetics?

That's quite a complicated house of cards you're building, Edgarcito.

Bear with me on this one as it is new thought for me.  So let's assume we have a child that doesn't fit the conventional, the cultural norm for whatever varied reason(s).  Said child might lean towards expression that makes them feel better, validated, heard, etc.  Now mix this with local, state, and federal law.  This child's expressions might not be in sync with the laws or views of a particular community or state, but they might find solace in a different community/state that practiced more similar views.  Then let's go even further....say that national law ultimately limits state and cultural variability.......so much so that the individual feels personally violated and loss of freedom because they never were conventional from birth.  The question today folks is, how do we fix this.....or is said child always a "victim" of location, culture, and law......given it's not unheard of that each person is a value to the whole.

You're pondering one assumption, three 'might's' and four variables and now you're adding epigenetics into the mix.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to deal with one thing at a time?

Just trying to be helpful.

Walter.