Goodbye Jesus

"formed in His image". But... I'm only human!

alreadyGone

As I lost belief, a question that popped into my head a number of times in various forms.

If an all-wise sovereign God wanted worship from and "fellowship with" something He deigned to create as He pleased, if the spiritual self is what He values and what He judges of you, then why bother with all this biology?

I mean, why these soft squishy always-vulnerable physical bodies "of clay" (really that?) which are so very difficult to maintain or nurture? Why bowels, for goodness sake???  

• Super Moderator

And testicles on the outside.  Really?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"And testicles on the outside Really?"

At least they're not on our chins!*

*and if that makes no sense you absolutely must watch the Men in Black films.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, alreadyGone said:

As I lost belief, a question that popped into my head a number of times in various forms.

If an all-wise sovereign God wanted worship from and "fellowship with" something He deigned to create as He pleased, if the spiritual self is what He values and what He judges of you, then why bother with all this biology?

I mean, why these soft squishy always-vulnerable physical bodies "of clay" (really that?) which are so very difficult to maintain or nurture? Why bowels, for goodness sake???  

Good questions.  Good luck finding answers.

6 hours ago, Weezer said:

Good questions.  Good luck finding answers.

Somehow I'd hoped for more.

🙂

13 hours ago, alreadyGone said:

You won't like my answer but no one does so... ;)

We are made of clay, in the image of and infused with the spirit of god.  We are idols (or some might say "golems").  The thing is golems aren't considered fully human whereas we are though in are current, "corrupt," state perhaps we're not (fully human that is)?  I can't really say and this is a bit off-topic.

Anyhow, I read the text and I see god making human "idols" in the same way that humans create idols (and other objects for that matter).  The difference is that god can create idols that can come to life, and are fully animated, as opposed to those made by humans which are simply lumps of clay no matter what form we mold them into.  In short, god creates humans that live and humans creates gods that do not.  It is a bit of a juxtaposition.

mwc

• Super Moderator

Creation mythologies are reverse engineering reality. It can never make sense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, alreadyGone said:

Heaven is where God gets to fellowship with selected spiritual selves.  Plenty of souls have been in Heaven for thousands of years and presumably none of them have ever sinned even once since they've been there, even though they all sinned regularly during their Earthly lives.  How is that possible?  Did God take away their Free Will?  That's the big Christian objection to the Problem of Evil.  But if God could create a Heaven where nobody sins, why not skip the Earthly Existence part, the biology, the sin, the suffering?  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TABA said:

... Plenty of souls have been in Heaven for thousands of years and presumably none of them have ever sinned even once since they've been there, even though they all sinned regularly during their Earthly lives.  How is that possible?  Did God take away their Free Will?  That's the big Christian objection to the Problem of Evil.  But if God could create a Heaven where nobody sins, why not skip the Earthly Existence part, the biology, the sin, the suffering?  

Presumably the fact of spiritual acceptance and being admitted to the heavenly realm purifies and transforms them into something better, more holy?

God doesn't want "robots"..  I know this because I've heard it from every spiritually enlightend Christian believer I've known.

But somehow I suppose, being transformed into some heaven-dwelling higher order of being, a no-longer-animal, spiritually-perfected creature purged of all innate human sinful nature is better than a flesh-based robotic sycophant.

Having free will = double-secret probation?

4 hours ago, florduh said:

Creation mythologies are reverse engineering reality. It can never make sense.

Well said.