I hope that isn't too far off-topic, only really to say that groupthink is, in my experience such a part of how humans seem to be wired that of course you can expect to find it as a factor in religious thinking and dogma.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My impression is that "science" is not a set of models, but more a set of procedures that can produce those models, refine them and ultimately refute them. If any present theory, and I mean theory in

That's a good example of groupthink.   When you take good intentions and then try and politicize them, it often turns out nasty. Jordan Peterson pointed out that maternal instinct psychology

The psychology of groupthink is an important topic to explain the irrationality of public debate.  The media and the public generally operate at a tribal level, accepting arguments based on the author

1 hour ago, alreadyGone said:

I hope that isn't too far off-topic, only really to say that groupthink is, in my experience such a part of how humans seem to be wired that of course you can expect to find it as a factor in religious thinking and dogma.

this sub-forum is science vs. religion so you're exactly on topic :)

1 hour ago, alreadyGone said:

Isn't it interesting that Brother Mario came here rambling on and on about groupthink? As a christian? Talk about the kettle calling the pot black. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Isn't it interesting that Brother Mario came here rambling on and on about groupthink? As a christian? Talk about the kettle calling the pot black. 

BrotherMario said he seldom went to Mass. I can believe that :)   He doesn't act like any devout Christian I ever listened to. He acts more like a narcissist, and by his own titling a Braggadocio.  Maybe when he was younger, but presently I don't think Groupthink had much to do with the formation of his personality.

Here on X-Christ I believe I see the influences of Groupthink on occasion (group anti-Christians), especially in the lion's Den and Colosseum. We were the lions and BrotherMario was the Christian. But he deserved a good mauling, dismemberment, and excommunication from our forum -- that Braggadocio. :madhopA:

I think it was Weezer who said that he didn't recall ever seeing any thread totally about a Christian poster himself, that was self initiated like BrotherMario did.

• Haha 1
  • Super Moderator
1 hour ago, pantheory said:

He acts more like a narcissist, and by his own titling a Braggadocio. 

In Brothermario's defense, I'm the one who affixed the Braggadocio moniker to his account.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

In Brothermario's defense, I'm the one who affixed the Braggadocio moniker to his account.

Got it, but it does rightfully explain many of his postings. Because of his audatious personality I expected he was capable of describing himself that way.  

• Super Moderator
46 minutes ago, pantheory said:

Got it, but it does rightfully explain many of his postings. Because of his audatious personality I expected he was capable of describing himself that way.  

No.  It soundly pissed him off to be described in that manner.  I guess the truth hurt him, or at least touched a nerve.

• Like 1