Goodbye Jesus

Mandela Effect

Freed

What do you all think about the Mandela Effect? 

Knowing how factually poor most memories are, putting much value in alleged eyewitness testimony is questionable. I've been certain that a movie dialog went one way, and then heard it again and was flabbergasted that it was different than I'd repeated to myself hundreds of times. Or once I got the size of the telescope mirror at Palomar in meters when it should have been in feet (16ft, really 200 inches). 

There seems to be two levels of Mandela effect proponents.  Most people laugh at it and see it as "Look how silly we are, we got something wrong".  When taken in that way it is just a light hearted bit of fun.  The second level are those who say they couldn't possibly be wrong, therefore the entire universe must be wrong in order for them to not be.  There are some who believe reality has changed or time travel has occurred because it is easier to believe in supernatural events being the cause rather than our memories being poor. 

• Thanks 1

All people sharing the same faulty memories???

5 hours ago, Freed said:

Its not as special as that.  Firstly its not "all" people, for any item discussed there will be many (if not most) who remember the same thing the correct way.  Usually the ones who remember it incorrectly do so because they were influenced.  You have someone ask "Do you remember that time when..." and you remember enough of it for that to sound right, but upon digging deeper it turns out the person told you incorrectly.  That is easily seen with song lyrics, where hearing them sung incorrectly but those lyrics stick in your head and you will sing that same song incorrectly for years to come.

Most of the time you can't even remember where you heard "facts".  For someone who swears they heard Nelson Mandela died in the 80's, when asked where they heard that wouldn't be able to point to a source.  It would be "You know...  around".  This from people who never met the man and probably never even travelled to South Africa, and yet are willing to claim this vague sourceless idea must be supernatural.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 2:19 PM, Freed said:

Do you remember Mandela dying in prison? 

I certainly don't. And I never thought of such a thing until someone came here a few years back asking the same questions about the Mandela Effect. I started watching videos and took in the examples and content. The examples are all cases of people misremembering. Even when James Earl Jones fudged his memory of the big line, "No, I am your Father!" When you look at the context of the line, it doesn't even make sense for him to have said, "Luke, I am your Father!" The context of the situation works better with the line that is in the film. 

I misremember movie quotes all the time. So do other people. I know this because I'll be looking up some old quote and realize that I or someone else have butchered it in the process. 

On 11/26/2020 at 1:50 PM, Wertbag said:

There are some who believe reality has changed or time travel has occurred because it is easier to believe in supernatural events being the cause rather than our memories being poor. 

The above seems like the best summary of the MDE. The entire universe was switched out by an alternate universe, or SOME people butchered and misremembered something. 

Which is the most likely or the simplest explanation???

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Mr. Rogers. "It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood," right? Listen closely this time.