Goodbye Jesus

This is how ex-christians should be.

chrisassaf

Maybe because we don't believe in your God, and so we don't care what he supposedly thinks, or who he tells.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

Maybe because we don't believe in your God, and so we don't care what he supposedly thinks, or who he tells.

But one atheist came up with the idea, and I thought that that person was the perfect atheist, like George Carlin.

• Super Moderator
6 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Often, people who think they know what's good for me actually don't know the first god damn thing about me and really ought to mind their own business. 

Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.” The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.” The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.” The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity, and it’s really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad — because you never know what will be the consequence of the misfortune; or, you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.

— Alan Watts retelling the parable

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chrisassaf said:

What did you think of my dialogue? The soldier and the Mennonite.

Hard core Mennonite thinking.  And I think the best response to your "demands" is no response.  I am not a moderator, but I am out of here.  Hope you had a good day.

14 hours ago, chrisassaf said:

We are all governed by a celestial screenplay that outlines what each person is to say in certain situations.

Then you have absolutely no grounds whatsoever for raising the slightest objection to me saying "Oh, do shove that attitude of yours up the Holy Spook's ass." :lmao:

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, chrisassaf said:

But one atheist came up with the idea, and I thought that that person was the perfect atheist, like George Carlin.

Good for you.

8 hours ago, Astreja said:

Then you have absolutely no grounds whatsoever for raising the slightest objection to me saying "Oh, do shove that attitude of yours up the Holy Spook's ass." :lmao:

Are you sure the devil didn't make you do it? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, florduh said:

Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.” The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.” The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.” The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity, and it’s really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad — because you never know what will be the consequence of the misfortune; or, you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.

— Alan Watts retelling the parable

The Bible kind of illustrates this.  God attempts to lead humanity through the "complexity".....and then ultimately leads them to faith and grace given humanity appears incapable of navigating the complexity.  Thinking the Bible then even addresses either way is acceptable, a life of law, or faith and grace through a gathering and atonement of/for inequity .   Also seems to make sense that we should be repentant of our overstepping the complexity bounds....hurting others.  Which again, leads us to faith, that we are acting in the best manner, and grace and forgiveness for others....along with realizing our own inabilities.  

Sure seems like an apt myth...obviously you heathens have concluded otherwise....which implies you understand the complexity.... 

On 11/27/2020 at 8:58 AM, Edgarcito said:

Sure seems like an apt myth...obviously you heathens have concluded otherwise....which implies you understand the complexity.... 

Depends on which sect of heathenism you are talking about.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, Joshpantera said:

What could be a bigger authoritarian view than a supernatural, infinite and eternal god with absolute say???

People who claim exclusive revelatory knowledge of what such a God wants people to do.

It is possible to imagine that such a personal intentional God exists, but asserting human knowledge of those intentions based on no evidence except fantasy miracles is a purely authoritarian turn. 

Ethical religion needs the humility to accept that people have no idea of what God wants except what can be justified with methods of evidence and logic.

These tools give no basis to assert that a supernatural God even exists except as an imaginary human construction.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 7:33 AM, chrisassaf said:

I am sick of freedom of speech. If I was running this country for a day, I would repress free speech for everybody, atheist and Christian.

Make sure you set up a pre-emptive pardon for yourself. 

• Haha 5

Looks like Chris has taken a few days off.

On 11/27/2020 at 1:33 AM, chrisassaf said:

Ex-christians should have this type of attitude; if your god wants me to give up something or do something, let him tell me, not you.

That is how atheists should be, ex-christian or not. I know of any atheist who shares the same sentiment as me.

I am sick of freedom of speech. If I was running this country for a day, I would repress free speech for everybody, atheist and Christian.

We are all governed by a celestial screenplay that outlines what each person is to say in certain situations. Only a select few can read it and I am one of those. That would be the religion I push onto my government.

Do you mean you're sick of slander and gossip?

On 11/26/2020 at 9:33 AM, chrisassaf said:

Ex-christians should have this type of attitude; if your god wants me to give up something or do something, let him tell me, not you.

Okay, I'll say it.

If your god wants to tell me something, he should be able to do it. Isn't he "all knowing" and "all powerful"? I think you believe that he is.

If he is all knowing, then he knows my cellphone number and he can call at any time. I don't need you to tell me what he thinks. 

I know that you are going to say that it is arrogant of (puny) me to demand that the all powerful creator of the universe to call me, but that isn't the case. I am not making any demands. But talking to someone is a good way to get them to understand what it is that you want. Even for gods. So, if he wants to talk, I am available. If not, I understand how busy he must be. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Timothew said:

I don't need you to tell me what he thinks. 

This is ultimately what it all comes down to:  Despite the alleged power of deities, there's always some pretentious mortal asshole who thinks that we need to hear something from him rather than directly from the god.  

• Like 3

If gods are imaginary, residing only in the brains of believers, then only those believers can do the communicating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2020 at 12:58 AM, Edgarcito said:

The Bible kind of illustrates this.  God attempts to lead humanity through the "complexity".....and then ultimately leads them to faith and grace given humanity appears incapable of navigating the complexity.  Thinking the Bible then even addresses either way is acceptable, a life of law, or faith and grace through a gathering and atonement of/for inequity .   Also seems to make sense that we should be repentant of our overstepping the complexity bounds....hurting others.  Which again, leads us to faith, that we are acting in the best manner, and grace and forgiveness for others....along with realizing our own inabilities.  

Humankind fell into sin and corruption because of Eve taking the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge, then passing that knowledge to Adam. Now I am going to turn this whole mythical story upsidedown so you'll see that the very thing you believe is the very essence of your sin nature.

What was the precursor of the fall before Eve ate the fruit and had her eyes open? Was it her prior knowledge of good and evil that caused her to make that choice? No. Because Eve and Adam did not have that knowledge until after they ate the fruit. Was it the serpent who caused Eve to make that choice? No. Because the serpent didn't make that choice for Eve. Eve made a choice to believe the serpent, then took the fruit and ate it.

After this you have the trickle effect.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:26 AM, chrisassaf said:

We are getting sidetracked here. Just saying that why aren't ex-christians saying things like "if your god does not l8ke the way I live, let him tell me, not you", more often?

On 12/4/2020 at 4:54 AM, Astreja said:

This is ultimately what it all comes down to:  Despite the alleged power of deities, there's always some pretentious mortal asshole who thinks that we need to hear something from him rather than directly from the god.  

How does the Christian God

("Think")

It's all knowing. So what's it got to think about what it already knows.

My own thoughts of a creator have changed drastically since I left the idea of god behind. Now I consider that throughout humankind's evolution from tribalism to our current civilization, our discourse about god has been filtered through a lens of how ancient cultures managed to cope with nature.

Forces of nature could only be seen by ancient people as god interacting with them personally, since the planet to them was the universe itself. Even their spiritual books they wrote thousands of years ago reflect that mentality, and you'll see that when you read their holy books in that light.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 8:32 PM, AntiChrist said:

How does the Christian God

("Think")

I think you misread my post.  It's the believer who thinks that he needs to be spokesman for his god.

• 2 weeks later...

Against free speech? How very xtian of you.