Goodbye Jesus

christians Will Be Even More Obnoxious This Christmas

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

The first Christmas star in 8 centuries will appear this year as Jupiter and Saturn align.  If only there were some scientific explanation that would preclude the miraculous hand of god...

https://crafty.diply.com/149554/jupiter-and-saturn-set-to-align-for-first-christmas-star-in-800-?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=diply&utm_term=tst&utm_content=de005812&fbclid=IwAR1DBI8Hkk6W-_Py0Mv0D_ZDuQBRUefX3YQur4t_TdTYMjT707Q1EWQMlyQ

Jupiter and Saturn are already close enough in the twilight sky that you can see them - Saturn is up and to the left and fainter.

FWIW, the conjunction is closer to Yule than to Christmas, so you could probably slip in a snide comment about Allfather Oðinn opening His eye and muttering "Hvað í fjandanum eruð þið að gera þarna niðri?" :HaHa:

• Like 3

It's been a good year for planetary observations.  Jupiter and Saturn were best seen in late spring to early summer when the Earth was between them and the sun.  Now, both are hundreds of million of mile further away and will be blocked by the sun soon.  Mars was good this summer, as were Uranus (in Aries) and Neptune (in Aquarius).  A couple of decent comets this year too.

If its a clear sunset, I plan on getting the refractor out and go to a local location to see the near conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn in the same field of view.

On 12/4/2020 at 5:34 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The first Christmas star...

Hey Professor,

I don't really feel like celebrating Christmas. I'm in weird territory for me. What do exchristians do on Christmas?

Especially this year, putting a tree in the house and tinsel everywhere seems kind of pointless.

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, Timothew said:

Hey Professor,

I don't really feel like celebrating Christmas. I'm in weird territory for me. What do exchristians do on Christmas?

Especially this year, putting a tree in the house and tinsel everywhere seems kind of pointless.

Christmas was originally a pagan holiday celebrating the Winter Solstice (the "shortest" day of the year); and many of the traditions, including the tree, come from the original pagan rituals.  I generally view Christmas as a time to reflect on peace on earth and goodwill toward humanity; as well as a time to reach out to others and let them know I care about them.  Without the religious trappings, Christmas can be whatever you want it to be.  Just do me a favor and don't spend the entire time moping in your bedroom, okay?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Christmas was originally a pagan holiday celebrating the Winter Solstice (the "shortest" day of the year); and many of the traditions, including the tree, come from the original pagan rituals.  I generally view Christmas as a time to reflect on peace on earth and goodwill toward humanity; as well as a time to reach out to others and let them know I care about them.  Without the religious trappings, Christmas can be whatever you want it to be.  Just do me a favor and don't spend the entire time moping in your bedroom, okay?

Yeah, that's my take on the holiday, as well. Christmas is a big, expansive holiday -- people can make is as religious or as nonreligious as they like!

• Like 1

The smell of evergreens, simmering spices in apple cider or wine, a nice fire, recognizing the cold sleep that nature has each year in hope it will burst forth with flowers in the spring. All things to give hope that somehow we'll make it through this blast of cold and dark, this time of isolation and sickness, of corruption and greed. That we will persist and endure, and make a way to survive and thrive again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Timothew said:

What do exchristians do on Christmas?

Well most people celebrate xmas, even though they know Santa Claus isn't  real. Why not enjoy the season? Doesnt stop me from exchanging presents, enjoying great food and drink, hanging with family and friends. 🙂

• Like 1

Guest KrysLostInSpace

This is why I celebrate Yule rather than Christmas. It actually has a reasonable basis to celebrate after all. Besides pagan shit is cool.  I'm wondering what the pagan name of this celestial event was though...

And be glad the days are getting longer!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 9:34 PM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The first Christmas star in 8 centuries will appear this year as Jupiter and Saturn align.  If only there were some scientific explanation that would preclude the miraculous hand of god...

https://crafty.diply.com/149554/jupiter-and-saturn-set-to-align-for-first-christmas-star-in-800-?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=diply&utm_term=tst&utm_content=de005812&fbclid=IwAR1DBI8Hkk6W-_Py0Mv0D_ZDuQBRUefX3YQur4t_TdTYMjT707Q1EWQMlyQ

Yep; the religious fever is all over the internet. Hey Jesus if you want to prove your awesome Godly power, how about a cure for the Corona Virus. No? I guess we'll have to do it for ourselves, again. But thank you for the cosmic ballet light show. 

Much love, AntiChrist.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Celebrate the short winter days and the seasonal darkness by finding within you the reason for celebration common to all humanity:  life itself.

The daily reality of being alive, of waking to another day among those days which come before your final day of life.

If you can find reason to believe in any life or existence beyond your present temporal existence, then live gladly knowing that this is only the beginning for you.

If you as a non-Christian do not believe in life beyond this one, then celebrate this day of life by being aware and mindful of your unique human life and presence in the world at this place in time. While learning to accept that from the day of your birth, death began stalking you.

Celebrate the reality that so far, as of this day, death has not yet won.

• Like 2