Goodbye Jesus

A jealous God

Wertbag

Exodus 20-5:  "Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God"

I always thought this was a strange thing for a loving God to say.  Why would a perfect being admit to petty nonsense like jealousy?  

Should we laugh and show them the errors of their ways?  NO!  Put them to the sword for daring to worship a false idol. 

But why would anyone worship a false idol?  Seems apparent that even back then the people weren't sure there was a god.  Surely if He was around and making Himself obvious then there wouldn't have been any other religions or mis-guided worship?

Is there any common apologetics that cover the "jealous god"?

• Like 2

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

On 12/21/2020 at 1:44 PM, Wertbag said:

Is there any common apologetics that cover the "jealous god"?

The only one I can think of is the old argument that we worms aren't smart enough, or worthy of understanding God. 

Just now, Weezer said:

The only one I can think of is the old argument that we worms aren't smart enough, or worthy of understanding God. 

So, stop asking questions.  Just believe and obey!  😁

• Super Moderator

He's jealous for our own good.  Because he loves us sooooo much that he can't stand the thought of having to throw us into hell for worshipping somebody other than him.  

• Like 1

I have recently become very confused and puzzled about the idea of worship in general. I mean even Jesus one time says I do not receive glory from men.

What is it exactly, its essence? From what I can gather this Godhead demands exlusive praise and obedience and is a combination of a very jealous girlfriend and tyrannical father. He cannot stand you rven looking with affection at another being or listening to its opinion openly. I cannot imagine a half decent human being like that, let alone a most perfect transcendent being.

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

I have recently become very confused and puzzled about the idea of worship in general. I mean even Jesus one time says I do not receive glory from men.

What is it exactly, its essence? From what I can gather this Godhead demands exlusive praise and obedience and is a combination of a very jealous girlfriend and tyrannical father. He cannot stand you rven looking with affection at another being or listening to its opinion openly. I cannot imagine a half decent human being like that, let alone a most perfect transcendent being.

This puts me in mind of Paul's view of marriage.  It's a mystery that is ultimately meant to teach the relationship between christ and the church, where the husband (christ) is the head and the bride (church) is submissive.  So, even when it comes to the closest and most intimate relationship humanly possible, god still has to make it all about himself.

The book of Job is the perfect framing of the bible god's narcissism. He can purposefully arrange for his most loyal to be tortured through disfiguring sickness, have his children killed, his finances ruined, and expect slavish devotion. Christians then borrowed the concept of damnation from the Greeks and Romans, tacked that onto Judaism which didn't have heaven or hell for humans, and cranked up the dial to 11 on the perverse nature of this god's "love".

Actually, many of the ancient gods were this way. The Greeks had "lesson" stories about not being too pretty, not doing your work to the point of flawless excellence, or a god might rape you, disfigure you, turn you into a monster, etc. I think this was how people tried to balance the outcome of their worship, temple-building, and sacrifices with the seeming unhearing gods that ignored their plights, desires, and needs. It was always the fault of the humans, and the gods could be complete jerks BUT they were still the gods and "Man is nothing without the gods" (Poseidon to Odysseus. By the way, Poseidon is the one that raped the virgin Medusa in the temple of Artemis, who then banished her to a remote island and turned her into a Gorgon). They even treated other gods and godlike creatures this way, like the Titans being destroyed or imprisoned by the Olympians. They also usually had the concept of kings ruling rather than a parent or a benevolent life-giving spark that sought for us become smarter and to get along and help the planet thrive.