Goodbye Jesus

Brother Mario

Brothermario

1 hour ago, Edgarcito said:

affirmative

Have you ever questioned the seeming inconsistency of god?  It was the story of Job, Abraham being told to kill his son, the flood, and God telling the Israelites to slaughter the Canaanites, and take their land, wives and daughters, AFTER telling them previously to not kill, steal, and covet their neighbors wives, AND THEN later sending Jesus with, love thy enemy, turn the other cheek kinds of message, that jolted my brain into saying WAIT A MINUTE----WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?  This simply did not add up to God being omnipotent and unchanging.  I began to consider that maybe the change was due to man's changing ideas about God.  Not that God had changed.  And that maybe man had invented this God they were writing about.  And it was mighty poor planning for someone promoting a religion to include that inconsistency in their bible.  It took a few years for all that to sink in.  Have I missed something?  Am I confused?

• Super Moderator
7 minutes ago, Braggadocio said:

Redneck, change my name back to Brothermario.

Why?  Is it so difficult to see yourself for who you really are?

13 minutes ago, Braggadocio said:

BrotherMario, while you are here, would you answer my questions above?

Weezer, at this very moment thousands of children are starving to death. Human beings all over the world can’t get together and stop this horrible suffering. But you want me to condemn God for an Old Testament parable about how living our lives in gratitude for our lives no matter what happens in our lives? And you want me to tell you that you’re a better parent than God because you wouldn’t make your children suffer, like the parable says God did?

Satan isn’t allowed to destroy our livestock or give us boils or kill our children. But these things happen to us, and God IN HIS WISDOM allows them to happen to us.

And his wisdom isn’t a mystery like your buddy Edgar will tell you it is.

This is his wisdom: He created children who will become glorious like him through a brief life of trials and tribulations; for when they make courageous choices, work hard, love beautifully, don’t whine selfishly, and exercise their free will in a myriad of ways that uplift even everyone around them, they become greater human beings capable of receiving even greater rewards, eternal rewards, after they die.

In a word, great people welcome the opportunity to do great things, and wisely have little interest in easy things handed to them on a silver platter.

Now, I told you the truth.

If you feel I insulted you, then know I wasn’t thinking about you at all.

And I wasn’t avoiding you. I couldn’t log in because Redneck changed my name when I was busy working all day.

Weezer, remember how President Truman decided that to save American soldiers’ lives it was a good thing to instantly kill 100,000 Japanese, twice?

What if I told you that Noah actually existed at a time when all of humanity wasn’t that many people? And a very large community of these people were very evil people who were multiplying rapidly and were one day going to overrun all the good people and lead humanity down a dark path it would never recover from. So God thought it was a good thing to have the best person he could find living near these evil people save his family, and as many innocent animals he could in the surrounding area, by putting them on an ark. And then God drowned the evil people and saved humanity from going down a dark path, and maybe extinction.

What would you say then?

8 minutes ago, Braggadocio said:

Now, I told you the truth.

Yes, I believe you told the truth. Thank you.  If I were still a Christian, and believed God was a just and loving God, I would pray that he had mercy on your twisted soul.  And driving home today it occurred to me that something HAS been accomplished by your being here.  It has stimulated my brain activity (which my aging brain needs) and confirmed some of the human behavior theories I have studied.  I do pray/hope to goodness that your thinking and behavior haven't caused problems with your family, and that you can come back to reality with out a major "crash".  But according to the theories, you may go to your grave, "as is".  Best wishes! 

Wertbag, I literally wrote that I had hopes that some of the skeptics here were different than their ridiculous counterparts.

And read the posts of your friends today while I was at work.

I would ignore the performance art between Redneck and Edgar.

11 minutes ago, Braggadocio said:

And then God drowned the evil people and saved humanity from going down a dark path, and maybe extinction.

What would you say then?

If it happened that way, it is sad that God didn't find a way to save the innocent children of those wicked people.  I believe it is a fable to scare unknowing people into subjection, fabricated by sly humans, similar to the way the whole bible was compiled.  It is similar to numerous other ancient myths.

Walter, people who have similar experiences of God know they have had them because they talk about God in similar ways.

My experiences of God gave to me knowledge of God.

As I came to know God better, and the Truth better, I came to love God.

To love God is to know the Truth about God, and ourselves.

When a skeptic argues against the existence of God, that skeptic is also arguing against the love of God.

Love and Truth are always joined together.

I don’t know what you’re experiences of God have been.

Why should I?

Weezer, I like my take on Noah’s Ark better.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, Braggadocio said:

never mind, I’ve got nothing for the likes of you

What an unoriginal way of confirming that you can't answer. 

43 minutes ago, Braggadocio said:

My experiences of God gave to me knowledge of God.

I have talked with others who had that experience,  and their "knowledge" was different than yours.  How could that be?  I would think he would be more consistant.

47 minutes ago, Braggadocio said:

Weezer, I like my take on Noah’s Ark better.

I'm sure you do.

1 hour ago, Braggadocio said:

This is his wisdom......... and exercise their free will in a myriad of ways that uplift even everyone around them

Evidently you missed that session.

Weezer, I just read your other post accusing me of mental illness, like you’ve done a few times before.

YOU have a demented view of people with a powerful relationship with God.

Here’s some more truth about ME:

I married my wife 22 years ago. I knew her from high school, and while I was living a selfish life she was raising three kids alone. Her husband had run off with all their money 15 years before that, leaving her with a one year old, three year old, and six year old. When I showed up, she was working three jobs and living in a  three-story rundown tenement she bought from selling her nice house at the divorce.

Two weeks before I ran into her, I made a promise to God that if I met a good woman I would stop living a selfish life smoking weed and dating different women. One week after that I made the promise again.

The next week my cousin came in from California (he’s the guy on the cover and inside Playboy with Nancy Reagan) and we went to see our other cousin who was a bouncer at a nightclub. I hadn’t been to a nightclub in six years.

My wife walked up to me that night and she told me that she was there to see her sister who worked there and pestered her to be there. She had not been to a nightclub for six years either.

We got married three months later.

Her youngest child, who was 15, changed his last name to mine when his mother did. Six months ago his wife had a baby, Mila Mello, our fifth grandchild. He has a six-figure job working for Hibu, the old YellowBook, after he won the job as my Hibu rep and after I told my old rep that my stepson was his perfect replacement because he got his degree and never smoked or drank in his life. My old rep called me on that day.

I could write for about an hour about the personal and professional successes of my family.

I built our new house on land I had, and kept expanding it and making it the place to be for our family.

My family is always here.

My grandchildren are between 21 and 6 months, and the older ones would tell you that the funniest person they know is their Papa. My 18 year old grandson was Joe Mello the Painter for Halloween when he was about 12. He posted a video on YouTube of him in his painter’s outfit lip singing to my favorite song that I have played at every family gathering, “Now That We Found Love”.

Knowing and loving God makes us mentally well, you fucking idiot.

Reagan’s daughter Patti Davis.

The edit button is on a timer?

Weird

1 hour ago, Braggadocio said:

Knowing and loving God makes us mentally well, you fucking idiot.

I won't bore you with the story of my 24 years of trying to save the world through Christian programs and fostering abused children.

If what you say about your good deeds in life, and your family is true, that is great.  Are "skeptics" the only ones you treat with disdain?  Didn't God have Jesus give you a session on treating others with respect?  You shot yourself in the foot in the beginning of your participation here. And I suspect you will succeed in getting yourself banned from the site.  Not very effective communication. 

And this discussion is going in ridicilous circles.

Gee, putting a poster on ignore is really simple.  I know because I just did it.  Simply place your mouse pointer over the name of the poster (upper left of one of their posts).  A mini-window opens with the option "Ignore User" and click on it.  In the next full window, select what content you want to ignore (one or all of the four little checkboxes).  Easy Peasy, and in many cases quite healthy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Braggadocio said:

double post

4 hours ago, Braggadocio said:

Weezer, remember how President Truman decided that to save American soldiers’ lives it was a good thing to instantly kill 100,000 Japanese, twice?

What if I told you that Noah actually existed at a time when all of humanity wasn’t that many people? And a very large community of these people were very evil people who were multiplying rapidly and were one day going to overrun all the good people and lead humanity down a dark path it would never recover from. So God thought it was a good thing to have the best person he could find living near these evil people save his family, and as many innocent animals he could in the surrounding area, by putting them on an ark. And then God

If you and Weezer don't mind, I will throw in my 2 cents.

The US didn't kill 99.99+% of the Japaneses people when we dropped 2 unimaginably terrible weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  I agree with you that the decision was made to save lives on both sides and it likely accomplished that goal.  We could debate on whether or not it was the right decision elsewhere.

However, if one believes in god and that god is all-powerful and all-knowing, then he knew what was going to happen when he created humans.  He could have, in his infinite power and knowledge, found another way.  You mentioned the Adam and Eve story earlier.  When one considers the old testament, and especially Genesis, it is clear that god is the villain of the story.  He creates humanity knowing that the fall would happen.  He causes the fall due to the inherent defect that he built into humans.  He then gives humans free will and then gets pissy that humans are freely deciding to operate in ways he doesn't like.  What is his solution to this problem of his own making?  Kill kill kill kill kill kill kill and after that a whole lot more killing.  Barely an attempt at rehabilitation whatsoever, just trying to correct his own mistakes by spilling as much blood as possible.

Then we find ourselves in the new testament, the supposed good news of christianity.  What is the alleged creator's solution?  Another death, literally a human sacrifice.  Our churches would have us believe that after this occurred, this mad deity's blood-lust had finally been sated, but a little more reading shows us that it isn't the case.  The book of Revelation shows much more death yet to come, on a scale that would make the flood, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the Crusades combined look like nothing but a warm-up act.   Heck, he even killed Ananias and Sapphira for lying about their finances.  Even the IRS doesn't go that far.  Oh, and what does this evil, immensely powerful toddler have in mind for people like me?  Eternal (read infinite) torture for a finite lifetime of supposed crimes.  I don't care who you are or how smart you claim to be, you simply can not make the case that that is any sort of justice.

Before you complain that I am misrepresenting what you believe, I know you have said that you are not a born again christian.  However, you have made references to some bible passages that can't lead to any other conclusion than what you believe is at least partially informed by the bible.  I would just like to point out that you had better hope that us atheists and skeptics are right, because if we're not, and anything approaching the god of the bible is in charge, then you are pretty much screwed as well. 

• Thanks 1

Jump right in poet.  But before you put too much effort Into it, review his posts.  You will wind up going in circles.  But I guess it is better than watching the boob tube.

2 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Jump right in poet.  But before you put too much effort Into it, review his posts.  You will wind up going in circles.  But I guess it is better than watching the boob tube.

Oh, I know.  I was the first person to wade into this particular swamp.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:57 PM, Braggadocio said:

The metric of QUALITY, Warrior.

An untrained intellect professional at being superficial would call me an amateur.

And back to our convo.

First, I wasn't calling YOU an amateur, that would be an ad hominem, which I usually try to avoid when dealing with people.  I was saying your little word game in this one instance was amateur.

Next, what in hell does "the metric of quality" even mean?  Are you really unable to take a look outside of yourself and see that neither you nor anybody else is the ultimate goal of the universe?  Because here is a news flash for you, the universe has no goal, no highest level of achievement.  If the universe could be concerned about things, than it would not be concerned about us.  We are a tiny fraction of one percent of the biomass on a tiny planet orbiting an almost average star in galaxy that is 1 out of at least a hundred billion.

We are conscious, which is amazing.  Our brains are almost indescribably awesome.  We have internal organs and immune systems that work in ways that boggle the imagination.  I will grant you all of that.  What I will not grant is that any of this makes us greater than any of the other amazing but unliving things in the world or universe.  When you get down to it, life could (somewhat cynically but also somewhat accurately) be described as nothing more than chemistry with delusions of grandeur.

Warrior, everything you wrote was written by someone else and then you read it. You literally didn’t have an original thought to share.

But what’s truly pathetic is that you’re teaching me about God because you read about God in the Old Testament, but you don’t really believe God exists anyway.

Are you fucking kidding me? This lamebrain thinking wins a badge around here?

You don’t believe in something that you only read about, and then you think you are the expert person everyone should listen to about that something?

And you coming here like a hero who’s going to set me straight about Jesus is even more delusional.

You’ve got the New Testament all figured out, have you? Sure you do.

God so loved the world that he sent his only son into the world. And his only son gave everything he could because he so loved his father. And in return he became the greatest person who ever lived, a person who became a suffering and dying humanity’s greatest hope for two thousand years, and a person who is STILL ALIVE and a KING!

But you whine like a little bitch and call out God because being a human being, a limited created being who is not God, involves suffering and death.

You are the skeptic I have been talking about—a superficial insignificant untrained intellect in the head of a delusional bigmouth putz who woke up one day a self-appointed genius.

Now go get some support from the other putzes here.

But no matter what they tell you or you tell yourself, I just slapped you around like a spoiled child.