Goodbye Jesus

Brother Mario

Brothermario

Weezer,

"Is it true that the Catholics gave Hitler very little resistance?"

Although there are/ were more protestants in Germany than Catholics, there was still a large Catholic populous. The Lutherans were more in line with Hitler than the Catholics. The Popes were rightfully afraid of the Nazis and appalled by their threats, but were afraid to speak out because of threats to the Catholic clergy in Germany and other occupied countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_Nazi_Germany

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Brothermario ain't with us no more.

What a relief. It seems borderline unethical to be bantering with someone who clearly has a mental illness. It just feeds his narcissism. Its really sad that he has so many blind spots. Even the best of therapists (I suspect) would be challenged to make any progress with this guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freshstart said:

What a relief. It seems borderline unethical to be bantering with someone who clearly has a mental illness.

I was concerned about that at first, but decided there was no need to worry.  People like him are more of a personality disorder.  Not an "illness" like major depression, schizophrenia, and others that need medication.  Their psychological defenses are strong and they usually aren't "fragile".   The prognosis for change is very poor.  

He probably can be charming and successful at things when he wants to be.  But notice that his profession is not working closely with people.

Lets refrain from attempting to web diagnose mental illness. Not every narsistic arsehole necessarily has a mental illness that precludes meaningful conversation. Sometimes an arsehole is just an arsehole.

Do you think there was any significance to his choice of the skeptic label rather than the more common atheist? Is it just anyone who is skeptical of his claims, which would include many theists as well? Does he dislike skeptical Christians? He certainly had a problem with born again or protestant Christians, so perhaps he picked a label to include those other groups he disagrees with?

6 hours ago, Weezer said:

I am thinking that perhaps, in his mind, he won.  Not as big as in giving him attention (which narcissist crave) (be it positive, or negative) by continuing to argue with him, but in a smaller way he won because he also enjoys frustrating people.  So in a sense he won, because in his mind he was successful in frustrating us to the point of banning him.  Perhaps the only way to "win" with him would have been to completely ignore him. 

I do think the post of the crying child probably got under his skin.  That was hitting close to home.

Many a true image posted in jest, Weezer.

Please check out the video on Brothermario's website.

joemellopainting.com

What image does it start and finish with?

;)

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
9 hours ago, Weezer said:

I am thinking that perhaps, in his mind, he won. 

The reason I resisted banning him for so long was because it was clear to me that he wanted to make a martyr of himself.  So it was necessary to not ban him until it was absolutely clear that he deserved it.  I don't mind people hurling insults at me, because I know I'm pretty abrasive myself; but when more civilized folk like Walt or Wertbag become targets for abuse, I can only abide that for so long.

I'm sure in Brothermario's mind, he did become a martyr.  He came to tell us his truth, and we rejected it and banned him because we just couldn't bear to hear it.  But the fact is, were it not for his incessant hurling of insults, he would still be here among us.  He's not a martyr; he's just a socially awkward egomaniac with a low self-esteem and poor communication skills. 

Whether SuperMario thinks he won is immaterial to me.  He is also convinced God revealed himself to him in a special way, after all.  My question is, would our audience think he made a good case for theism or Christianity?  And I’m confident that the audience we care about - primarily those somewhere in the deconversion process and secondarily open-minded believers - would think he hurt his cause.  I think Edgarcito would agree.  

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
6 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Do you think there was any significance to his choice of the skeptic label rather than the more common atheist? Is it just anyone who is skeptical of his claims, which would include many theists as well? Does he dislike skeptical Christians? He certainly had a problem with born again or protestant Christians, so perhaps he picked a label to include those other groups he disagrees with?

That was a rather curios distinction for him to make.  If I had to hazard a guess, which I don't, I'd say that, in Mario's version of reality, there simply are No True Scotsmen besides himself.  In fact, were I a gambling man, I'd be willing to wager my golden fiddle that Mario considers everyone from the priest of his local parish to the very Vicar of Christ himself to be an untrained intellect attached to a personality, none of whom are capable of having a real experience with god like he had.

As I see it, that is the problem with special revelations: they can easily imprison one inside of one's own mind.  Once that happens, no one else will ever be intelligent enough, holy enough, radical enough, "whatever" enough, to break down the walls and get to the scared little child inside.  Mario might come across as being as confident and intelligent as he is belligerent and insulting, but underneath the bellicosity, there is a scared little boy huddled and shivering in the shadowy corners of his unpainted prison cell.  A pitiful creature, really; and worthy of compassion from better men than I.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

...Sometimes an arsehole is just an arsehole.

Well I'm too late to participate in this fascinating discussion.

At least I got here in time to catch the above quote.

10 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Lets refrain from attempting to web diagnose mental illness. Not every narsistic arsehole necessarily has a mental illness that precludes meaningful conversation. Sometimes an arsehole is just an arsehole.

He did remind me of a schizophrenic that I once knew, though. Something about the belligerence and egotism. I also wondered if that painting company was just some poor guy he found on the internet, and he was impersonating him.

Also, he grew up in the Catholic church, and they believe in mysticism, exorcism, etc.  In his mind he was a mystic.  Had a special relationship with God.  But all the insults don't quite figure into their beliefs.

• Super Moderator
58 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Also, he grew up in the Catholic church, and they believe in mysticism, exorcism, etc.  In his mind he was a mystic.  Had a special relationship with God.  But all the insults don't quite figure into their beliefs.

I'm not assuming that anything he claimed was actually true. For all we know he could be some 16 year old whiz kid living in his mom's basement and dividing his time between video games and posting lies. Or he might be a defrocked priest trying to deal with his pedophilia problem. Perhaps an Ex-C just having us on!

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Weezer said:

But all the insults don't quite figure into their beliefs.

6 minutes ago, florduh said:

I'm not assuming that anything he claimed was actually true. 

It did occur to me early on that several years in a monastery should have given rise to a bit more humility. 

I am leaning that all was not as it seemed.  If you go back and try to piece together his life's timeline it doesn't add up correctly.  Truth seems to be a rather loose concept for that one.

5 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

It did occur to me early on that several years in a monastery should have given rise to a bit more humility. 

Yes. I was surprised at his attitude considering his claimed monastic experience and revelations etc. Apparently he didn't read in the Bible that pride goeth before a fool. Or to love thy neighbor as thyself. Or to be humble and filled with the meekness of the spirit.

I think he took his leading from the OT. "The Lord is a jealous and avenging God; the Lord is avenging and wrathful; the Lord takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies"

I have very little to say about Brothermario.

Except this.

He appealed to philosophy, claiming philosophical expertise and philosophical justification for his beliefs.

But what did he do when I asked him to honour one of the most basic of philosophical principles?

The burden of proof (Latin: onus probandi, shortened from Onus probandi incumbit ei qui dicit, non ei qui negat) is the obligation on a party in a dispute to provide sufficient warrant for their position.

He pretended that I didn't exist.

Please draw your own conclusions.

Thank you.

Walter.

I must admit that I was trying to push his buttons there at the end of my engagement with him.  Once anyone tries to defend the perpetrator of genocide, my hackles tend to go up, even if that genocide is fictional.

He was kind enough to give me what I wanted though.  I might have been the target of more of his attempted insults in one tirade than anyone else in this entire thread.  I was extremely glad to help him show everyone his character.

I was just a little disappointed though.  There in the early middle part of this thread, for a few glorious minutes, we seemed to be getting somewhere.  I leave for a night, log in the next day and he had turned that all to 💩.

11 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I'm sure in Brothermario's mind, he did become a martyr.  He came to tell us his truth, and we rejected it and banned him because we just couldn't bear to hear it.  But the fact is, were it not for his incessant hurling of insults, he would still be here among us.  He's not a martyr; he's just a socially awkward egomaniac with a low self-esteem and poor communication skills.

In Brother Mario's mind the Dunning-Kruger effect rules supreme....

• Super Moderator

Lord jesus we pray in your holy spirit and with the authority of your mighty name that you will send a new (and better) apologist into our midst, that we may reveal the true character of christian mind-fuckery.  Also, we're out of chips; could you pick some up on your way down here?  

Amen

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
34 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

In Brother Mario's mind the Dunning-Kruger effect rules supreme....

The Dunning-Kruger effect only applies to untrained intellects.

• Haha 2

Hell, may as well be congressional about it.

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Lord jesus we pray in your holy spirit 

And Brahman, and the monotheistic god of a thousand names...

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Amen

And, apparently, Awomen as it were...

🤣

• Haha 1

Look at the ad and video on what he claims is his website.  It smacks of narcissism.  I can believe he was being honest about that.  Joemellopainting.com

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WarriorPoet said:

There in the early middle part of this thread, for a few glorious minutes, we seemed to be getting somewhere.  I leave for a night, log in the next day and he had turned that all to 💩.

I got that same feeling a couple of times.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Look at the ad and video on what he claims is his website.  It smacks of narcissism.  I can believe he was being honest about that.  Joemellopainting.com

So this guy is a painter by trade? Blue collar, self proclaimed master of philosophy and catholic mystical thinking???

Remember the general contractor down here I was talking about? Very similar scenario. The guy is convinced that he has atheism, and the theory of evolution for that matter, completely debunked. The only problem is that he doesn't even understand the definition of atheism nor what evolution even consists of. But in his mind (subjective experience) he's taken on the system of secular thinking and is a hero figure to the public. It's a wonderful delusion. He must really enjoy waking up every morning and patting himself on the back. 

You tend to run into all types of various eccentrics in the trades, let's put it that way....

• Thanks 1