Goodbye Jesus

The prayer read in Congress is whole levels of stupid

Wertbag

Wow, just saw this article about a prayer read in Congress (3min video):

Its so stupid...  the attempt to be gender inclusive means changing any non-gendered word that contains MAN in it.

• Haha 2

Saying Awomen is dumb, so is saying Amen. So is talking to imaginary friends. I agree, Ben.

But....

What I also find absurd is when bibleGod said "I am that I am", aka Yod Hey Vav Hey in Hebrew, Jews finding it too sacred to speak so they convert it to YHVH, then stretching it out to Yahweh or Jehovah. That just cracks me up. 

That and chopping off the end of your wiener.

• Haha 2

I got a good chuckle out of it! Very stoopid.....

I hope we see more and more of these things.  I like to see the eternal, unchangeable, truths of religions change over time according to prevailing social norms.  It's stupid but, in this case, I sort of like it because it's stupid.  It's not like I care if the word amen gets a (in biblical terms) concubine.  If it catches on it will be just one more thing to chuckle at if I find myself in a church again.

mwc

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Will the also be singing Hers alongside of Hymns?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't often agree with Ben, smug little shit that he can be, but on this occasion I completely agree with him. The level of ignorance and lack of awareness to be able to say "Amen and Awomen" in public astounds me. Unless of course he is secretly an atheist and taking the mickey out of religion. 

As a person on the 'left' side of the political spectrum (if that concept even makes any sense) I'd like to disclaim those nut-bags. That's not left or progressive, it's just plain stupid. 

• Like 1

Ok so I did some research. Apparently it was not an attempt to equalize men and women according to the Rev that opened the prayer. It was a light pun at the end of the prayer in recognition of the record number of women coming into congress.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/05/a-woman-prayer-emanuel-cleaver-amen-critics 

Which if true highlights how quick we are to interpret and judge things in the worst possible light. That interpretation being that the guy is a dimwit who doesn't understand the meaning and origin of the word Amen. If he is to be believed per the article it was merely a pun intended to recognize women, not an attempt and 'correcting' gendered language.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mwc said:

I hope we see more and more of these things.  I like to see the eternal, unchangeable, truths of religions change over time according to prevailing social norms.  It's stupid but, in this case, I sort of like it because it's stupid.  It's not like I care if the word amen gets a (in biblical terms) concubine.  If it catches on it will be just one more thing to chuckle at if I find myself in a church again.

mwc

Hell, we are all in need of more "chuckle-worthy" moments, fer sure!