Goodbye Jesus

It's time to admit you've been stood up

Wertbag

Roman 16-20 "The God of peace will soon crush Satan"

Rev 1:1 " the things which must soon take place..."

Rev 1:3 "...for the time is near"

Rev 22:7 & 12 & 20 "I am coming soon"

Rev 22:10 "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near."

Mark 13:27 "this generation will not pass away until all these things take place"

So many claims that the end times are "soon", and every generation of Christians has believed they are living in them.  Now two thousand years later the same claims are still being made.  If you say to a Christian "Hey, I think you might have been stood up", they will simply quote 2 Peter 3:3 "Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.”

So He's coming soon, but to question when makes you a mocker, which is exactly a sign of the end times.  Questioning equals confirming.

I always get the mental image of someone waiting by the phone for the person to call back after a first date. "He's going to call, we had good times and He said He would.  He's just busy, He's got a universe to run but once that's done He'll call".  Come on Christians, you need to let go.  Plenty more Gods in the sea.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

I love the 2 Peter reference. It actually seems that the author goofed in revealing they were not actually Peter! "For ever since the fathers fell asleep...," would Peter not be one of the fathers of Christianity, therefore, 2 Peter is likely a forgery. Even conservative Christian scholars have said that if there is a forgery in the Bible, it is 2 Peter, but they will not go so far as to say that is actually is.

Do not forget 1 John 2:18: "Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared; from this we know that it is the last hour."

This theme is so rampant in the NT it is ridiculous. This idea, and its failure, was one of the top three reasons I thought the Bible could not possibly be the "Word of God."

• Like 2

I had to sit through an hour long talk about how current events are signs of the end. A customer down here wanted to vent the other day about it. The way I handled it was to first point out my history as an SDA. That my family is related to William Miller of the historical, "Great Disappointment of 1844."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment

I told him to google it. And then I added that I knew a Herald Camping devotee who was absolutely certain that the rapture would take place in 2011, or whenever it was. He thought that he had loopholes in the bible that allowed knowledge of a fixed date. Camping preached that only the unsaved would be surprised and see the 2nd coming like a thief in the night - abrupt and without notice. 

I pointed out that century after century people have been consistently misinterpreting the bible to correspond to contemporary politics and circumstances. And that if he accepts the bible as true, then he must also accept that the 2nd coming or end of time is completely unknown as a fixed date. So it may just as well be another century going on the standard of the bible. No matter how much it appears as if contemporary politics seem to indicate that it's happening now or soon ahead.

I figured that was a fair way of putting it to this customer, who, is obviously not ready to hear anything beyond that most basic point. I don't think any of it mattered, though. He's convinced that all contemporary controversies are fulfilling prophecy. It will all have to pass as uneventful before he's ready to move on. But he seemed to respect the way I responded. And didn't push any further. 

He'd shit himself if I went deeper into the real issue laid out in the OP!!!!

It always seems close at hand because the original christians were predicting the end in their own generation. It didn't happen. So it's been forever projected out forward. And can continue being projected forward as long as you don't ever come to terms with the fact that it was a false prediction originally.....

• Like 3

I did have a Christian lady say "The end times are near, Matthew talks about 'Wars and rumours of wars' and we have that now.  He also mentions earthquakes and famine, which we see in the news.  Its all as the bible claimed!"  Talk about setting a low bar.  Has there ever been a point in human history that was completely peaceful?  Where there was no famine?  Hell, there are something like 20,000 earthquakes every year, so that one is just a given.

• Like 2

This reminds me of the John Frum Cargo Cult of Vanuatu.  I forget the book, but in it someone asked the cultists why they still believed John Frum would arrive after so many decades and they responded if the Christians can wait 2,000 years then they can wait at least 50 years.

When you're finally on the outside looking in it's almost comical.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wertbag said:

I did have a Christian lady say "The end times are near, Matthew talks about 'Wars and rumours of wars' and we have that now.  He also mentions earthquakes and famine, which we see in the news.  Its all as the bible claimed!"  Talk about setting a low bar.  Has there ever been a point in human history that was completely peaceful?  Where there was no famine?  Hell, there are something like 20,000 earthquakes every year, so that one is just a given.

'And low, I say unto thee, there will be cats and dogs living in peoples homes. Natural disasters will be happening. People will argue and fight with each other. And many, many more obvious things will be happening. These obvious things will indicate that the end is near!!! But no one will know the day or the hour of the end.' 

🤣

• Like 1