Goodbye Jesus

4 years deconverted.... almost

DarkBishop

Hey everyone,

Well I like to check in from time to time. I really should be more active but I do good to keep up with my ever changing life the past couple of years. This ones gonna be a bit of a bummer. As you all know Lady Bishop and I have had a rocky road of things, especially after I deconverted. The past two years we have dealt with major illness, deaths in the family, and of course covid 19 like everyone else. We are officially filing for divorce. Its not all because of our religious differences but its probably one of the biggest issues in recent years. It set us apart on a very deep level. We started our relationship as Christians and I was a preacher who ended up being ordained a bishop. She was raised in church and her grandfather who was a preacher is an anchor in her life. Things just haven't been the same. I guess its for the best...... but it still hurts. 

Even tho this event in my life has forever altered and changed my path, I still would not change it. I no longer have a fear of hell. Reality makes more sense than religious nonsense. My eyes are open. At the same time depression is real. Believe me I feel it.

A lot of people that may read this may have similar issues. Maybe its friends, spouse, family, or co-workers. This path, as enlightening as it is, can be difficult. Every person has their own path to walk. Even if the road gets rough, keep walking. Eventually new friends will come along, new romantic prospects will come along, your life will begin to change, and eventually you'll recreate your life outside of religious oppression. And you will be better for it. Best of all you will be you, and not what some archaic theology dictates.

Best regards,

Dark Bishop

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

DB, I'm sure you remember my nightmare divorce followed by a nightmare engagement the following year. It's hard to see out from the pit of despair. But I was right around the corner from something better that works well and makes more sense.

I would suggest that going forward you try and put the time into finding someone who has at least similar views to yourself. Open to agnosticism. Open to pantheism. Understanding the problems with organized religion. The most ideal ex christian situation, actually, are two people who are ex christians and completely understand one another's life journey. It may seem like a tall order, but trying to settle for a christian just for the sake of settling not to be alone could bring the same round of problems and struggles. 

Good to hear from you! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey DB, glad you checked in.  Hard to believe it’s been four years almost since you introduced yourself here.  If I recall, your deconversion started when you looked into the historic basis for the Exodus and found it to be seriously lacking. I know that was just the start of a lot of reading and learning that led you out of Christianity and placed your deconversion on a very firm footing.  The kind of firm footing that leads you to say that in spite of the pain and heartache that have been involved, you would not want to go back.  I trust you will be able to say at some point that you gained more than you lost. 

Always nice to hear from you: I hope you’ll be able to participate more in due course because your experience has a lot to offer to others.  Meanwhile, hang in there: the rough times will pass.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

We are officially filing for divorce. Its not all because of our religious differences

I've come to believe that a lifetime monogamous relationship is an unrealistic expectation for most humans - yet Christianity (and other religions) demand it.  That dictate may have served its purpose at some point in our history, but it creates anguish now for a lot of people who still aspire to it.  I could go on and on about this, but I don't want to derail things.  Good for you for taking a healthy step towards a happier future.  I wish I was as brave!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1