Goodbye Jesus

Scared of hell

YouDontNeedToKnow17

Hi

I became a Christian last year sometime, and I would stress about everything. I got my parents into Christianity again worried that they would go to hell, I stopped wearing things too revealing because I didn't want to cause anyone to stumble, I googled alot to see if things were sins, I was worried that if I didn't return things I stole or borrowed from friends that I would go to hell, I was so scared that I started sleeping in my parents room. I was friends with benefits with this guy (we're dating now) I was scared to kiss him for too long, cuddle for too long or even make out. Though we did a few times. From new years eve for about a week, I slept over at his house and I only stayed at home for one night during that time. I decided to do what I wanted, and we ended up having sex... The first 2 times I felt ashamed and cried (which he only knew about the next morning) the next time was my decision. Since then I enjoyed my freedom and didn't want to be a Christian. I told my parents and then didn't really go well... 

My point is that since leaving, I've really been scared of hell. I can't talk to my parents about it and I bother my boyfriend about it so much. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? I researched the history and how it isn't logical etc but I still can't shake it. I feel as if I'm going to be punished for turning away from God. 

• Super Moderator

It's okay for you to live your own life; and it's okay for you to make your own decisions.  Just use protection, okay?  The fear of hell will eventually pass, though I know it sucks right now.

Hey need to know, 

Great to have you here. Your best friend to shake the fear is knowledge. The more you study the easier it is to shake that fear. And I'm not talking about studying the Bible. Let that collect dust for awhile. One of my favorite scholars is Bart Ehrman. His work went a long way in helping me deconvert. I've been watching some of his you tube videos lately and they are really good as well. Reading his book heaven and hell may be a good start. This site has helped me immensely! Just being able to converse with people who have been through the same ordeal goes a long way. Lets you know your not alone. 

Best Regards,

DB

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YouDontNeedToKnow17 said:

I became a Christian last year sometime, and I would stress about everything.

Christian for about a year? 

Since then I enjoyed my freedom and didn't want to be a Christian. I told my parents and then didn't really go well... 

My point is that since leaving, I've really been scared of hell. I can't talk to my parents about it and I bother my boyfriend about it so much. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? I researched the history and how it isn't logical etc but I still can't shake it. I feel as if I'm going to be punished for turning away from God. 

Then wanted out? 

Here's the thing, christianity is not true. We know this well.

There isn't anything remotely true about it in the factual sense. Not the creation. Not the fall. Not hell or the devil. But equally not the angels and heaven and the rest either. It simply isn't based on established truths. 

You only feel like you're going to be punished because you still believe the lie that christianity is based on established truth, when it actually is not. When you 'understand for yourself' that christianity is not based on established truth, then you will understand that hell isn't remotely possible. 

Until you understand for yourself that it's wrong, it can seem like anything is possible and that it may be true. But it only seems that way at the moment. 

You could try playing devil's advocate and try and argue with us about the truth of christianity and witness what the debate will look like.

Would you like to try?

And try as hard as you can to show us what's true about it. Maybe seeing the futility of the argument will open your eyes a bit more. 

• Like 2

Violating your conscience isn't a good idea.  It produces anxiety.  You might want to back off anything you aren't comfortable with until you sort out your values.  

2 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Your best friend to shake the fear is knowledge. The more you study the easier it is to shake that fear.

Good advice.  Study, and trust your own judgement.

12 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

It's okay for you to live your own life; and it's okay for you to make your own decisions.  Just use protection, okay?  The fear of hell will eventually pass, though I know it sucks right now.

I will 😂 thank you

2 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Christian for about a year?

Not even 😕 just a few months. When I was a kid we used to go to church but we stopped going due to transport problems. I guess we were lukewarm Christians? 

2 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Would you like to try?

Not really 🙈 I wouldn't know where to start. It doesn't make sense to me anymore. 

2 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

One of my favorite scholars is Bart Ehrman.

I saw one of his books about everything that has been changed in the Bible, I asked my mom if I can get it but I think ill ask for that book instead. Thank you for your help, I appreciated it 😁

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your help 😁 I really appreciate it

The whole thing is make believe. 

Problem solved. 

I saw one of his books about everything that has been changed in the Bible, I asked my mom if I can get it but I think ill ask for that book instead. Thank you for your help, I appreciated it 😁

Youtube has a number of Bart's videos online.  I found those immensely helpful in my understanding of the creation of the New Testament.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Krowb said:

Youtube has a number of Bart's videos online.  I found those immensely helpful in my understanding of the creation of the New Testament.

Here’s a good one where he talks about his book “Heaven and Hell”

• Thanks 1