Goodbye Jesus

Original sin: how does belief in the 1st book of the bible vary among faiths/sects/churches?

alreadyGone

Many Christian sects are simply bonkers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

Many Christian sects are simply bonkers.

Many?

• Super Moderator

Many Christians think sects is icky unless you're married.  

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2021 at 11:30 AM, Hierophant said:

My wife gets on me every time someone brings up religion or Christianity. Normally predicated with, "he's a nerd, do not ask him unless you want to hear him go on for an hour."

Glad you found a home here with your fellow-nerds so you can spare the unsuspecting!

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
19 hours ago, TABA said:

Glad you found a home here with your fellow-nerds so you can spare the unsuspecting!

Exactly! Only place I know of where I can talk theology and biblical criticism and people actually know what I am talking about. Your average pew potato has no idea about scholarship or skepticism when the discussion gets going. Usually if someone hears that I know a lot about the Bible, has some questions, and they are a believer, I give them a warning up front that this may be a road they do not want to go down.

• Like 1

I shut down a religious talk with a customer just yesterday. Lot's of jesus talk and throwing around church comments.

I basically told him that I grew up in SDA church school. That usually shy's non SDA's off in and of itself. Then told him exactly why I don't believe SDAism. And concluded by proclaiming that all sects, groups, and denominations are obviously institutions and organizations of man. He agreed to that.

So I went further. I looked him in the face and asked if he believes an institution or membership brings salvation? He answered no. Then I just ended with that's why I've left the SDA and church and have not bothered joining another one. That was it. HE then changed the topic away from religion and went in a different direction. And we've got along just fine since then. 

Every so often I have to deal with people preaching or asking what church I belong to. And then figure out the best way to politely shut it down and not return to it again. 

• Like 1