I had a nightmare where a scary demon appeared. That was it, nothing else happened in the dream, but it scared me enough to wake me up. It's never happened before. Has anyone else had this happen?

• Super Moderator

I often have drunk dreams: dreams in which I relapse and get drunk again.  Usually in the dream, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to cope with active addiction again.  As a person in recovery, that is the same as a dream about wrestling a demon.

• Like 1

Our subconscious mind does really weird shit at times. I had the weirdest part horror dream last week where I killed someone. I can only assume it was because I've been reading Louis L'Amour books and they have a fair bit of killing in them. So perhaps you've been recently exposed to something or other about demons (TV show, books, talking etc) that might have triggered it?

• Like 1

I sure used to get a lot of those when I was a believer. Tons of dreams where I feel my muscles freezing up as I try to eek out the name of Jesus. Other dreams about angels descending, flying into my bedroom glowing brightly; a mountain where the presence of God was felt so powerfully that I wept. The most profound "demon" one was a few years after deconverting, and I assume that my subconscious was working out what to do with a lifetime of fear of non-existent monsters that had been validated by Christianity's demons. I've posted about this before, but essentially it was finding out what I would do if I faced "the devil". My initial response was to try and say "Jesus" while my body was freezing up from fear. Then I realized what I was doing and said clearly "No, I don't need Jesus to do this. I need to do this." He taunted me saying I was about to sin. I replied "There is no sin". After watching him (a little boy) running around playing, I stated/asked "You're me aren't you?" I see this as the deeply creative part of my mind that I had demonized since it didn't fit into the rules of what a born-again person should think or feel. This encounter was needed to help me not fear the creative inner boy, even if he seems way out there. 

Another time this part of my being had me in a place where I had gone insane and was in a house with very strange things happening. (This was after having participated in an "escape room" activity the previous day where the room was inside the mind of a crazy girl). David Bowie was sitting there watching me (I think that was my creative side again observing my reactions). I was the mother of a small family and my mind was going senile, one daughter knocking on the front door, me greeting her and asking about her sister. She replied as if far away, "Mom, she's been gone (dead) for years". My attention drifted to a side room with wooden floor where a little girl skated around. She was actually a doll with no hair and no eyes, and I chided her for losing her eyes again "Where are your eyes?" At that last statement, I (me this time, not the mom) knew I should be horrified at that statement and woke up. 

Dreams often reflect the previous day's thoughts and feelings, like the mind is sorting through them. Other dreams seem to be a virtual reality parable where life questions are played out with different players to give perspective on the situation. Nightmares for me usually happen when I have too many covers on and have warmed up too much. I keep my legs outside the covers typically, and once I started that practice I almost never have nightmares. 

• Like 1
  • Super Moderator
12 minutes ago, Fuego said:

Tons of dreams where I feel my muscles freezing up as I try to eek out the name of Jesus.

This sounds like nighttime paralysis.  I experienced it lot as a kid, as well.  The last time it happened, I was around 14 years old and an angry dwarf with fiery red hair was trying to hack at me with his ax.  As soon as I was able to say, "jesus" I could move again.  For me, at the time, it was proof positive that demons were real, but the name of jesus was still more powerful (every knee shall bow and what not). 

Later, I studied nighttime paralysis in a psychology class and it all suddenly made more sense.  Saying "jesus" didn't actually release me from the grip of angry demons.  Rather, my mind waking up and releasing my body out of the paralysis associated with REM sleep allowed me to say "jesus."

• Like 1

I don't know what the significance is, but don't think I ever had a "demon" dream.  It was always a real person trying to hurt me.  Or dreaming of falling from a height, but always woke up before hitting the bottom.    Haven't had one of those since leaving the faith.

• Like 1
On 2/9/2021 at 8:51 PM, Orbit said:

I had a nightmare where a scary demon appeared. That was it, nothing else happened in the dream, but it scared me enough to wake me up. It's never happened before. Has anyone else had this happen?

I had a dream when I was a kid that I was in the scary basement of our old house and a vampire was blocking the stairs... and I couldnt walk/run/move to get away. 

I also have one now and then that used to scare the shit out of me. If you ever watched the movie Entity (I think it was) this invisible evil entity pushes a woman up against the ceiling and holds her there ... I think the fear with this one has lessened as I consider that it's all on the demon to hold my fat ass up there. 

We all have scary dreams...even Christians do. :)

• Like 1

Once as a teenager I woke up in the pre-dawn hours and thought I saw a hideous demon face right in front of mine. It turned out to be a bunched-up fold in the blanket.

As an adult and after my deconversion, I once dreamed that I was in a classroom where a female teacher was giving a lecture. I'm not sure exactly how, but in the dream the realization came to me that she represented the mother goddess or divine feminine. I then looked down and saw a girl lying on the floor with what looked like flames projected onto her body. She looked up at me and said in a sarcastic deadpan voice, "I'm burning in hellfire forever." The whole thing played out like a little skit touching on the empty fear of the church system I had left.