Goodbye Jesus

Gina Carano Fired from Star Wars: The Mandalorian

LogicalFallacy

13 hours ago, mwc said:

If left unchecked it would devastate the population.  Not only with deaths but with long-term illnesses.  The vaccine is a much safer path in general.

Let's hope that it will put a dent in the pandemic. Some people are flat out not going to take it, though. Many of which are the medical professionals who are dead set against it. Whether that will matter one way or the other, I don't know. I guess we'll see over time. 

8 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

Many of which are the medical professionals who are dead set against it.

I have not seen that in the USA.  All the doctors offices here that I am aware of require masks, ask questions before setting appointments, take your temp before seeing you, and recommend the vaccination. 

As to the specific topic, apparently Gina got together with Ben Shapiro and she's moving on with some project they're doing together. I didn't read it all the way through. Just saw some headlines. So I take it she's moved on that's that. 

11 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

We don't know if they would have stormed the capital, but we do know they would have rioted. They were rioting already when they thought he had won before all the results were in and several key states were still red. There is no doubt that there would have been more riots. 

Yep.  This is certainly a more likely speculation given what was already happening.

mwc

9 hours ago, Weezer said:

By the way.  My wife and I got our virus shots last week, and the only down side was a slightly sore spot where they gave the injection.   

Have you checked with an ultraviolet lamp to see if any '666' tattoos have appeared at the injection site?

Scanned the injection scar with a wideband radio receiver perhaps?

For reference,

In binary:  666 =   0b1010011010

In hexadecimal:  666 = 0x29a

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Let's hope that it will put a dent in the pandemic. Some people are flat out not going to take it, though. Many of which are the medical professionals who are dead set against it. Whether that will matter one way or the other, I don't know. I guess we'll see over time. 

America has been fed a diet of mistrust and misinformation and this is one of the effects of it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, midniterider said:

America has been fed a diet of mistrust and misinformation and this is one of the effects of it. 

I didn't need a diet of mistrust fed to me.

Look carefully...  Or not.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

...What can I say? People love star wars related stuff 😆

Guy I worked with briefly in 1979 was an amateur magician and puppeteer who framed his act around Christian proselytizing, as "The Great Teddy Bear".

He would work children's parties, but also plugged the thing into a traveling church-guest show.  Quite the entrepreneur, he had published a "Great Teddy Bear's Favorite Recipes" book as well.

I recall him working on an updated puppet show which featured "Luke Skywalker as Jesus Christ" (his words to me). Never saw him present it, but he probably managed to pick up a collection-plate or two with that.

• Haha 1

From a fair portion of sci-fi in my younger days I gradually drifted to stuff that's more social+human commentary than space-cowboy interstellar travel adventure stuff.

Of course, the best sci-fi has always been exactly that, no matter the setting or scenario.

I'm thinking that between Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, and Ayn Rand there was contained more usable real-world knowledge about human beings and the reality of life in this world than the entire bible, by a factor of 3x at least.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When Bill Maher, liberal of liberals, has something to say about it you know it's getting bad.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

• Confused 1

On 3/5/2021 at 6:07 AM, LogicalFallacy said:

When Bill Maher, liberal of liberals, has something to say about it you know it's getting bad.

In April, please join me and Bill in celebrating Chill The Fuck Out month...

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
7 minutes ago, TABA said:

In April, please join me and Bill in celebrating Chill The Fuck Out month...

I would like to, but I don't see cancel culture slowing down. In my opinion, this idea that you can sterilize the world where nothing is offensive is just setting people up for failure. Does nothing but create weak people who are unable to deal with the way reality truly is. Why are mental health problems on the rise.....I wonder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Super Moderator

Cancel Culture is Offensive.

• Like 1

People are going to have to take a stand against this cancel culture bandwagon in bi-partisan or non-partisan rally. If the majority doesn't like it, and a minority has been allowed to push it this far, the majority needs to push back and stomp it out. I was just telling my wife the other day that most people seem to disagree with it. Maher pulls the poll that shows 80% of Americans think political correctness is a problem. I showed her that video clip. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 5:46 AM, LogicalFallacy said:

So what if you are a business owner and your employee is spouting some quite horrific views on, say, homosexuals? In America, depending on location, that might not make a big impact on whether people support your business. In countries like ours that can mean mass boycot of your business. The employees public views directly associated with your business is basically killing your company. You don't think you or I as a business owner should have the right to fire such employees to protect my business and my other employees? And isn't firing someone a form of speech? The employer is very loudly saying "hey I disagree with my employee and want no part of her"

Ultimately I think we agree that firing her was unfair in this case, but we are coming at it from different standpoints. I'm saying the bar was too low in this case, you are saying there shouldn't be a bar, people can say what they want, hence my question above. 

Maybe you live in a racist neighbourhood and having a black employee hurts your business and causes losses. Maybe you are a slave owner and banning slavery causes you losses....The fact that your bussiness will have losses should not and is not, legally speaking, a sufficiebt reason to fire somebody. Replace someone with other politucal views with a civil rights advocate. Do you think the people who employ them should have the right to fire them? How would you feel if the tables were turned? There are laws that protect from firing based on skin colour by the way.  You cannot fire someone just because they are black . Or a woman. That law limits employer's freedom regardless of his losses. That law should also include diverse political views.  If you cannot fire someobe bk they a jew or a Christian or a woman you should be able to fire someone based on their political affiliation or opinions. 

Also, ppl should boycott policies not persons.  Bk you might end up polarising. Do you want that all the real racist be fired and gather and make their own town/business?  That will increase the problem in my view.

By the way, your post is more an indictment of profit based capitalism that the employer's right to fire. If profit and gains are the ultimate arbitrer we are, excuse my English, royally f***kd. Believe you don't want employers to have that power.

And yes I think freedom of spedch should extend to private enterprises. If the place you spend most of your days and where you get mobey to eat for you and your family does not guarantee freedom of spechh than you do NOT have freedom of speech, only a mild superficial easily trampled on form of it.

I consider freedom of speech the main and most important right of all rights. It is the mother of civil rights in general. It should extend as far as possible, it should be taught and protected at almost all costs. You lose that you lose the foundation of everything good modern in modern western civilization. It is not a coincidence that blck civil rights leaders agreed with Ira Glaser in defending the rights of nazis and the Ku Klux Klan. I think facebook and all social media should be declared a public utility and be barred from most kinds of censorship and if the need arises that should be done by the courts. I am willing to except being mocked, ridiciled, offended, hurt, disgusted by any kind of speech as long the freedom remains.

Of course, a company can have rules about propaganda during working hours but that is just you not doing job and doing smthing else.

I would rather see all media nationalised than see freedom of speech limited.

I admit I am quite a fanatic on this issue but with argument. Lack of freedom of spech is the tool of every dictatorship and the protector of terror.

Ppl might say but this will increase violence and conspiracies. Bk violence and conspiracies just LOVE being uncovered and not being able to bully people into secrecy. I regard Edward Snowden as a hero of humanity and a model. Also lack freedom of info breeds suspicion and the fertile ground for all sorts of conspiracy theories.

You should boycott a company that has a policy against let s say gay people. Like if Pfizer refused to give vaccines to gay people. You should not care if they the CEO is a homophobe that does week marches with God hates fags signs.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who just doesn't think that "cancel culture" is really that big of a deal?

• Super Moderator
1 minute ago, disillusioned said:

Am I the only one who just doesn't think that "cancel culture" is really that big of a deal?

"Cancel Culture" isn't really a thing. Recently the "Right" has used the newly coined term to distract from those who won't put up with their misinformation (lies) and boorish behavior. People have always responded to what they strongly disagree with using their votes and pocketbooks. Companies never wanted to associate themselves with "controversial" figures - Hollywood blacklisting during the Great Commie Scare, for example. For decades the "League of Decency" has prevented movies from being screened in certain towns. Christians have mounted campaigns against D&D and Harry Potter (and Harry Potter even has a new breed of detractors with entirely different gripes these days). "Cancel Culture" should be more properly known by the original term, "Backlash." To say that not being allowed to publicly espouse bigotry and hatred is merely victimization by "Cancel Culture" is disingenuously sidestepping the fact that in the marketplace of ideas they are losing to a majority who doesn't hold such beliefs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, florduh said:

"Cancel Culture" isn't really a thing. Recently the "Right" has used the newly coined term to distract from those who won't put up with their misinformation (lies) and boorish behavior. People have always responded to what they strongly disagree with using their votes and pocketbooks. Companies never wanted to associate themselves with "controversial" figures - Hollywood blacklisting during the Great Commie Scare, for example. For decades the "League of Decency" has prevented movies from being screened in certain towns. Christians have mounted campaigns against D&D and Harry Potter (and Harry Potter even has a new breed of detractors with entirely different gripes these days). "Cancel Culture" should be more properly known by the original term, "Backlash." To say that not being allowed to publicly espouse bigotry and hatred is merely victimization by "Cancel Culture" is disingenuously sidestepping the fact that in the marketplace of ideas they are losing to a majority who doesn't hold such beliefs.

Yeah, that's more or less how I see it too.

2 hours ago, disillusioned said:

No doubt many alleged examples of Cancel Culture are overblown and silly, and some kinds of behavior, while legal, do need to be shunned by decent people.  But I think there are more and more frequent cases of much more worrying “cancellations”.   For example when the invertebrate owner and editor of the New York Times cave in to a hysterical group of staff members and get rid of a well-regarded journalist for a single innocent use of a Forbidden Word years ago, it really has become absurd and worrying. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/inside-the-new-york-times-firing-of-lauren-wolfe

I remember being told not too long ago - right here - that this kind of thing was only a concern in a small number of college campuses.  Well now it’s spreading into mainstream journalism and I doubt it will stop there.  

https://nypost.com/2020/07/14/bari-weiss-on-why-she-left-the-new-york-times/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, disillusioned said:

Come on. I completely get taking a stance against outright bigotry and racial comments, but it has turned into a circus. People are digging stuff up from decades ago and getting people fired. It is an absurdity. I am in favor of Europe's "Right to be Forgotten." People change and some off hand comment they may have made years ago does not mean that is an accurate representation of who they are now. Really, people losing their livelihoods over something said years ago. Is that really the kind of society we want to live in? Not only that, people are getting fired even for the perception they did something wrong or they are accused of it. What is this, the Salem Witch trials? What I find even more concerning is that it is a seemingly one way street. I have heard absolutely awful things levied at white people in general that would cause riots if it was stated about other races, but hey, I guess that is okay. There should be one standard that applies to everyone, plain and simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TABA said:

No doubt many alleged examples of Cancel Culture are overblown and silly, and some kinds of behavior, while legal, do need to be shunned by decent people.  But I think there are more and more frequent cases of much more worrying “cancellations”.   For example when the invertebrate owner and editor of the New York Times cave in to a hysterical group of staff members and get rid of a well-regarded journalist for a single innocent use of a Forbidden Word years ago, it really has become absurd and worrying. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/inside-the-new-york-times-firing-of-lauren-wolfe

I remember being told not too long ago - right here - that this kind of thing was only a concern in a small number of college campuses.  Well now it’s spreading into mainstream journalism and I doubt it will stop there.  

https://nypost.com/2020/07/14/bari-weiss-on-why-she-left-the-new-york-times/

So a journalist got fired for a stupid reason, and another quit her job. Why should I care?

People get fired all the time. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad reasons. If the fired party believes they were wrongfully dismissed, they are free to take it up in court. I just don't see that this is either new, or that big of a deal.

I don't know a single person who has actually been affected by "cancel culture". Not one. So again, why should I care?

6 minutes ago, Hierophant said:

Come on. I completely get taking a stance against outright bigotry and racial comments, but it has turned into a circus. People are digging stuff up from decades a go and getting people fired. It is an absurdity. I am in favor of Europe's "Right to be Forgotten." People change and some off hand comment they may have made years ago does not mean that is an accurate representation of who they are now. Really, people losing their livelihoods over something said years ago. Is that really the kind of society we want to live in? Not only that, people are getting fired even for the perception they did something wrong or they are accused of it. What is this, the Salem Witch trials? What I find even more concerning is that it is a seemingly one way street. I have heard absolutely awful things levied at white people in general that would cause riots if it was stated about other races, but hey, I guess that is okay. There should be one standard that applies to everyone, plain and simple.

I'm sorry, I just don't see this.

Maybe things are drastically different where you live vs where I live, but as I said to TABA above, I don't know a single person who has been "cancelled". The only examples I know of are celebrities, and I'm afraid I just don't have much sympathy there. When literally nobody in my life is affected by something, I find it difficult to buy that it's something I should be concerned about. That's all.

• Super Moderator
2 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

So a journalist got fired for a stupid reason, and another quit her job. Why should I care?

People get fired all the time. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad reasons. If the fired party believes they were wrongfully dismissed, they are free to take it up in court. I just don't see that this is either new, or that big of a deal.

I don't know a single person who has actually been affected by "cancel culture". Not one. So again, why should I care?

Because it has turned into, "if you do not agree with my ideology, we are going to ruin your life." I spent 21 years in the military to support the idea of free political ideas, within reason. Cancel culture is all about silencing dissent. Again, I am not going to stand up for anyone who is actually espousing racist ideas, because race does not inherently mean lesser. It is unscientific. Character and values are how I evaluate other people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2