Goodbye Jesus

How will you celebrate Easter?

AcrobaticDetective

Being Christian for almost half a century has left a mark on me. Easter was always my favorite religious holiday. As a nonbeliever, as they say, I'd like to find an alternative way to celebrate. I was thinking of following some of the older pagan traditions. I'm not interested in goddess worship (still an atheist).

Any ideas? What are some of your ex-Christian traditions?

I always celebrate Easter the same way:  Mass quantities of chocolate.

• Like 2

Same as Astreja, followed by confessional exercise. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcrobaticDetective said:

Being Christian for almost half a century has left a mark on me. Easter was always my favorite religious holiday. As a nonbeliever, as they say, I'd like to find an alternative way to celebrate. I was thinking of following some of the older pagan traditions. I'm not interested in goddess worship (still an atheist).

Any ideas? What are some of your ex-Christian traditions?

Put on a rabbit suit and have my way with the little lady.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Shoot the Easter bunny and have fried rabbit for dinner.

• Haha 2

If you can see the east or west horizon, marking the positions of sunrise or sunset as they head north across due east and west on the day of the equinox is one way to tune in to the fertility meaning of Easter as celebrating the annual victory of life over death in spring. 

• Like 1

Hopefully with lots of chocolate 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

At my age I celebrate every day. Easter is just another Sunday, and the only meaning Sunday has for me is it's the day I do a radio net. Now, AFTER Easter, the chocolate goodies go on sale!!!

• Like 1

Isn't Easter a pagan tradition?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AcrobaticDetective said:

Easter was always my favorite religious holiday. As a nonbeliever, as they say, I'd like to find an alternative way to celebrate. I was thinking of following some of the older pagan traditions. I'm not interested in goddess worship (still an atheist).

You might be interested in “atheopaganism”.   It’s about observing the natural cycles of the year in various ways, including pagan rituals, but without any supernatural beliefs or deities, male or female.  Worth looking into...

https://atheopaganism.wordpress.com/atheopaganism/

• Thanks 2

Eggs - fertility

Rabbits - fertility

Sunrise - pagan sun-worship

I had long understood the same to be true of Christmas..  pagan origins.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, alreadyGone said:

Isn't Easter a pagan tradition?

Yes, like pretty  much all Christian traditions.

A pagan chocolate tradition?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TABA said:

You might be interested in “atheopaganism”.   It’s about observing the natural cycles of the year in various ways, including pagan rituals, but without any supernatural beliefs or deities, male or female.  Worth looking into...

https://atheopaganism.wordpress.com/atheopaganism/

"Atheopagan" (or possibly "atheohei­ðin" for that Norse touch) is a very good description of my own relationship to paganism.  Bookmarked the site.

• Like 1

I dunno really. I like doing the egg hunt thing. Its fun to do with kids. But thats about it. And a family meal usually in which the family invokes the blessing of a blind, deaf, and impotent christ God while I watch on as their heads are bent in fervent obedience. 😉

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

I dunno really. I like doing the egg hunt thing. Its fun to do with kids. But thats about it. And a family meal usually in which the family invokes the blessing of a blind, deaf, and impotent christ God while I watch on as their heads are bent in fervent obedience. 😉

Praying over food. The delusional belief that words to a magical entity will make the food safer. Cause cooking and hygenie doesn't work does it?

3 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Praying over food. The delusional belief that words to a magical entity will make the food safer. Cause cooking and hygenie doesn't work does it?

Lol well I guess its just getting all the bases covered. Just in case somebody slipped some poison or covid in I'm gonna pray to my God to get rid of it right? 

Kinda brings up a question tho. What was it about blood in the new testament that they weren't allowed to eat? I've heard of blood pudding before. Doesn't sound like my kind of thing. But you can't really eat any meat without eating some amount of cooked blood. 

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

I've heard of blood pudding before. Doesn't sound like my kind of thing.

Blood pudding is a breakfast staple in the U.K. and Ireland and other parts of Europe.  It has a consistency similar to that of liver mush, which I grew up eating but never have liked.  I like blood pudding, though.  As you can imagine, a lot of religious wingnuts won't eat it because of the scripture.  Their loss.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Blood pudding is a breakfast staple in the U.K. and Ireland and other parts of Europe.  It has a consistency similar to that of liver mush, which I grew up eating but never have liked.  I like blood pudding, though.  As you can imagine, a lot of religious wingnuts won't eat it because of the scripture.  Their loss.

I LOVE Irish black pudding!  Along with white pudding and all the other Full Irish Breakfast stuff...

E6D4CB5F-F625-495F-B4FC-0460B2319C46.jpeg

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
4 minutes ago, TABA said:

I LOVE Irish black pudding!  Along with white pudding and all the other Full Irish Breakfast stuff...

Bangers and bacon are my favorites.  I like the American streaky bacon well enough; but if I had my 'druthers it'd be proper rashers.  Just the thing after a long night of single-handedly keeping the Guinness family in food and clothing.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Maybe that's how I'll celebrate Easter this year.  I know a place that carries rashers, bangers, and blood pudding.  Just need a few eggs and some baked beans and I'm set.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TABA said:

E6D4CB5F-F625-495F-B4FC-0460B2319C46.jpeg

That looks oddly similar to my keto breakfast at the Village Inn. Pick four. I get eggs and three different meats. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

HE LIVES finger puppets!!!

(Oriental Trading Co.)

he-lives-finger-puppets_36_4142.jpg

• Haha 1

Our Easter tradition is to drink red wine and sing along to the movie "Jesus Christ Superstar" which doesn't make sense unless you realize how subversive that film really is. Favorite points include the Judas POV, especially at the very end. Plus the music is killer. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

Easter?  Don't be silly.  Just an ordinary day made important by sadly delusional masses.

• Like 1