Jump to content

Like trying to reason with a toddler


Jackie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All, 

I've been ex-christian for about 13 years, I posted my exxtimony back around that time too, and have been an on and off lurker/occasional commenter ever since 😛

I have been enjoying reading the various discussions and debates, however I notice a theme whereby trying to reason with a religious person is like trying to reason with a toddler.. Ie it's impossible.. Lol And the more I think about arguing/debating xtian apologetics, the more I think it's like banging your head against a brick wall lol

It seems pointless in many ways to argue religion.. Like trying to argue about the existist of Santa or voldemort... However I also get why we do it... Not sure what the point of my post is, but anyways... Anyone have any thoughts? :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've ceased trying "to reason with"..  anyone, about anything.

 

The hard-won lesson I will take to my grave is that the surest way to waste the finite years/days/seconds we humans have in this life is to allow yourself to stumble into the position of trying to convince anyone of anything.

 

People see what they believe.

People see a god because they want one.

I know I did..  I was a fool.

 

When a human being wants a god to rule over their life, really what more do you need to know about them?

From there you already know that they don't want or much care about reality, and that they place little value on their own life.  They choose to believe in something and pattern their life on the basis of what they hope to be true.

 

Reality is what it is.

What I think or feel or what you choose to believe does not change what is.

Truth > faith.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
29 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I think it's worth a try to reason with someone; but know when to let it go and walk away.

Got it. I shall no longer attempt to reason with you.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
31 minutes ago, florduh said:

Got it. I shall no longer attempt to reason with you.

It's about time, diplodocus.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I think it's worth a try to reason with someone; but know when to let it go and walk away.

 

I may be over-estimating myself (wouldn't be the first time.. LMSAO), but I believe I've learned when to let it go: 

somewhere near the 'hello' point.

 

So much of the scope of natural human tendencies and behavioral traits is amplified and greatly aggravated by this new age of instant communication and digital connection. Everything wrong with human beings as a species is now laid bare for all to see.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 8:23 PM, Jackie said:

I have been enjoying reading the various discussions and debates, however I notice a theme whereby trying to reason with a religious person is like trying to reason with a toddler.. Ie it's impossible.. Lol And the more I think about arguing/debating xtian apologetics, the more I think it's like banging your head against a brick wall lol

I feel you. I ran out of energy trying to speak reason to delusional people a long time ago. That being said, I think there's value of making of example out of people by arguing them publicly and exposing them, like some of the folks do here in the Lion's Den. I really admire the energy they have to keep up the good fight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got an old buddy from church days that keeps wanting to contact me and chat over his life troubles, and possibly move in for a while. His is the most convoluted irrational thinking I've ever encountered, and to him it is "deep wisdom of God". Example: When he was a child playing in the yard with his sister, she tossed him a toy pistol so he could act like a cowboy TV star. It hit him in the eye and blinded him. Over the years of being indoctrinated, he turned this unfortunate event into "Jesus saw the pride in my heart, wanting to be like a tough cowboy star, and in his mercy destroyed that pride and made me face years of rejection so I could become a faithful servant."

 

It is more than irrational, it is watching a human capitulate to an abuser and call it the greatest love ever shown. Christianity pretends to be love while being pernicious evil. Happily the abuser doesn't really exist, but the cult is expert at manipulating emotions so that millions believe he is there and hates/loves them and they so deserve to be burned alive by the god who is love. Insane. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Fuego said:

I've got an old buddy from church days that keeps wanting to contact me and chat over his life troubles, and possibly move in for a while. His is the most convoluted irrational thinking I've ever encountered, and to him it is "deep wisdom of God". Example: When he was a child playing in the yard with his sister, she tossed him a toy pistol so he could act like a cowboy TV star. It hit him in the eye and blinded him. Over the years of being indoctrinated, he turned this unfortunate event into "Jesus saw the pride in my heart, wanting to be like a tough cowboy star, and in his mercy destroyed that pride and made me face years of rejection so I could become a faithful servant."

 

It is more than irrational, it is watching a human capitulate to an abuser and call it the greatest love ever shown. Christianity pretends to be love while being pernicious evil. Happily the abuser doesn't really exist, but the cult is expert at manipulating emotions so that millions believe he is there and hates/loves them and they so deserve to be burned alive by the god who is love. Insane. 

 

 

When's he moving in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, midniterider said:

When's he moving in?

 

Three guesses... I stopped responding to his phone calls and voicemails. We stopped having anything in common when I deconverted. He is stuck in the past, craving the fun times we had with a small group of friends. His recent posts on FB have been all political mockery (which he assumes I enjoy and agree with), and making up song lyrics to go with the mockery. Nope. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, Fuego said:

His recent posts on FB have been all political mockery (which he assumes I enjoy and agree with), and making up song lyrics to go with the mockery.

 
One good thing about Facebook is you can Unfollow somebody without un-friending them.  You don’t see their posts - and they don’t know.   But you can still get in touch if you need to. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TABA said:

One good thing about Facebook is you can Unfollow somebody

Yep, did that long ago. I check in every year or so just to see what he is up to.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have come to admore the mind's ability to make stuff up. You get great art and science and philosophy but also Scientology. It seems to me like a package deal :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.