Goodbye Jesus

Symbolism of Freedom.

Cracked

It has been a long time since I have posted anything on ExChristian.net but I thought of you guys when searching for a certain symbol. Symbolism is important to me. I can't seem to find any universal ancient symbols that represent Freedom. Does anyone here have any suggestions on where I could direct my search?

To the mods please feel free to place this question in any section that is proper. 

Thank you
Craqued

My first thought:  A soaring bird (something like an eagle rather than a dove or other small bird).

Second thought:  Broken chains and shackles lying in a pile.

No ancient symbols spring to mind at the moment.

• Like 1

@Astreja In one search I found an eagle or a falcon. I would think that with all the symbology in the world there would be a more universal symbol of Freedom and more of them. Interesting. Thanks for the input and if anyone else has anything else please insert what knowledge you have. 

Thank you.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Cracked said:

@Astreja In one search I found an eagle or a falcon. I would think that with all the symbology in the world there would be a more universal symbol of Freedom and more of them. Interesting. Thanks for the input and if anyone else has anything else please insert what knowledge you have. 

Thank you.

I think the issue might be that it is nearly impossible to find a universal definition of the term "freedom."  As a result, what might have symbolized freedom to the ancient Chinese might have symbolized enough to eat for their Innuit counterparts.  Broken chains, though, is a more modern symbol.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

d5aae774495373819a796f1250503123.jpg

• Like 1

A universal symbol.........

Hands Broken Chains HD Stock Images | Shutterstock

• Like 1

This is a depiction of  the symbol of freedom of the Greeks in Athens about 300 BC. For instance Sparta, at that time, had a great many slaves it captured by wars, but Athens had few. Sparta took many Athenian citizens as slaves in its wars against Athens.

This symbol stands for -- give us freedom or death, nothing in between -- Similar to Patrick Henry's U.S.  saying  "give me liberty or give me death." Freedom was the circle, flags and cross on top, and death was the coffin and X below it. Similar versions of this emblem were used by the Greeks against the Ottomans in their war of independence circa 1820.

Philiki.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 11:33 AM, pantheory said:

This is a depiction of  the symbol of freedom of the Greeks in Athens about 300 BC. For instance Sparta, at that time, had a great many slaves it captured by wars, but Athens had few. Sparta took many Athenian citizens as slaves in its wars against Athens.

This symbol stands for -- give us freedom or death, nothing in between -- Similar to Patrick Henry's U.S.  saying  "give me liberty or give me death." Freedom was the circle, flags and cross on top, and death was the coffin and X below it. Similar versions of this emblem were used by the Greeks against the Ottomans in their war of independence circa 1820.

Philiki.jpg

That is from the passport of the Filiki Eteria from the 1800's.   Is there an ancient example?

mwc

• Like 1

yp1WyNA.jpg85542q00.jpg

In Greco-Roman societies this hat, the pileus (sp?), was associated with freedom.  The sort of freedom that is conveyed was to freed slaves.  In Rome was something that they wear in the ceremony of manumission.  The personification of liberty, a woman known as Libertas or Liberty (same as the Statue of Liberty), could be seen holding this hat in some images on things (such as coins).  Also, during this ceremony they used a rod, whose name I cannot recall, and that was also a symbol of freedom (which I believe is also shown on the coin above along with the Libertas and the hat).  Here's a link to the coin since it has a bit more detail about it specifically.

mwc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mwc said:

That is from the passport of the Filiki Eteria from the 1800's.   Is there an ancient example?

mwc

From what I read in my research, the ancient Greet symbol was a similar depiction of freedom, but they gave just one example of it. the one that I posted.

10 hours ago, pantheory said:

From what I read in my research, the ancient Greet symbol was a similar depiction of freedom, but they gave just one example of it. the one that I posted.

Ah, that's disappointing.  I would have enjoyed seeing an earlier version.

mwc