Goodbye Jesus

Kept Mom from wading into minefield; led her into different minefield

Krowb

As we were getting ready to leave her house yesterday she asked if she should get involved.  I asked "involved in what" and she proceeded to tell me one of my cousins had posted on social media celebrating pride month.  A few fundamentalists were assaulting my cousin for condoning and celebrating "sin".  They were met with severe and swift pushback from most everyone.  My sweet mother wanted to post something along the lines of "the more you speak the Truth, the more people will attack you for it" supporting the anti-gay posters.

I asked her what her clothes were made from as well as why she was wearing men's clothing (jeans & t-shirt).  She knew nothing of the prohibition on mixed fabrics (Leviticus 19:19) and men's clothing (Deuteronomy 22:5) in the Old Testament.  If those don't apply because they're only in the OT, then . . . where is the prohibition of homosexuality in the NT?  Left her thoroughly confused.  She did not post anything on my cousin's timeline.

• Like 3

Not to mention the flat earth and talking donkeys.

"The more you speak the truth, the more people will attack you for it...." 

Isn't the truth self-evident? Religious indoctrination, on the other hand needs to be repeated and reinforced at least weekly because bs is easily forgotten otherwise. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 8:23 PM, midniterider said:

Not to mention the flat earth and talking donkeys.

"The more you speak the truth, the more people will attack you for it...." 

Isn't the truth self-evident? Religious indoctrination, on the other hand needs to be repeated and reinforced at least weekly because bs is easily forgotten otherwise. 

No, truth is not self evident. Not at all. If ut was, science would be useless, debate would be useless, trials would be useless, police investigion useless, lots of therapy, useless. Truth is hard to define, hard to get. Our perception are failible, our thougts as well. Our memory as well. 

A lot of our "self evident truths" are just unexamined assumptions.

Sorry, I could n't disagree more with a statement than "Truth is self evident". I think it is wrong philosophically, scientifically, psychologically and any another eay and a very dangerous position to hold, that actually stifles gathering and testing knowledge, produces arrogance and oppresion. 

I actually think truth seeking and observation is harder to educate and takes more effort than indoctrination. To teach and learn.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:32 PM, Krowb said:

As we were getting ready to leave her house yesterday she asked if she should get involved.  I asked "involved in what" and she proceeded to tell me one of my cousins had posted on social media celebrating pride month.  A few fundamentalists were assaulting my cousin for condoning and celebrating "sin".  They were met with severe and swift pushback from most everyone.  My sweet mother wanted to post something along the lines of "the more you speak the Truth, the more people will attack you for it" supporting the anti-gay posters.

I asked her what her clothes were made from as well as why she was wearing men's clothing (jeans & t-shirt).  She knew nothing of the prohibition on mixed fabrics (Leviticus 19:19) and men's clothing (Deuteronomy 22:5) in the Old Testament.  If those don't apply because they're only in the OT, then . . . where is the prohibition of homosexuality in the NT?  Left her thoroughly confused.  She did not post anything on my cousin's timeline.

That is easy to explain. Paul's admonition in Romans. For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

But in that case, the more you speak against a group's ideology, the more you will be attacked by that group. It is not about truth and lies it seems to me. :) If you go in a mosque and start cursing Muhammad expect pushback. Or death if you are in Saudi Arabia.

7 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

No, truth is not self evident. Not at all. If ut was, science would be useless, debate would be useless, trials would be useless, police investigion useless, lots of therapy, useless. Truth is hard to define, hard to get. Our perception are failible, our thougts as well. Our memory as well. 

A lot of our "self evident truths" are just unexamined assumptions.

Sorry, I could n't disagree more with a statement than "Truth is self evident". I think it is wrong philosophically, scientifically, psychologically and any another eay and a very dangerous position to hold, that actually stifles gathering and testing knowledge, produces arrogance and oppresion. 

I actually think truth seeking and observation is harder to educate and takes more effort than indoctrination. To teach and learn.

With respect to this comment: " My sweet mother wanted to post something along the lines of "the more you speak the Truth, the more people will attack you for it" supporting the anti-gay posters."

Jesus (Way, Truth, Life - according to Christians) ought to be obvious (imo) and not something you have to search for, look up in a book, or have faith in.  

So you took my comment out of context and applied it as a universal claim (I do that sometimes, lol).  God should either be as obvious (self-evident) as my chihuahua, my kitchen, or anything else that is generally accepted as existing in everyday life and for practical purposes. Or people are just wasting time. 

Sometimes truth is hidden. Is God hidden? Will we find him? I bet we dont. Other times truth is obvious. The truth of the existence of the stop sign at the corner of my street is undeniable. It's there. I've seen it, touched it. And so have others. Maybe other people are imaginary? Maybe the fact that the stop sign and well, all matter is mostly empty space between the electron and the nucleus leads to a conclusion that nothing is real at all. Maybe all is illusion. All is false. :)

3 hours ago, midniterider said:

With respect to this comment: " My sweet mother wanted to post something along the lines of "the more you speak the Truth, the more people will attack you for it" supporting the anti-gay posters."

Jesus (Way, Truth, Life - according to Christians) ought to be obvious (imo) and not something you have to search for, look up in a book, or have faith in.  

So you took my comment out of context and applied it as a universal claim (I do that sometimes, lol).  God should either be as obvious (self-evident) as my chihuahua, my kitchen, or anything else that is generally accepted as existing in everyday life and for practical purposes. Or people are just wasting time. 

Sorry, I actually thought you made an universal claim. :) That is why dialogue us good. I agree and think divine hiddenness is a nonsense argument.

3 hours ago, midniterider said:

Sometimes truth is hidden. Is God hidden? Will we find him? I bet we dont. Other times truth is obvious. The truth of the existence of the stop sign at the corner of my street is undeniable. It's there. I've seen it, touched it. And so have others. Maybe other people are imaginary? Maybe the fact that the stop sign and well, all matter is mostly empty space between the electron and the nucleus leads to a conclusion that nothing is real at all. Maybe all is illusion. All is false. :)

Another subject for another time, brother.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, Krowb said:

Very clever way of handling it!!!