Goodbye Jesus

Semmelweis Reflex

SemmelweisReflex

Just now, SemmelweisReflex said:

Your own way. Your way for you and my way for me. 

Why?

40 minutes ago, Astreja said:

IMO, the Bible is an anthology of fiction.  Given such obvious mythological tropes as 40-year road trips that never happened, a virgin birth, people coming back to life, a boat full of animals surviving a 40-day downpour and a Talking Snake™, I'm always baffled as to why adults take it seriously.

And yet, here you are. 

• Super Moderator
4 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

Your own way. Your way for you and my way for me. 

Well this is obviously another of your lies; because if I interpret the Bible as a mythical pile of bronze-age horseshit, you will immediately jump to calling me an idiot for not agreeing with your personal interpretation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

And yet, here you are. 

No @SemmelweisReflex here you are. You stepped inside our community remember?

39 minutes ago, WalterP said:

Why?

Because the alternative is some other's way instead of your own and even that would amount to your own way. If you delegate, it remains your choice. Like the song says "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice." 

16 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

No @SemmelweisReflex here you are. You stepped inside our community remember?

I stepped inside a community. A public community not a gated community. If your community challenges someone else's beliefs don't be surprised when that someone shows up on your doorstep. 

40 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

And yet, here you are. 

Yes.  Here I am, because it's positively exhilarating to discuss with like-minded people the ongoing adventure of trying to liberate our fellow travellers from stupid, archaic ideas that have set humanity back many hundreds of years.  I joined this site in 2004, and I intend to stick around.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
3 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

If your community challenges someone else's beliefs don't be surprised when that someone shows up on your doorstep. 

We didn't "challenge your beliefs".  We merely existed, as we have for many years.  You showed up on our doorstep, uninvited, and began making unfounded assertions.  We challenge those; but, ultimately, none of really care about your beliefs.  We don't share them and you're too insecure to accept that.  But none of us really care if you believe in jesus, vishnu, FSM, or the invisible pink unicorn. 

You should quit trying to twist the narrative.  It's dishonest.

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Well this is obviously another of your lies; because if I interpret the Bible as a mythical pile of bronze-age horseshit, you will immediately jump to calling me an idiot for not agreeing with your personal interpretation.

No,  I will immediately jump to calling you an idiot after you call me a fucknut; for disagreeing with my personal interpretation without having demonstrated a valid reason for doing so and while not supplying your own I tend to ignore you. Your objection is disingenuous sociopolitical propaganda.   

24 minutes ago, Astreja said:

Yes.  Here I am, because it's positively exhilarating to discuss with like-minded people the ongoing adventure of trying to liberate our fellow travellers from stupid, archaic ideas that have set humanity back many hundreds of years. 

Really? Show me those posts. I have only seen the people on this forum protest my stupid, archaic ideas without any valid demonstration as to why you should feel compelled to do that or offering any alternative ideas. 

I think you like to think you are helping people while not having the insight to see you are only hurting yourself. Like I said, I think you people really like a good pat on the back by your group members.  

This one likes big words.

@SemmelweisReflex, how about my question regarding your position that god answered your prayer when you prayed the correct way.  I think we'd all like a shot at that to determine the truth of it.

As stated, another poster said we needed years of Catholic monasticism to experience god.  You did it with a prayer.  What's the method?

3 hours ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

If you need me to show you where it was written then you need to study more. Job 14 and 19 to get you started and remember, they didn't have the chapter and verse you repeatedly cry out for. 

What's your deal semmelweis? The point wasnt to look scriptures up to counter you. I told you to begin with I wasn't going to defend a Christian doctrine against a JW doctrine. 

If you can use those two chapters in JOB. (Which BTW I just read. Thank you for your biblical references.) I could too. I can set here and show you in Daniel and Isaiah where I once viewed there was scripture for a resurrection. Me and my church believed the body and soul stayed in the ground until the last day. Then the resurrection came. I can show you scripture for all the reasons we believed that. And honestly they were correct in their interpretations. 

3 hours ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

the Bible isn't a paper written by one person. It's a collection of 66 books written by over 40 different authors over a period of hundreds of years.

This is exactly why the JW and My old church have scripture to support their interpretations. It is because the views of the people writing the books changed over the course of 1000s of years. Not hundreds. (And it was way more than 40 people)

They all wrote down their own beliefs and their leaders beliefs as they changed. Their are arleast 4 different authors that wrote the first 5 books of the Bible. And non of them were Moses as is the popular belief. They label the authors only as E,D,P, and J

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_Torah

"In the mid-18th century, some scholars started a critical study of doublets (parallel accounts of the same incidents), inconsistencies, and changes in style and vocabulary in the Torah.[1] In 1780 Johann Eichhorn, building on the work of the French doctor and exegete Jean Astruc's "Conjectures" and others, formulated the "older documentary hypothesis": the idea that Genesis was composed by combining two identifiable sources, the Jehovist ("J"; also called the Yahwist) and the Elohist ("E").[86] These sources were subsequently found to run through the first four books of the Torah, and the number was later expanded to three when Wilhelm de Wette identified the Deuteronomist as an additional source found only in Deuteronomy ("D").[87] Later still the Elohist was split into Elohist and Priestly ("P") sources, increasing the number to four.[88]"

There is no concrete archeological evidence that the exodus ever happened. If there were in fact an exodus on the scale the Bible portrays. There would be a scar of evidence embedded in the very soil of the earth where 2 million people and their livestock wandered the desert for 40 years. It just didn't happen. We can find where an Indian dug a shit hole in America but the can't find where 2 million people lived in the desert. Come on semmelweis. Think about it. It starts becoming common sense at this point.

The only thing the Bible accurately records is the fact that the Jewish and Christian beliefs changed over time and those changes are all reflected in the scripture. Which makes it the most confusing book supposedly written by a God who is not the author of confusion. 

It does say there is an immortal soul

It does say there isn't an immortal soul

It says there is a hell

And it doesn't 

It reflects a pantheon in places

And it doesn't in others

It says we are going straight to heaven at death

And it says we stay in the grave till resurrection. 

It says gods kingdom will be in heaven

It says it will be on earth

And it also says it will only be in us and neither earth or heaven.

And guess what @SemmelweisReflex it even has scripture to support your bullshit.

But it also has scripture that counters your bullshit.

It says all those things and more I could go through and find scripture to support them. 

But I'm not. It's the very fact that I can do that that gives me just one more reason not to believe any of it.

• Super Moderator
7 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

No,  I will immediately jump to calling you an idiot after you call me a fucknut; for disagreeing with my personal interpretation without having demonstrated a valid reason for doing so and while not supplying your own tend to ignore you. Your objection is disingenuous sociopolitical propaganda.   

I am under no obligation to give you a reason for disagreeing with your position; nor am I under any obligation to provide my own opinion to counter yours.  I disagree; end of story.  If you're not emotionally mature enough to handle that, that's not my problem. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

I stepped inside a community. A public community not a gated community. If your community challenges someone else's beliefs don't be surprised when that someone shows up on your doorstep. 

Listen to yourself. Again. EVERY RELIGION counters our beliefs. Yet you don't see us in your churches do you? You are the pushy asshole trying to shove unfounded horseshit interpretations down our throat. And your mad that we know more than you do and can't agree with you. 

Like a baby

Wahhhh!!! wahhh!!!! mommy! mommy! they told me I was wrong. 😢 

45 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Listen to yourself. Again. EVERY RELIGION counters our beliefs. Yet you don't see us in your churches do you? You are the pushy asshole trying to shove unfounded horseshit interpretations down our throat. And your mad that we know more than you do and can't agree with you. 

Like a baby

Wahhhh!!! wahhh!!!! mommy! mommy! they told me I was wrong. 😢 

Almost ready . . . soon we move on to phase 3. 

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I am under no obligation to give you a reason for disagreeing with your position; nor am I under any obligation to provide my own opinion to counter yours.  I disagree; end of story.  If you're not emotionally mature enough to handle that, that's not my problem. 

I've repeatedly told you that your disagreement is fine with me. Why are you all so insistent that my beliefs are a threat to you. That I'm trying to force something upon you. If you don't like it change the channel. If you don't want alternative opinions state that in your forum rules. 

• Super Moderator
1 minute ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

Why are you all so insistent that my beliefs are a threat to you.

None of us are.  Becsuse they are not.

2 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

If you don't want alternative opinions state that in your forum rules. 

Alternative opinions are fine, when they are supported.  Baseless claims are not.

1 hour ago, DarkBishop said:

And guess what @SemmelweisReflex it even has scripture to support your bullshit.

But it also has scripture that counters your bullshit.

And that's great! That's what I like to see. Listen . . . why are you so angry? Think about it. Is it the "demons" in my head or is it the "demons" in yours.

Just now, TheRedneckProfessor said:

None of us are.  Becsuse they are not.

You've stated directly that they were a threat to people here who have newly removed themselves from the Christian faith!

Just now, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Alternative opinions are fine, when they are supported.  Baseless claims are not.

The only alternative opinions, supported or not, are allowed only in the Lion's Den. 

Since I was a kid I've marveled at the hypocrisy of "Christians." This is why I repeat to you, "Once a "Christian" always a Christian."

I am only your latest plaid shirt, dude. You haven't learned anything. You haven't changed. 

• Super Moderator
3 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

You've stated directly that they were a threat to people here who have newly removed themselves from the Christian faith!

The only alternative opinions, supported or not, are allowed only in the Lion's Den. 

I'm glad you're finally starting to understand.

28 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

And that's great! That's what I like to see. Listen . . . why are you so angry? Think about it. Is it the "demons" in my head or is it the "demons" in yours.

Demons don't exist

2 hours ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

Well, we kind of enjoy it when believers come to visit. I wouldnt call the existence of a website a challenge to someone else's belief, though. Unless I held some strange notion that my beliefs were a one-size-fits-all kinda deal. 

• Super Moderator
38 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

Why are you so obsessed with telling us your opinion anyway?  Didn't you claim that you were here to hear our side of the story?  Only now you're saying that you showed up on our doorstep because we challenged your beliefs.  So which is it?

• Super Moderator
40 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

You haven't learned anything. You haven't changed. 

You do not know me, so you, quite obviously, have no idea if, how, or how much, I have changed.  Yet another unfounded assertion (lie) from you.

• Super Moderator
43 minutes ago, SemmelweisReflex said:

Which doesn't apply to the majority of us here in The Den.  Most of us deconverted long before the better part of you dribbled down your mama's leg.  You're no threat to us.  In fact, you help our cause more than you could possibly imagine. 

That's why you're allowed here but not in other forums.  Same reason they won't let you bring vodka to the AA meeting.  

• Haha 1