Goodbye Jesus

Believers, what's your excuse?

florduh

• Super Moderator

Jesus walked on water, healed the blind, cured diseases and turned water into wine among other cool things. Then he says this:

John 14:12-14
New International Version

12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

So why aren't Christians doing any such miracles? What is the excuse for a believer who can't move mountains or raise the dead? With the more than 2 billion believers we have we never hear about even one of them doing such things, and they ALL should be doing it.

What gives, Christians? It's your book, your savior's words, so it's a reasonable question. Any answers?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mythology meets reality.  The rubber meets the road.

• Like 1

1) None of them truly believe, so none of them can do what the bible claims????

2) Or believing doesn't make a difference and no one can actually do what the bible claims you can do by simply believing????

• Super Moderator

Come on, Christians. Defend yourselves!

• Thanks 1

Back in the day they believed people could be healed by just being in Peter's shadow. Some good ole laying on of hands and anointing in oil healing shouldn't be to hard for a true believer. 

According to the Bible that is. 😉

It was a mistranslation, Florduh. 

You took that out of context, Florduh.

*New excuse for 2021* - "That scripture is not particularly compelling for me, Florduh ..."

You didnt exegete it or hermeneut it correctly, Florduh. 

/s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator

That verse doesn't mean what it says.  jesus was being metaphorical.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joshpantera said:

1) None of them truly believe, so none of them can do what the bible claims????

Ah, but how could they consider themselves “believers” then?  All it takes is a faith the size of a mustard seed (Matt 17:20)

• Haha 1

I wonder if Jesus could heal people suffering from the effects of... xenotropic murine leukemia virus related viruses or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis?

?

• Haha 1

Don't forget all those snakes that need handling.

20140226_113914_Kentucky-Snake-Handlers.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

About those snakes... I always gave them credit for at least walking the walk and putting their life on the line for a belief. They're stupid, but still...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, florduh said:

About those snakes... I always gave them credit for at least walking the walk and putting their life on the line for a belief. They're stupid, but still...

But would you give them credit for carrying out the toxic part of Mark 16 : 18?

...they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

Kool-Aid, anybody?

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, WalterP said:

But would you give them credit for carrying out the toxic part of Mark 16 : 18?

...they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

Kool-Aid, anybody?

I'd say if you see people dying from snake bites and the sick remaining sick and after all the other failed promises you still drink poison, it must be Darwin Day.

• Like 1

In all the examples of snake-handling among the devout, I never hear of the female believers petting a rattlesnake.

• Super Moderator
52 minutes ago, alreadyGone said:

In all the examples of snake-handling among the devout, I never hear of the female believers petting a rattlesnake.

Perhaps this is why... https://www.thedailybeast.com/alabama-snake-the-appalachian-preacher-who-tried-to-murder-his-wife-via-snake-bite

On 6/11/2021 at 5:00 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

That verse doesn't mean what it says.  jesus was being metaphorical.  

I honest to God heard that explanation about moving the mountain. Maybe he was. I kran, The NT makes hard to know when he is literal and when metaphorical. The Jews of his time were confused. Remember the born again part?

• Super Moderator
7 minutes ago, Myrkhoos said:

I honest to God heard that explanation about moving the mountain. Maybe he was. I kran, The NT makes hard to know when he is literal and when metaphorical. The Jews of his time were confused. Remember the born again part?

The thing is, that explanation can be used for anything that the believer finds confusing, uncomfortable, or just disagreeable.  Homosexuality?  Definitely literal.  But eating shellfish?  Nah, he didn't mean that.  Beating slaves?  Sure.  Giving to the poor?  Metaphor.

It's almost like personal interpretation trumps everything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
8 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

It's almost like personal interpretation trumps everything. 

This seems a special instance to me since Jesus himself directly gave a final parting message of promise to his believers that specifically outlined the magical powers they would wield - powers even greater than his own. There is nothing more clear in the Bible.

Perhaps if the Christians seeing this can't/won't answer at least they might give it some thought.

Crickets...

2 hours ago, florduh said:

This seems a special instance to me since Jesus himself directly gave a final parting message of promise to his believers that specifically outlined the magical powers they would wield - powers even greater than his own. There is nothing more clear in the Bible.

Perhaps if the Christians seeing this can't/won't answer at least they might give it some thought.

Crickets...

The character Jesus "said" this.  It is a literary device invented by the author/editor/scribe/translator.

The authors of the Abrahamic religions' scriptures certainly had their literary moments, but given the number of authors, the different times and locations in which they wrote, the subsequent redactions/editing/removals/insertions/replacements of certain text, the forced effects of translations, the natural effects of language shift, etc., I claim that the entire drama entered the realm of mythology quite some time ago.

The authors of the Abrahamic religions, for the most part, were writers of fantasy/fiction, pretenders, midrash addicts, perhaps grifters, none of whom would admit or reveal they were so.

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
5 minutes ago, sdelsolray said:

The character Jesus "said" this.  It is a literary device invented by the author/editor/scribe/translator.

The authors of the Abrahamic religions' scriptures certainly had their literary moments, but given the number of authors, the different times and locations in which they wrote, the subsequent redactions/editing/removals/insertions/replacements of certain text, the forced effects of translations, the natural effects of language shift, etc., I claim that the entire drama entered the realm of mythology quite some time ago.

The authors of the Abrahamic religions, for the most part, were writers of fantasy/fiction, pretenders, midrash addicts, perhaps grifters, none of whom would admit or reveal they were so.

Yes, of course, but Christians believe it, often word for word, yet fail to see the failure. That's what I'm trying to get at. I want a believer to explain why the promise Jesus gave them hasn't produced any results in more than two thousand years and among more than two billion Christians.

14 minutes ago, florduh said:

Yes, of course, but Christians believe it, often word for word, yet fail to see the failure. That's what I'm trying to get at. I want a believer to explain why the promise Jesus gave them hasn't produced any results in more than two thousand years and among more than two billion Christians.

Religious indoctrination often runs long and deep.  Still, it is what it is.  It's actually quite sad, and pathetic...both at the same time.

On 6/11/2021 at 9:14 PM, Joshpantera said:

@Edgarcito

@Thumbelina

@SemmelweisReflex

What gives? 

*crickets*

Ah the hypocrisy....captain spiritual is now on the boat that literally sinks or floats.  "Please hush" as my dear grandmother would say.

Let me rephrase this in a more polite tone:

Josh, I don't understand, when it's you wishing to me metaphorical, anecdotal, non-literal, it's okay.  But when it's a Christian, you need answers?  Would you please explain?

On 6/10/2021 at 5:37 PM, florduh said:

Jesus walked on water, healed the blind, cured diseases and turned water into wine among other cool things. Then he says this:

John 14:12-14
New International Version

12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

So why aren't Christians doing any such miracles? What is the excuse for a believer who can't move mountains or raise the dead? With the more than 2 billion believers we have we never hear about even one of them doing such things, and they ALL should be doing it.

What gives, Christians? It's your book, your savior's words, so it's a reasonable question. Any answers?

@Edgarcito

Josh was tagging you to reply to the OP. I quoted it above for your convenience. Do you have the power to heal the sick and blind sir? Have you ever seen it done? Why can't we see Christians doing this today? In my time as a Christian I saw many people prayed over and anointed in oil. Yet no real miracles. Closest I saw was a man that went off his meds and he got better. But that was because the doctors had him on a bad mixture. He then later divorced his wife and quickly married another woman..... hmmmm guess he may have been closer to the Lord in her bed..... who knows 🤣

5 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

@Edgarcito

Josh was tagging you to reply to the OP. I quoted it above for your convenience. Do you have the power to heal the sick and blind sir? Have you ever seen it done? Why can't we see Christians doing this today? In my time as a Christian I saw many people prayed over and anointed in oil. Yet no real miracles. Closest I saw was a man that went off his meds and he got better. But that was because the doctors had him on a bad mixture. He then later divorced his wife and quickly married another woman..... hmmmm guess he may have been closer to the Lord in her bed..... who knows 🤣

You know I am a subpar Christian DB, so my miracle powers are not up to Jesus level.  I've felt I could kill folks before, but never bring them back to life....

• Haha 1