I Realised Something

1 hour ago, SeaJay said:

Trying to think logically about it. 

Exactly, keep it up 😀

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SeaJay said:

Thanks both. I’m feeling a bit better after rationalising it and reading both your posts. 

The funny thing is (and cutting a long story short), knowing what I know about this friend, if anyone was going to knock my door and tell me they had a message for me - it would definitely be this friend. But not only did they say nothing of the sort, they said things that sounded to me, just plain wrong. 

Also, I think to myself, if this was a sign:

(a) I admitted to myself that Christianity probably isn’t true, 11 days ago, so why did I have to wait so long, why not 10 minutes after I admitted it, or even two or three days later? The timing doesn’t really make sense, unless it’s nothing but a coincidence

(b) I’m utterly convinced that a supreme creator of the universe could let me know in no uncertain terms that I was wrong; I know they could do a much better job than that (and I’m not even trying to be remotely sarcastic or disrespectful in saying that). So what my friend said (and didn’t say) also doesn’t make much sense, unless it’s nothing but a coincidence. 

Trying to think logically about it. 

Yeah. 

Plus, let's say all current scientific theories are wrong ( incomplete, biased , etc any definition of wrong) . Evolution is wrong, quantum physics, germ theory of disease. So? That is WONDERFUL news for science. It means you can get to new, better models. Proving "science" wrong is what science does. :)

.      And the fact that he came to you. You were a Christian, with Christian friends in a predominant christian country. Running into a Christian telling how Christianity is true is not THAT impressive :))

• Like 1

I think this question got lost in the Edit I added after it. I thought I’d repost it here as it’s very relevant. 

When you left the faith, did you worry that you were seeing  signs, or, being communicated with in some way, to show that you were wrong?

I have this anxiety that it might be happening now and then.”

1 hour ago, SeaJay said:

"When you left the faith, did you worry that you were seeing  signs, or, being communicated with in some way, to show that you were wrong?

Hi Seajay

Good to see you are still around and questioning. 

I did have a little bit of this, but as I studied further into how the brain works, and how easily we can deceive ourselves by interpreting random events as "signs" I realized it was just my Christian upbringing and indoctrination working on my mind. 

You might find this is happening to you? It's mainly a fear response in reaction to a perceived threat I.e. what if you're wrong?

12 hours ago, SeaJay said:

I think this question got lost in the Edit I added after it. I thought I’d repost it here as it’s very relevant. 

When you left the faith, did you worry that you were seeing  signs, or, being communicated with in some way, to show that you were wrong?

I had the opposite of this. I prayed for a sign I was wrong but I was very specific about the prayer. I wanted it to be undeniable that it was a sign from the Almighty himself. 

It didn't happen. 

A sign from God couldn't be passed off as a coincidence. He supposedly walked on water as Jesus. Led the children of isreal by a pillar of fire and a pillar of smoke, blasted away two cities and turned people into salt. 

If he can do that. He should be able to give all his followers proof of his existence and he can't. Bc he's not there

Thanks both, that’s really helpful and eases my anxiety a bit. It’s odd that I can’t really think like this. I’m trying but I’m either not capable or, if it’s just a case of still learning, then I have been learning for years and still can’t seem to do it. Sometimes it’s like I’m a child who needs comforting or tutoring or something. Perhaps it’s a case of I can and do think this way, but I need to hear it from another person to confirm my own conclusions (so reassurance then). Is it called critical thinking? 

• Super Moderator

@SeaJay, it's okay to trust yourself.  Truth rings true; and our minds are designed to recognize that.  If something causes so much doubt and confusion, it's not likely to be true; and it is perfectly fine to ignore that topic until/unless further evidence presents itself.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

@SeaJay, it's okay to trust yourself.  Truth rings true; and our minds are designed to recognize that.  If something causes so much doubt and confusion, it's not likely to be true; and it is perfectly fine to ignore that topic until/unless further evidence presents itself.

Like a gut instinct