Jump to content

Christianity is collapsing


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, midniterider said:

 

Well thats good news 😀 maybe I will live to see religion take a back seat in our society. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know.  It seems the proportions of nutters/kooks and schemers/grifters within many Christian denominations is increasing.  They may even take over many sects of that religion.  Yes, there are now fewer Christians, but the ones that remain or join...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
8 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

I don't know.  It seems the proportions of nutters/kooks and schemers/grifters within many Christian denominations is increasing.  They may even take over many sects of that religion.  Yes, there are now fewer Christians, but the ones that remain or join...

It's always the extremists that get noticed. I've no clue how it really is but I hope they continue to dwindle in numbers and calm the fuck down and learn to live with others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
12 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

 

Well thats good news 😀 maybe I will live to see religion take a back seat in our society. 

Religion is a virus; and christianity is a particularly virulent strain.  Viruses mutate to maintain survival; and can often become something completely unrecognizable compared to the original wild type.  Christianity will also mutate to survive and attempt to remain relavant; and could even become more virulent than its current forms.  I hope not.  The only solution is herd immunity and that comes as a result of mental vaccination. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Religion is a virus; and christianity is a particularly virulent strain.  Viruses mutate to maintain survival; and can often become something completely unrecognizable compared to the original wild type.  Christianity will also mutate to survive and attempt to remain relavant; and could even become more virulent than its current forms.  I hope not.  The only solution is herd immunity and that comes as a result of mental vaccination. 

Yes, a mental vaccination! If only.

 

Christianity has many mutations already, and it's spawning more every day. Most splinter groups die out, but strains like the Prosperity Gospel are enjoying a resurgence. Republican Jesus really qualifies as a separate religion as its tenets run counter to the teachings of the Jesus character in the Bible. Of course the snake handlers are dying off, not surprisingly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
4 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

 

But what about Christianity's darker, more oppressive and violent cousin... Islam?

 

It may not be growing very fast in the US, but here in Europe... ?

 

:(

 

 

 

In every other respect Islam always lags a few hundred years behind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, florduh said:

 

In every other respect Islam always lags a few hundred years behind.

 

Agree. I'd arrived at that conclusion too.

 

But that's not really a comforting thought...  ...having to wait a couple of centuries for Islam to begin collapsing as Christianity is doing now.

 

Before the collapse it'll become as all pervasive, intrusive and controlling as Christianity was in 18th and 19th century Europe?

 

(Shudders at the thought.)

 

😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
20 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Religion is a virus; and christianity is a particularly virulent strain.  Viruses mutate to maintain survival; and can often become something completely unrecognizable compared to the original wild type.  Christianity will also mutate to survive and attempt to remain relavant; and could even become more virulent than its current forms.  I hope not.  The only solution is herd immunity and that comes as a result of mental vaccination. 

 

That's exactly what I see when these apologists show up with some new insight. The double-slit, quantum jesus is a good example of a viral mutation. Trying to mutant to survive and remain relevant in the modern world through the mind of that particular adherent. And trying to branch out and affect the minds of others if it were possible....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
On 7/20/2021 at 9:34 PM, midniterider said:

 

The article is very interesting. It's not surprising to see the declines that have happened between the start of this century and now. The declines fall in line with the technological rise in the internet and eventually smart phones. And I think a lot of public debate that has followed has helped people get to the point of becoming a "Don't." 

 

Don't know. 

 

Don't care. 

 

Don't believe. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 9:34 PM, midniterider said:

Man, I really hope so! The political involvement of christian religious fanatics has really been triggering for me the past few years. I just want them to me wiped away into irrelevance.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
3 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

 

Agree. I'd arrived at that conclusion too.

 

But that's not really a comforting thought...  ...having to wait a couple of centuries for Islam to begin collapsing as Christianity is doing now.

 

Before the collapse it'll become as all pervasive, intrusive and controlling as Christianity was in 18th and 19th century Europe?

 

(Shudders at the thought.)

 

😬

 

I can see it happening. They have already made good inroads here and everything is in place for expansion. Well meaning liberals here are having success at desensitizing us to the excesses and horrors of Islam, not to mention the danger it poses to any free society. The Right portrays Islam as a bigger problem than it actually is at the moment, and the Left severely underestimates their potential, IMO. They have their foot in our door, so let's see how "woke" America can get and still survive!

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, florduh said:

 

I can see it happening. They have already made good inroads here and everything is in place for expansion. Well meaning liberals here are having success at desensitizing us to the excesses and horrors of Islam, not to mention the danger it poses to any free society. The Right portrays Islam as a bigger problem than it actually is at the moment, and the Left severely underestimates their potential, IMO. They have their foot in our door, so let's see how "woke" America can get and still survive!

 

 

I would hope that as long as the generations that saw 911 are alive, that we would do everything in our power to keep Islam from gaining any control in our country. Seeing what is happening in Europe I don't know that the right makes it a bigger deal about it than it is. 

 

Concerning the OP:

 

Maybe the fanatical Christian movements that we see today is a result of everyone with a functional brain leaving. The idiots and extremists are becoming the majority in the church. The idiots being the flat earthers and double split type people. And the extremists being the racists and Qanon type people. Which really only aids the collapse. I think as more and more of the reasonable folk in the church leave we'll see more of these type people making headlines until it completely implodes. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

 

The article is very interesting. It's not surprising to see the declines that have happened between the start of this century and now. The declines fall in line with the technological rise in the internet and eventually smart phones. And I think a lot of public debate that has followed has helped people get to the point of becoming a "Don't." 

 

Don't know. 

 

Don't care. 

 

Don't believe. 

 

It has become difficult for the Jesus lie to propagate. A kid can ask a question on a website like this and get an army of responses debunking what his parent just told him. So kids pretend to believe until they are out of the house. And they arent just getting the 'it's not true' message, they are getting the message that religion is toxic. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, midniterider said:

A kid can ask a question on a website like this and get an army of responses debunking what his parent just told him. So kids pretend to believe until they are out of the house.

My brother in law and his wife isolated their kids to prevent exactly this. 24/7 propaganda until their teen years. He is deeply driven by fear and rules, and it shows in his approach to life. Only he can free himself. The kids only social circles are within church and church camps. But there is always hope. It took me 30 years.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, midniterider said:

The evil morality of fundamentalist Christianity, including all beliefs that conflict with science, faces a tectonic shift.  Just as continental plates build up rigid pressure until an earthquake, so too religious systems have an unyielding quality that means their adherents will hold on to the point of collapse.  This report is just a sign of the tremors before the big quake, as the anomalies in the dominant Christian paradigm of God mount up.  

 

The problems described here are not intrinsic to all religion as such, which at base just means how we connect to reality.  Rather, it is that Christendom Christianity is intrinsically depraved and corrupt, and needs to confess its cardinal sin of a failure to value evidence and logic.  Forgiveness is conditional upon repentance.  While churches remain unrepentant they are damned.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 5:39 AM, DestinyTurtle said:

Man, I really hope so! The political involvement of christian religious fanatics has really been triggering for me the past few years. I just want them to me wiped away into irrelevance.

  

This is what concerns me. As Florduh wrote above, it flies in the face of the benevolence they claim for their religion.  I see them codifying their political beliefs into law and manipulating our alleged democracy to their favor so they can gain or keep control. I have no problem with anyone's beliefs until they try to put them onto others. We have seen many cases recently where behavior that harms no one but of which these folks object is being outlawed or restricted. An example is the new law in Arkansas banning gender-affirming medical care for trans youth. We will also see extreme gerrymandering when congressional districts are re-drawn, and they even admit they are doing this on purpose. They are not going to let go without a fight.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, older said:

They are not going to let go without a fight.

 

Candidate pushing for stupid as his cornerstone

 

"PRO-GOD. PRO-GUN. PRO-TRUMP”

"the Bible and the Constitution are not supposed to be separate”

He asserts that the 2020 election was “stolen”

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fuego said:

 

Candidate pushing for stupid as his cornerstone

 

"PRO-GOD. PRO-GUN. PRO-TRUMP”

"the Bible and the Constitution are not supposed to be separate”

He asserts that the 2020 election was “stolen”

 

 

I read the whole story. Interesting character. I NEVER understood Christianity and nationalism. They seem so contradictory. Think what you may of Christianity but one of the things that really struck me was its adamant universalism and missionarism. I see this type of nationalism in my country as well. It is so weird in a way. :) I get there may be nuances and rational positions in the US about it. I mean I never got what US "people, nation" is supposed to be. I can probably trace my ancestors in these lands from the indoeuropean descent into Europe, but US "nationalism" kind of seems strange. Maybe that's the European native in me speaking :))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Myrkhoos said:

I NEVER understood Christianity and nationalism.

 

Perhaps it comes from thinking of us as the new Israel, and in general having any "chosen people". Some nationalists have actually preached in churches I've attended and called America the new Israel (even though they support the actual country as well). It is a way for them to feel chosen by god and that their politics are automatically blessed and backed by god. 

The local anti-abortion crowd had a poster up last election saying "protecting the nation", but they didn't mention "from god's wrath if we don't stop abortion". They have since modified it to "seeking the common good", meaning the same thing but more nice-sounding.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Fuego said:

PRO-GUN

 

Not everyone that is pro gun is a religious Nutt. 😜 honestly that's the only reason I vote republican sometimes. If the democrats would equally support guns they would have me in their corner more often. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And here is a story about how Facebook is working with churches. Remember, Facebook exists to make a profit.

 

The headline:

"Facebook’s Next Target: The Religious Experience
The company is intensifying formal partnerships with faith groups across the United States and shaping the future of religious experience."

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/25/us/facebook-church.html
 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, Christianity is collapsing but there seems to be no real conversion processes afoot. Many young people just do not want to go to church anymore, some never did, and some older people are becoming wiser too, but when asked, many still say they believe in a God of some kind. This suggests that they still are hoping for an afterlife for themselves or others. Agnostics say "I don't know" so they too can hold out hope. I expect it will still be many decades or a century or more before the majority in Europe, the Americas., Africa, Canada, and the rest of the world, profess to be agnostics and atheists, as the majority claim to be in Russia and China today, and the majority of us here at  image.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
6 hours ago, pantheory said:

Yes, Christianity is collapsing but there seems to be no real conversion processes afoot. Many young people just do not want to go to church anymore, some never did, and some older people are becoming wiser too, but when asked, many still say they believe in a God of some kind. This suggests that they still are hoping for an afterlife for themselves or others. Agnostics say "I don't know" so they too can hold out hope. I expect it will still be many decades or a century or more before the majority in Europe, the Americas., Africa, Canada, and the rest of the world, profess to be agnostics and atheists, as the majority claim to be in Russia and China today, and the majority of us here at  image.png

 

What's interesting is that it didn't take an atheist majority for christianity to collapse, it's collapsing regardless of atheist minorities at present. That just goes to show that even with people leaning towards theistic beliefs, christianity has become increasing irrelevant to those theistic people. And I think that you're right about the bibles myths being viewed not differently than greek mythology. Myths and fables. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.