Goodbye Jesus

Christianity is collapsing

midniterider

7 hours ago, TABA said:

This topic has deviated significantly from ‘Christianity is Collapsing’, so we should put a stop to it if it doesn’t get back on track… 

Sorry didn't see this till after my last post. Your right. This is veering way off. Probably not in the best direction either. 

6 hours ago, ficino said:

An article from 2018 on young people in Turkey, many of them female, rejecting Islam and becoming deists or not believing at all:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43981745

It's good that it's not just America pulling away from Bible based beliefs. I think this will be much slower in countries that restrict people's access to information. And I think before it's over the countries especially in the middle east will get even more strict against people having access to the information highway that is the internet. I wonder what the civilized world will do with the countries that end up being a terroristic nuisance, pushing their religious extremism back on the future modern world that will be moving on without them. I imagine they very well may get that "Holy war" they are looking for. To bad they will be on the losing side of it by then. 

Goodbye Jesus
51 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

This might be a good time to remind everybody that we've got a kinder, gentler ToT forum down in the Opine Club, in case y'all want to continue with y'all's flag waving and such.  I still get a bit nervous around Irishmen talking about flying the colors, myself; but that's a story for a different thread.

I was done with my comments here, Prof, but since you slipped in a crack about Irishmen and flags I will say this:  It was precisely because of my horror, even as a teenager, seeing the IRA and other terrorists wrapping themselves in the flag of my country, that I refused to surrender the flag to them.  I refuse to apologize for or hide the flag of a sovereign republic, either Irish or American, because of thugs or idiots on the right or left and how they may use the flag. 

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
15 minutes ago, TABA said:

I was done with my comments here, Prof, but since you slipped in a crack about Irishmen 

Perhaps my attempt at humor was insensitive.  Apologies, good sir.

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, DarkBishop said:

You should never liken our Nation Flag to a damn swastika. 

The Swastika was also hijacked. That's the whole point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, florduh said:

The Swastika was also hijacked. That's the whole point.

My whole point is our flag is the symbol that kicked the swastikas ass. Kicked the stars and bars(rebel flags) ass, and has done immensely more good than bad. Freedom as we know it is symbolized in our flag. And shouldn't held in likeness to those symbols. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Opine Club, gentlemen.

3 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Perhaps my attempt at humor was insensitive.  Apologies, good sir.

I wasn’t offended.  I just wanted to respond about my experience with flags.  

So, getting back on track..... my post that resuscitated this thread was meant to support my previous comment that these folks won't go down without a fight. We can see it in some of the laws that have been passed that support their beliefs while constraining or banning others. We see one political party embracing this and moving to skew the political landscape in their favor such that they can prevail without a majority of popular support. 

Now having said this, let's not get into a different political discussion of liberal vs. conservative. Historically Christians have been in both camps. The point is that Christians will use any means available — and I fear it could come to force — to advance their goals, regardless of the hypocrisy of their positions.

(The hypocrisy of Christianity is one of the things that makes me retch.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, older said:

So, getting back on track..... my post that resuscitated this thread was meant to support my previous comment that these folks won't go down without a fight. We can see it in some of the laws that have been passed that support their beliefs while constraining or banning others. We see one political party embracing this and moving to skew the political landscape in their favor such that they can prevail without a majority of popular support. 

Now having said this, let's not get into a different political discussion of liberal vs. conservative. Historically Christians have been in both camps. The point is that Christians will use any means available — and I fear it could come to force — to advance their goals, regardless of the hypocrisy of their positions.

(The hypocrisy of Christianity is one of the things that makes me retch.)

I can't trust either of the two major political parties. They both obviously have their agendas. And I don't agree with either save for a few good points on both sides. But your right. They won't go down without a fight. I hope the fight remains within the voters box, but ya never know. Tensions have been building on both sides as long as I've been alive. Our political landscape is a result of years of political wedge issues being pushed down our throats keeping America divided. I completely blame present and past politicians for the strife we see amongst ourselves today. 

If the time comes. I think I'll just stay out of the fray and let both sides off themselves. Less of both sides sounds like a better America 🤣

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I get that people want things to remain the same, that Symbol X always meant "this" to me and it always will regardless of how the rest of the world currently interprets it. I am not equating the American flag with the Swastika, just pointing out that they have in common a change of perception over time. Sometimes when a group hijacks a symbol for their own use (the Rainbow, for another example) it takes root in the public psyche and there's no going back.

Over and out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I hope belief in flags will collapse soon, as well. :)) In America as well. Nationalism is just religion with new attire. People get attached to flags like to crosses. And, for the more good than bad, of course like any Christian will vehemently defend his religion's net benefit. :)

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, florduh said:

Fine, but everyone else will make assumptions based on what that symbol currently denotes. I may believe the Swastika is still the symbol of good fortune, spirituality, etc. but if I wear one in public what assumptions would be made today? Just pointing out that things change.

I went to a house a while back and some Hindu Dr.'s had Vedic swastika symbols by the front door. Understanding the history and symbolism (dating to some 10,000 BC), I picked up right away on what it was and why they had it.

But the guy that was with me was confused as all hell!!! I had to take a minute and explain it to him after we left the house. I guess the funny thing is that these Hindu's were unmoved by anything that the Nazi's had done, in favor of keeping with their extremely ancient eastern symbolism regardless of who thinks what about it. They just sort of owned it and put it out there around the front door. 

Leaving the local red necks perplexed about these Nazi Habib's......

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 5:41 AM, Joshpantera said:

I went to a house a while back and some Hindu Dr.'s had Vedic swastika symbols by the front door. Understanding the history and symbolism (dating to some 10,000 BC), I picked up right away on what it was and why they had it.

But the guy that was with me was confused as all hell!!! I had to take a minute and explain it to him after we left the house. I guess the funny thing is that these Hindu's were unmoved by anything that the Nazi's had done, in favor of keeping with their extremely ancient eastern symbolism regardless of who thinks what about it. They just sort of owned it and put it out there around the front door. 

Leaving the local red necks perplexed about these Nazi Habib's......

Funny how even Jains use them, and the praxis of Jainism and Nazism couldn't more different. ( Monks wear mouth cloth to avoid unintended killing of insects and microscopic life)

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:59 PM, walterpthefirst said:

Agree. I'd arrived at that conclusion too.

But that's not really a comforting thought...  ...having to wait a couple of centuries for Islam to begin collapsing as Christianity is doing now.

Before the collapse it'll become as all pervasive, intrusive and controlling as Christianity was in 18th and 19th century Europe?

(Shudders at the thought.)

😬

Islam is behind by a few hundred years, true, but now with technology and information available, and a lot of the humanitarian hard work already done you might find it doesn't take quite as long for Islam to go from executing atheists as Christianity did a few centuries ago, to basically being a somewhat tolerant religion about from the fundies which I don't think we'll ever get rid of.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Christianity's collapse seems to have a lot to do with a nature course. The flow of reality is working it down like water through a canyon. It wasn't ever true to begin with. And can only sustain so long while bluffing. 

• Like 1