Goodbye Jesus

Open Club  ·  34 members  ·  Rules

OPINE CLUB

Vaccine awareness 😉

florduh

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

@DarkBishop, I hope this video helps:

Also, as the owner/admin of the Opine Club, it is my sworn duty to stay neutral and not get involved in the discussions. 

But your the only one that is in the know. You specialize in epidemiology right? There's no need to be modest about it. I don't want your opinion. We all have opinions. Mine is only an opinion based on news I have access to. You have facts. Can you tell us the facts that are coming out right now? 

• Super Moderator

20210817_214935.jpg

2 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

20210817_214935.jpg

Ugh. Fine whatever.

I think if that article was incorrect or spreading misinformation you would reprove it. I saw you do it with SemmelweisReflex. So I'm guessing it's not inaccurate. 

That being said. Is anyone going to discuss the findings of the posted article. Or just ignore the hillbilly from ga? 

22 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

I've made some pretty bold claims for some of you I'm sure. Here is a Washington post article for your enjoyment. Not extremist over the top right wing news. Just the Washington post. I posted this on my FB and don't think FB even allowed it into ppls news feed. As it doesn't paint the prettiest picture for the popular narrative. But the weren't able to put their little fact checker bullshit on there because it's true. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/29/cdc-mask-guidance/

I read the article (again, as I’d read it when it first came out), and here’s what I think, keeping in mind that I am no professor…

The vaccine is highly effective in preventing serious illness and death from COVID.  One statistic they quote is “there are 35,000 symptomatic infections per week among 162 million vaccinated Americans”.  Scary, right, thirty five thousand!  But that’s ONE symptomatic infection for every 4628 vaccinated individuals.  I’d say that’s pretty damn good.  Probably one of the most effective vaccines ever produced.  And that’s symptomatic infections.  Serious illness or death among vaccinated folks is vanishingly rare.  But is the death rate zero?  No.  Every year people get killed by lightning, dogs, elephants, bee stings, heart attacks while having sex, gunshots while having sex, asphyxiation while having sex.  But you don’t see the headlines “People are dying from elephant attacks”,  “Death by dog attacks are on the rise”,  “Sex is more dangerous than you realize”.  One thing this pandemic has done is revealed that many people have trouble evaluating risk.  And comparing the risks from various threats.  

I’ve been following the progress of the Delta variant in the United Kingdom, whose trends are about a month ahead of the US.  Infection rates rose dramatically in Britain for a while.  Almost as high as back in the winter.  A few weeks later, the death rates began rising too, but nowhere near as badly as in the winter.  Recently the infection rates in the US have likewise risen considerably.  And now the death rates have risen too.  Again not as bad as the winter, but more so than in the UK.  Why?  Probably because there is more vaccine hesitancy in the US (not just among Fox News watchers, but also notably among Black and Hispanic Americans), and probably because more Americans are obese, sedentary, diabetic, sugar-addicted, etc.  This really is now a disease of the unvaccinated, certainly when it comes to serious illness or death.  So I’m glad I got vaccinated back in March-April.  I’ll get a booster too, when it’s available.  I’ll get a flu-shot this Fall.  Am I guaranteed not to get sick from COVID?  No, but I’ll be getting behind the wheel here shortly and driving to work.  Every day, Americans get killed driving to work!  But I’m gonna do it anyway!  

• Like 2

Popped into the club for the first time in ages... yeah, same arguments you can find anywhere on the net.

TABA has said it better already, but as I was going through the thread this is what I was thinking:

Regarding the hesitancy and, erhm, scepticism around covid vaccine risk,  and efficiency etc,  the same people that point to x number of adverse reactions to a vaccine, or x number still got infected after having the vaccine, will cross the road without thinking too much about the risk. They will also, if they have half a brain, wear a seatbelt despite the fact it won't save you 100% of the time. This to me demonstrates a severe problem with risk evaluation as TABA points out.

I'm afraid that in our free Western societies we are at risk because of having the respect the rights of the lowest common denominator numpties who want to hold mass protests for their 'freedom', or ban mask wearing in their churches because "you should have faith". These numpties are vectors for the virus to mass spread, and with variants like Delta running wild it will be hard to contain. Now, I'm not against any numpty getting themselves infected and dying. Far from it. What I'm against is those numpties spreading it to others in the community, be it me, or my vulnerable grandmother, and clogging up already stressed hospitals.

One statistic stands out to me: Those currently dying are by and large the unvaccinated. I saw somewhere that its 99%, but I can't confirm the exact stat. Of course we aren't even considering the long term ongoing health effects of the disease. But one thing is clear; those who are vaccinated do better.

And yes, I have had my first shot, and the second one in a few weeks. My 5g reception is awesome! Can't wait for 10G after the second shot. :D 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Now, I'm not against any numpty getting themselves infected and dying. Far from it. What I'm against is those numpties spreading it to others in the community, be it me, or my vulnerable grandmother, and clogging up already stressed hospitals.

What I've been seeing is that the virus isn't going away any time soon. Regardless of lockdowns, masks, or vaccines. It's going to continue circulating regardless of anything we do. So basically you guys are right about risk evaluations, but the glaring situation at the head of all risk evaluation is that nothing is going to stop the virus any time soon so that's basically off the table as possible. It IS going to spread to others regardless of anything. It IS going to keep circulating among the vaccinated and unvaccinated regardless of anything anyone does. 

I'm not afraid of the virus. I'm not afraid of the vaccine either. I'm just generally not afraid. I've taken the vaccine. I'll live my life regardless of the possibility of getting the virus anyways. 

And that's something that I keep seeing. People are touting shirts and signs to the effect that they are not afraid. But they are afraid of something if they're afraid to take a vaccine! Fear of taking a vaccine IS fear nonetheless. That doesn't seem to be getting the air time that it should. Whoever truly isn't afraid, wouldn't be afraid of vaccines or anything else. I walked in and took the shot not knowing what would happen. Did it anyways. It wasn't any big deal. 

There's no certainty involved in any of this. But vaccinated people seem to be ahead of the curve in terms of not getting as sick as the unvaccinated. Or remaining asymptomatic. Again, stopping the spread is probably completely out of reach. It's going to continue spreading regardless of the vaccines. The risk evaluation is down to individual considerations. At the end of the day it's whether or not you want to wait until you eventually get covid without the vaccine or with it. Because from what I'm hearing the science stripped of politics shows a situation where this virus will likely be here for the long haul, circulating around, and around, and around. 

Wild deer found to have COVID-19 antibodies (fox8.com)

Due to this cross species spreading, the below has been a concern: 

‘This won’t go away’: Why one doctor thinks COVID-19 will never disappear | WGN-TV (wgntv.com)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TABA said:

Am I guaranteed not to get sick from COVID?  No,

1 hour ago, TABA said:

One statistic they quote is “there are 35,000 symptomatic infections per week among 162 million vaccinated Americans”.  Scary, right, thirty five thousand!  But that’s ONE symptomatic infection for every 4628 vaccinated individuals.

Taba,

Thanks for the reply. And your right. Those numbers sound good.... or at least better than last year. But being skeptical I have to think. Well aren't second waves usually lighter on the death and infection toll anyway? As it works its way through the population, just like the flu. 

We are also talking symptomatic on those numbers. How many more were asymptomatic and just spreading it? It said in the article that vaccinated people who get infected with covid are outputting just as much of the virus as a non-vaccinated person. That's scary too. Everyone got this false sense of security that YAY! No we got this vaccine and we are immune now. Because that's what people think when they take a vaccine. It just is. Because all the Vaccines we took as a child we knew even then that they pretty much guaranteed immunity. No one hardly gets small pocks, measles, or mumps. They all but disappeared. So they have this false sense of security and in reality many were asymptomatic, and spreading the virus everywhere. They never should have said that it was safe to stop wearing masks if you were vaccinated until they had more data. They just keep making mistakes like that. 

You mentioned the flu shot. I can't tell ya how many people including myself that the flu shot just doesn't seem to work on. I gave it several tries. Got sick every time I took it. Not as bad as the flu but still. Sick. Then one year I did get the flu after the flu shot. Blamed it on a different strand that they didn't find or what not. I stopped taking it years ago, haven't got the flu, and don't have to get sick from the shot. I just take my chances for now. Those of us that have seen that. Well, we see a lot of similarities coming out with the covid vaccine. 

. well it'll work most the time.... but yeah.... you still might get it. 

. And this vaccine. Yeah it's probably gonna make ya sick for a day er two. 

. Oh well it didn't work on this because it's a new "variant"

So in light of all that. What are the odds that it will ever go away. Even with a vaccine. 

I mean it's a legitimate argument for the right to chose whether or not to take it. So when people feel like they are having that freedom to chose taken away. It's just not right. If it were working as good as small pocks did. I don't think you would see many people not wanting it. The fact that the vaccine works as good as it does gives me hope that they'll be able to keep working on it, cure covid, the flu, and even the common cold. That'd be great. 

But honestly the way people are treating non vaccinated people now, calling them murderers and extremists, or even anti-vaxer. That's not us. Or at least it's not me. It's like we are second class citizens sometimes.

Thankfully as of yet I've not had any adverse reaction to the shot. I did have legitimate concerns because of my heart issues and my family history with blood clots and such. That's a word that strikes fear in me. More fear than covid. Remember I had it last year and it really wasn't that bad on me. But a blood clot can kill me. Yes it's rare. I know. But what makes it happen at all is what I would like to know. Is it mostly in people that have a family history of blood clots? I don't know. But I do know they are figuring those things out. 

Which brings me to why I took the shot and not ms. Exbishop. The data that is coming out I saying that the blood clots in almost all cases were in women. One of us had to take it to go into the graduation. It is rare and it would be even more rare for me to get it than her. So I took it. I'll be taking the second dose soon enough. I'm still a bit worried about that one. I'll be sure to let yall know if it does fuck with me. 😆 

I'm hoping it works out great and if it does I'll get the booster later on. 

DB

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Now, I'm not against any numpty getting themselves infected and dying. Far from it.

Like I said @TABA. skeptics of the vaccine are becoming second class citizens. 

The article I posted said infected vaccinate people spread just as much as the unvaccinated. What if one of them spreads it to you or someone vulnerable? They'll get it all the same right? 

36 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

And that's something that I keep seeing. People are touting shirts and signs to the effect that they are not afraid. But they are afraid of something if they're afraid to take a vaccine! Fear of taking a vaccine IS fear nonetheless. That doesn't seem to be getting the air time that it should. Whoever truly isn't afraid, wouldn't be afraid of vaccines or anything else. I walked in and took the shot not knowing what would happen. Did it anyways. It wasn't any big deal. 

Thanks Josh,

Best well rounded post I've seen yet. Yes exactly. And that's what is coming out more and more is that it is here for the foreseeable future. It says that at the end of the article. 

I was planning on getting the vaccine until I saw the info on the blood clots. I had to back up and punt. That struck a cord with me. So yeah. I was afraid. Still am till I get past that second shot. I figure I'll be OK after that. Both my sons are vaccinated now. Now me. As long as all goes well with me hopefully my mom n dad will get it. I'm worried about them. 

And yes, I have had my first shot, and the second one in a few weeks. My 5g reception is awesome! Can't wait for 10G after the second shot. :D 

Wish they were doing something like that here LOL. All I get is a bandaid 🤣

2 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

The article I posted said infected vaccinate people spread just as much as the unvaccinated. What if one of them spreads it to you or someone vulnerable? They'll get it all the same right? 

It will spread regardless of anything, to the vulnerable either way. My logical mind concludes at that point that everything else is just for show and make believe at that point. Vaccines can not stop the spread, nor masks, nor lockdowns, etc., etc. The vaccine is really only relevant for the purpose of possibly not getting as sick as you would if you were not vaccinated, that's it. And that limits to personal, individual reasons for getting the vaccine. It does nothing to stop the spread to others. 

A lot of the older people down here are going around with masks again all of a sudden. Masks were basically off for a while. Those masks don't protect the old people wearing them nor do they stop the spread of the virus either. They are for show at this point. And you can tell that the people wearing the masks, despite how well known it is that masks do not prevent infection, are caring on in some sort of delusion that the masks ARE protecting them. It's like a placebo at this point. To each his own, I suppose. We're allowed to pretend and play make believe if we wish. But that doesn't change the delusional aspect of the game. 

2 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Thanks Josh,

Best well rounded post I've seen yet. Yes exactly. And that's what is coming out more and more is that it is here for the foreseeable future. It says that at the end of the article. 

I was planning on getting the vaccine until I saw the info on the blood clots. I had to back up and punt. That struck a cord with me. So yeah. I was afraid. Still am till I get past that second shot. I figure I'll be OK after that. Both my sons are vaccinated now. Now me. As long as all goes well with me hopefully my mom n dad will get it. I'm worried about them. 

I know several people who are likewise concerned, or afraid if you will, about the vaccines due to their pre-existing conditions. 

Two of them came down with the virus last week - the infamous conspiracy general contractor I've mentioned on the forums before, and his wife. He took the Trump drug, whatever it's called, and is feeling better. But this morning he took his wife into the hospital because she's not doing good. We're all waiting to see what happens.

Another friend and work associated, 72 years old, is currently dealing with kidney problems. He doesn't want to risk the vaccine. It's understandable because it IS a risk. He has to determine whether or not to take that risk, not some horde of internet bullies trying to shame people for not getting vaccinated. The horde can fuck off, basically. It's up to him. His life, his risks. Especially considering the over arching fact that there isn't a god dammed thing anyone is going to do to stop the spread! That's off the table as a possible. So it's time to move on wouldn't you think? It's more about bettering one's chances for personal survival at this point than it is about stopping the spread, which, again, isn't even possible at this point. 

Next up, I had a guy come out and work with us in a construction site two weeks ago. He didn't come back the next day because he felt sick. Then he texted me his positive covid results. I had to get everyone else checked and all were negative. We were in a stuffy, hot as shit, construction site with fans blowing hot air all around with an infected covid host. And no one else got infected somehow. I have a 62 year old guy on the crew, retired Army, who hadn't been vaccinated. After he got his negative result from the VA he had them administer his first vaccination. He's doing fine. But it was a risk he decided to take. 

This shit is all around us. We're not going to stop working, we're not going to lock down the state, we're not going to wear pretend masks forever, and we're not going to go around screaming that the sky is falling either. We're going to either live through or die during the course of an unstoppable pandemic condition, period. People are going to survive and people are going to die. And it's going to run whatever course it's going to run. We have to continue on with commerce, school, and day to day living and hope for the best as we do it. That's the reality of the situation. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

lot of the older people down here are going around with masks again all of a sudden. Masks were basically off for a while. Those masks don't protect the old people wearing them nor do they stop the spread of the virus either. They are for show at this point. And you can tell that the people wearing the masks, despite how well known it is that masks do not prevent infection, are caring on in some sort of delusion that the masks ARE protecting them. It's like a placebo at this point. To each his own, I suppose. We're allowed to pretend and play make believe if we wish

Well it did seem like when almost everyone was wearing masks that it did slow the spread. But thats all they'll do is slow it. I didn't even get a cold last year and that never happens lol. But yeah it's looking more and more like this is here to stay. 

Most of the my sons family on their moms side are on the vaccine bandwagon. One said, "if everyone had of gotten the vaccine we wouldn't have a delta variant". And I'm thinking. Yeah like it wasn't already here for one thing. I mean they didn't open access for everyone to get it until what. March er April? And there are still countries out there that haven't been vaccinated at all. I think Venezuela was one of them. And even then, there is still no guarantee with the vaccine either. So yeah. Delta was gonna happen regardless. 

So I just don't blame people for not taking it. I don't believe all the stupid conspiracy stuff like nano bots, chips, or that they are giving us something to further decrease the population. That's all BS. At the same time if it's here to stay either way then why make people feel like shit for not taking it. Or force them to take it. I feel like right now we are a breath away from them trying to make vaccination mandatory. I really don't think that would be a good idea. And ultimately it should be the individuals choice if they want to risk either the vaccination or infection. Either is a risk ya just gotta determine which is the one you wanna take. If the vaccine was effective enough to actually get rid of it. Well that'd be a different story possibly. More people would be wanting to take it. I'm still hoping they are continuing the research and will make another breakthrough that really does get rid of it.

We have a friend right now that was just put on a ventilator with covid pneumonia. She probably should have taken it. 

8 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

I don't consider people intentionally gathering to protest measures to contain the virus, or churches saying you can't come to church if you wear a mask to be "sceptics". They are idiots and potentially should be liable for man slaughter. In my opinion of course, and as TRP points out, I have an opinion.

Not all sceptics are equal. Most of the 'sceptical' community is based on a combination of misinformation, and/or ignorance, and/or stupidity. Or any combination thereof.

I think Flordah's burning house analogy is right. The house is burning (people getting infected whit Covid) and people are worried that dosing the house with water (getting vaccinated) might give you a bacterial infection (Insert list of reasons given for not getting vaccine). Now not, there are genuine reasons for not getting the vaccine ok - I'm not targeting those people with my comments, I'm targeting the 'numpties' as I call them.

Eventually what I see happening is that those who want the vaccine will get it, eventually the world will open up and we will have at least workable amounts of cases, and those who refuse the vaccine are the ones going to be in hospital very sick and dying. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink... unless you are in China, they can make the horse drink. :D 

I don't consider people intentionally gathering to protest measures to contain the virus, or churches saying you can't come to church if you wear a mask to be "sceptics". They are idiots and potentially should be liable for man slaughter. In my opinion of course, and as TRP points out, I have an opinion.

Not all sceptics are equal. Most of the 'sceptical' community is based on a combination of misinformation, and/or ignorance, and/or stupidity. Or any combination thereof.

I think Flordah's burning house analogy is right. The house is burning (people getting infected whit Covid) and people are worried that dosing the house with water (getting vaccinated) might give you a bacterial infection (Insert list of reasons given for not getting vaccine). Now not, there are genuine reasons for not getting the vaccine ok - I'm not targeting those people with my comments, I'm targeting the 'numpties' as I call them.

Eventually what I see happening is that those who want the vaccine will get it, eventually the world will open up and we will have at least workable amounts of cases, and those who refuse the vaccine are the ones going to be in hospital very sick and dying. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink... unless you are in China, they can make the horse drink. :D 

It does seem to lessen the effects. One of the local hospitals is reporting 66 cases in the hospital. 40 of those were unvaccinated with ICU patients in the teens. The others were vaccinated with only 3 or 4 in ICU. So if you aren't at risk with any issues concerning the vaccine. It would be best to take it. That still may not keep you from dying tho. And people need to understand that. I think the false sense of security people felt when they first got vaccinated was more harmful than helpful now that we know the vaccinated can and will spread the virus. It's kinda like a finicky sprinkler system in a house that's burning. It might work...... it might not. The house might partially burn, or it may just get singed. Either way. I guess it's the best we got. I hope we can agree that this isn't good enough tho and we need to keep researching and making this vaccine better. If possible. Which I'm sure they are. Especially with the delta variant. 

On another note. The friend I spoke of before, that went on the ventilator just passed away. She was being transported to another hospital. On the way she flat lined and they were not able to bring her back. She was Ms. Exbishops best friend. She was a good woman and will be greatly missed. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Concerning our friend. I did just find out that she was advised by her doctor to wait on taking it. She had some other issues going on they wanted to figure out before she took it. 

5 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

I don't believe all the stupid conspiracy stuff like nano bots, chips, or that they are giving us something to further decrease the population. That's all BS. At the same time if it's here to stay either way then why make people feel like shit for not taking it. Or force them to take it. I feel like right now we are a breath away from them trying to make vaccination mandatory.

Maybe, but there's a lot of resistance. It's going to be hard to try and force people to take vaccines that at least some scientists are advising won't stop the virus from spreading to the vulnerable anyways. That's what a lot of people don't seem to comprehend yet.

It apparently went from Bats to humans. Now it's crossed over into other species like deer where they found the antibodies. They're going to vaccinate all humans at the same time and then make sure every animal is vaccinated too?

The second article that I posted looks at that problem: 

"Because COVID-19 was transmitted from animals to humans, and it’s unlikely that the world can vaccinate or euthanize all the animal carriers, the virus will continue to circulate, potentially indefinitely.

COVID-19 isn’t like other infectious diseases, such as smallpox, which was effectively eliminated after global vaccine efforts.

“It’s going to stay around and have flares,” Chin-Hong said."

11 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Those masks don't protect the old people wearing them nor do they stop the spread of the virus either. They are for show at this point. And you can tell that the people wearing the masks, despite how well known it is that masks do not prevent infection, are caring on in some sort of delusion that the masks ARE protecting them.

It seems you are suggesting that mask-wearing is futile. What sources do you have to support this? I would argue that is true only if the mask is worn or handled improperly or if the mask is made of inappropriate material. Mask-wearing has been mandated in health care facilities - in caring for patients with certain viral diseases  - for decades, long before the pandemic.

16 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

The second article that I posted looks at that problem

This was in the second article:

"The key is to get as many humans vaccinated against COVID as possible, and quickly, before new variants develop.

Ultimately, that’s the only avenue by which we can “squash COVID to the bare minimum,” Chin-Hong said.

I can't really agree given recent evidence that if we managed to vaccinate 100 percent that it would "squash" the problem. Even if the majority of vaccinated people who get infected are able to fight it off easier. They are still getting infected and still spreading it. Between that, the animal reservoir they are worried about in the article, and vaccine hesitancy, we are most likely not going to see an end to it. Unless we get a better vaccine or a better treatment. 

6 minutes ago, freshstart said:

It seems you are suggesting that mask-wearing is futile. What sources do you have to support this? I would argue that is true only if the mask is worn or handled improperly or if the mask is made of inappropriate material. Mask-wearing has been mandated in health care facilities - in caring for patients with certain viral diseases  - for decades, long before the pandemic.

Well I think the point is that unless everyone wears them, then it isn't effective. The masks are to prevent your germs from spreading, not to keep other people's germs from entering the body. If everyone around an elderly person is not wearing a mask. The mask the elderly person is wearing won't protect them. They will still be breathing in air that others have expelled. We've known from the beginning that the masks only work if the majority of everyone wear them. 

2 minutes ago, freshstart said:

And masks have stopped the spread of covid 19? This is about the issue of stopping the virus. Masks have not. Vaccines have not. The article cited lays it out very plainly. It's circulating between different species. They need everyone vaccinated around the same time to try and avoid "flare ups." 

There are lot of futile issues on the table aside from masks. And the masks that people are wearing are not of the highest integrity, as another simple point. In edition to the issue of cross species infection. The animals will be in masks as well? 

It's all for show at this point, IMO. 

The problem is that people want to believe that they have more control or the potential for more control over a given situation than they actually do in reality. And then, on that initially false premise, try moving forward and forcing others into conforming with the said false premise. It could be about any number of things. In this case it's corona virus. This is a big unknown. Uncertainties across the board. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Well I think the point is that unless everyone wears them, then it isn't effective. The masks are to prevent your germs from spreading, not to keep other people's germs from entering the body. If everyone around an elderly person is not wearing a mask. The mask the elderly person is wearing won't protect them. They will still be breathing in air that others have expelled. We've known from the beginning that the masks only work if the majority of everyone wear them. 

That's not entirely true.  There are plenty of times when I wear a mask (a patient is unable to tolerate wearing one, for example) and the mask offers some level of protection (for me) in inhaling droplets infected with viral particles. 

11 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

This was in the second article:

"The key is to get as many humans vaccinated against COVID as possible, and quickly, before new variants develop.

Ultimately, that’s the only avenue by which we can “squash COVID to the bare minimum,” Chin-Hong said.

I can't really agree given recent evidence that if we managed to vaccinate 100 percent that it would "squash" the problem. Even if the majority of vaccinated people who get infected are able to fight it off easier. They are still getting infected and still spreading it. Between that, the animal reservoir they are worried about in the article, and vaccine hesitancy, we are most likely not going to see an end to it. Unless we get a better vaccine or a better treatment. 

He mentioned all of the problems with getting everyone vaccinated around the same time. Not likely. Plus the animal issue. And that flare up's will continue regardless. Leading into the closing statement above about shooting for a "bare minimum" scenario. I'm not sure what he thinks the bare minimum scenario would be, given the previous mentioned road blocks. 

Maybe a better vaccine could work. But I assume it has to take into account all of the problems on the table including the cross species issues. 

3 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

And masks have stopped the spread of covid 19? This is about the issue of stopping the virus. Masks have not. Vaccines have not. The article cited lays it out very plainly. It's circulating between different species. They need everyone vaccinated around the same time to try and avoid "flare ups." 

I'm saying, simply put, that masks offer some level of protection to the wearer if worn and handled properly.  There is a lot of research in progress as well as speculation about what the best course of action will be as this pandemic evolves into what will likely become endemic.  The rate at which people become immune over time (through vaccination or post-infection), the rate at which the virus mutates, and the rate at which our vaccine technology evolves will be key factors (among many other variables). 

COVID-19 Vaccination in Florida

As of Aug. 18, 2021
Cumulative number of COVID-19 vaccine doses Total Moderna Pfizer Unknown
Allocated Data Not Available Data Not Available Data Not Available Data Not Available
Shipped Data Not Available Data Not Available Data Not Available Data Not Available
Administered 23,806,424 Data Not Available Data Not Available Data Not Available
  Number % in Populaton
People Vaccinated with at least One Dose 13,242,261 64.29%
People Fully Vaccinated 10,891,932 52.88%

1 hour ago, freshstart said:

I'm saying, simply put, that masks offer some level of protection to the wearer if worn and handled properly.  There is a lot of research in progress as well as speculation about what the best course of action will be as this pandemic evolves into what will likely become endemic.  The rate at which people become immune over time (through vaccination or post-infection), the rate at which the virus mutates, and the rate at which our vaccine technology evolves will be key factors (among many other variables). 

Fair enough. Some, but not total protection: 

On respiratory droplets and face masks: Physics of Fluids: Vol 32, No 6 (scitation.org)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.