Jump to content

Introduction


SouthernSound
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Super Moderator

Welcome to Ex-C!

 

What do we believe...hmmm...let me see. As a group we individually believe lots of things; Taoism, Buddhism, Deism, Norse and Celtic religious practice, a couple of witches here and some Nihilists and Dudeists. Many claim to be atheists or agnostics.

 

It's what we no longer believe that draws us together. We have not found compelling evidence for Christianity and find much to be desired in the historicity of it's holy book. Many have had a rather harmful traumatic history with the religion and others simply can't reconcile the beliefs with demonstrable reality as in historical records, archaeology, physics and science in general.

 

Does that help?

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, SouthernSound said:

My reason for joining is I'm interested in what Ex Christians believe after they apostatize.

 

Just to let you know. That's a bit offensive. We didn't "apostize".  We liberated ourselves from an ancient oppressive world view bent on fear and control. 

 

As to what we believe. I've come to realize every ExChristian is different. Some like myself are still more open to some type of spiritual connection. I know and have seen multiple proofs that render the Bible null and void as to having any real authority spiritually or historically for that matter. But I do hope there is some type of afterlife. Probably not. But I hope. I'm certain it's nothing the Bible has to offer if there is. 

 

Others find another faith. While a good majority become athiest, agnostic, nontheist, pantheism, etc. Hope this helps and I hope your not an ass like most Christians that come here. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

 

Just to let you know. That's a bit offensive. We didn't "apostize".  We liberated ourselves from an ancient oppressive world view bent on fear and control. 

 

As to what we believe. I've come to realize every ExChristian is different. Some like myself are still more open to some type of spiritual connection. I know and have seen multiple proofs that render the Bible null and void as to having any real authority spiritually or historically for that matter. But I do hope there is some type of afterlife. Probably not. But I hope. I'm certain it's nothing the Bible has to offer if there is. 

 

Others find another faith. While a good majority become athiest, agnostic, nontheist, pantheism, etc. Hope this helps and I hope your not an ass like most Christians that come here. 

Apostasy is just the Christian term. I mean, I get why people feel icky about the term and have a bad sometimes traumatic history with it, BUT it's just a specialized jargon inside a specific theological system. It is like medical jargon for that matter.

    As to what people believe, feel free to read around. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Myrkhoos said:

BUT it's just a specialized jargon inside a specific theological system. It is like medical jargon for that matter.

It's called christianese.  I'm still fluent, though I haven't spoken it in nearly 20 years.  Even as a christian, I rarely spoke christianese. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
10 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

I'm here. I'm an authentic Christian. My visits will be sporadic.

 

My reason for joining is I'm interested in what Ex Christians believe after they apostatize.

 

Salue!

 

Well bless your little heart!!!!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Myrkhoos said:

Apostasy is just the Christian term. I mean, I get why people feel icky about the term and have a bad sometimes traumatic history with it, BUT it's just a specialized jargon inside a specific theological system. It is like medical jargon for that matter.

    As to what people believe, feel free to read around. :)

 

Calling someone a midget was also an acceptable term at one point. 

 

I'd rather him know its offensive right off the bat than to go 2 pages into a thread and someone...... like me. Gets pissed off because he keeps calling me an apostate. In my particular religious experience and apostate was the same as a traitor. Or a Judas.

 

I didn't turn my back on God or get my 30 pieces of silver. I just realized the whole biblical story was a myth. A provable myth. That is all. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
11 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

My reason for joining is I'm interested in what Ex Christians believe after they apostatize.


 

11 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Just to let you know. That's a bit offensive. We didn't "apostize".  We liberated ourselves from an ancient oppressive world view bent on fear and control. 

 

Different strokes, but personally I’m not offended by the term.  I rejected Christianity, so I’m an apostate.  Guilty as charged.  I consider apostasy a feature, not a bug.  

As to what I believe now, none of the supernatural stuff.  Not the father, the son, the holy spirit, satan, heaven, hell, sin or salvation.  That’s quite a lot to unload from one’s shoulders.  I live my life without theology or religious dogma.  I’ve taken in ideas and practices from various schools of philosophy, and continue to explore.  Life is good. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

 

Just to let you know. That's a bit offensive. We didn't "apostize".  We liberated ourselves from an ancient oppressive world view bent on fear and control. 

 

As to what we believe. I've come to realize every ExChristian is different. Some like myself are still more open to some type of spiritual connection. I know and have seen multiple proofs that render the Bible null and void as to having any real authority spiritually or historically for that matter. But I do hope there is some type of afterlife. Probably not. But I hope. I'm certain it's nothing the Bible has to offer if there is. 

 

Others find another faith. While a good majority become athiest, agnostic, nontheist, pantheism, etc. Hope this helps and I hope your not an ass like most Christians that come here. 

What does your avatar mean? I see it on pintrest sometimes.

 

If you like you can ignore my post in that other thread. I probably should not of responded there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, florduh said:

Welcome to Ex-C!

 

What do we believe...hmmm...let me see. As a group we individually believe lots of things; Taoism, Buddhism, Deism, Norse and Celtic religious practice, a couple of witches here and some Nihilists and Dudeists. Many claim to be atheists or agnostics.

 

It's what we no longer believe that draws us together. We have not found compelling evidence for Christianity and find much to be desired in the historicity of it's holy book. Many have had a rather harmful traumatic history with the religion and others simply can't reconcile the beliefs with demonstrable reality as in historical records, archaeology, physics and science in general.

 

Does that help?

Yes, that helps. Your comment "Many claim to be atheists or agnostics" seems interesting. Don't you believe them?

 

Salue!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

Apostasy is just the Christian term. I mean, I get why people feel icky about the term and have a bad sometimes traumatic history with it, BUT it's just a specialized jargon inside a specific theological system. It is like medical jargon for that matter.

    As to what people believe, feel free to read around. :)

I got Apostasy from the dictionary. I will read. The posting restriction seems cumbersome. I guess when I have a question about something I read I'll post it along with the relevant text to the Lions Den as that seems the right thing to do.

 

Salue!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

I'm here. I'm an authentic Christian. My visits will be sporadic.

 

My reason for joining is I'm interested in what Ex Christians believe after they apostatize.

 

Salue!

 

I believe in some Eastern philosophy like Zen or Advaita. I also sometimes practice Chaos magic. Mostly live an agnostic life without a particular religious practice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
1 hour ago, SouthernSound said:

Your comment "Many claim to be atheists or agnostics" seems interesting. Don't you believe them?

Yes, I believe them just the same as when someone claims to be a Christian or Scientologist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

What does your avatar mean? I see it on pintrest sometimes.

 

If you like you can ignore my post in that other thread. I probably should not of responded there.

 

It's a reference to a song. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

I'm here. I'm an authentic Christian. My visits will be sporadic.

 

My reason for joining is I'm interested in what Ex Christians believe after they apostatize.

 

Salue!

It seems like your an OK guy so far BTW. I thought you may have been from the south eastern United States. But since you don't know the song I referred to. And your use of the word salue. I'm guessing your not from my neck of the woods. Can you tell us what area of the world your from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, midniterider said:

 

I believe in some Eastern philosophy like Zen or Advaita. I also sometimes practice Chaos magic. Mostly live an agnostic life without a particular religious practice. 

Are these related? (Zen, Advaita Chaos magic) Or very different?

 

I can understand the agnosticism. The spiritual world is so very different than the physical world it is very easy to get caught up in the mundane events of life. As a devote Christian myself many times the simple grueling details of making a living and dealing with the everyday details of life can take my focus from God.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, florduh said:

Yes, I believe them just the same as when someone claims to be a Christian or Scientologist.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. Are you saying you believe they believe what they say themselves, but that you think the atheist is wrong?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DarkBishop said:

 

It's a reference to a song. 

 

 

Ok, so I read the lyrics, and listened to the song.

 

I don't see the words  from your avatar in the song. Your avatar seems darker, while the song seems kind of light hearted. What is a dark bishop? That seems religious.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
8 minutes ago, SouthernSound said:

As a devote Christian myself many times the simple grueling details of making a living and dealing with the everyday details of life can take my focus from God.

I believe that dealing with the grueling details of god can take my focus away from the satisfaction of making a living and the joy of everyday details of life.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SouthernSound said:

Ok, so I read the lyrics, and listened to the song.

 

I don't see the words  from your avatar in the song. Your avatar seems darker, while the song seems kind of light hearted. What is a dark bishop? That seems religious.

 

 

Oh I thought you were referring to the words in the picture. 

 

I chose the name DarkBishop because I was an ordained Bishop in The Church of God the Gospel assembly.  Since God was supposed to be light and all that good stuff. At the time I felt like my "light" had been extinguished. Deconverting was kinda hard for awhile. So I named myself Dark Bishop. Now I own it like @TABA owns the word apostate. And I'm completely happy and actually feel far more enlightened concerning the Bible now than I ever did when I believed. It actually makes sense why the Bible says certain things when you read studies and realize the Bible evolved over time. And yes it changed. 

 

Did you know that the story of the woman caught in adultery is nowhere in the earliest texts they have? That's right. It was added later. Jesus did not do that at all. Secular and Christian scholars both agree to that. 

 

That was a little tidbit of useful information I heard during a debate between a secular and a Christian scholar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

Are these related? (Zen, Advaita Chaos magic) Or very different?

 

I can understand the agnosticism. The spiritual world is so very different than the physical world it is very easy to get caught up in the mundane events of life. As a devote Christian myself many times the simple grueling details of making a living and dealing with the everyday details of life can take my focus from God.

 

Zen and Advaita are somewhat different means to the same end... enlightenment, self-realization, non-dual awareness. Chaos magic is just a kind of witchcraft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I believe that dealing with the grueling details of god can take my focus away from the satisfaction of making a living and the joy of everyday details of life.

 

Wise words Professor 👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
On 8/25/2021 at 12:08 PM, SouthernSound said:

My reason for joining is I'm interested in what Ex Christians believe after they apostatize.

 

Well I believe a lot of things. I believe water is wet. The earth is a sphere. I will died if I jump off a 50 storey building. (Haven't tested that one yet!)

 

I believe in pretty much all the things you do, I just don't believe in a magical sky daddy with anger issues and violent tendencies any more.

 

Maybe it would be better to ask why I don't believe in your particular deity? But then I can just ask you why you don't believe in any other deities except the Christian ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Moderator
3 hours ago, SouthernSound said:

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. Are you saying you believe they believe what they say themselves, but that you think the atheist is wrong?

You're making this too complicated. If someone says he is X then who am I to doubt? Whether or not I think X is a reasonable thing to be is another question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.