Goodbye Jesus

Introduction

SouthernSound

• Super Moderator
6 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Well I'll be damned your right. Bless his heart. He's using it all wrong. And my grammar is way off. I thought it was spelled slew. But using phonics. Sa-lew is definitely the correct spelling. Thanks Prof. 😊

🤣

They ain't call me The Redneck Professor for nothing, son.  😎

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
10 hours ago, freshstart said:

Given the name, I'm guessing SouthternSound is from somewhere in the American "bible belt."  Would we be correct to assume that?

3 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Well thats what I thought. But I dont know anyone in the south that has never heard "The Devil went down to GA" 

Apparently, he is in the world; but not of the world... if you know what I mean.

• Haha 1

Worships Jesus Christ. Well, there are numerous ways people have defined worship and Jesus Christ. And interpret the Bible. Wars have been fought. Blood spilled over it. So saying only that is too broad.

I could label myself as some kind of hard agnostic. In that, now, I see our situation as beings in an Impossible situation to "know" truth, indeed that term makes no sense at an absolute level.

It is like asking water how does a rock feel. It is just a weird question. There are some Christian pararels where Christian hesychasts said that God's essence is unknowable and unimagineable but we know his uncreated energies. So I'm an an agnostic on the absolute existential level, but a rational empiricist of sorts on the relative level. That is using reason and sensation to build diverse ever changing ever verifying models of reality. 

3 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

Worships Jesus Christ.

Definitely sounds like a Catholic. Yep yep. /s

On 8/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, SouthernSound said:

Not sure what that means. Does that mean you change your mind from day to day?

No, I just express the same worldview in more than one way.

On 8/29/2021 at 10:50 AM, SouthernSound said:

I'm genuinely curious to know how people satisfy their spiritual needs after Christianity. People tend to gravitate towards the spiritual. Where are they drawn?

Just because we don't believe in the Bible or christianity anymore doesn't mean we jump to another religion. Some of us like @Joshpantera have given a lot of thought and contemplation on having spirituality without believing in a God. I have not ruled out the possibility of a supernatural aspect of spirituality. I have my hopes as to how I would personally prefer the afterlife to be. But those are just hopes without any foundation. I know that most likely after my eyes close for the last time there is probably nothing after that. But I have hope that there is. If not.. I will never know the differenc and I'm ok with that. I have plans that I am content with whether there is an afterlife or not. 

You haven't posted in a few days. Have you already grown bored with us? It would be nice to have a more in depth conversation with you, where both sides glean information from each other. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

You haven't posted in a few days. Have you already grown bored with us? It would be nice to have a more in depth conversation with you, where both sides glean information from each other. 

Ex-Christianity: Where you can roll your own beliefs about God and heaven...and not have to feel bad about yourself. 

• Super Moderator
56 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Where you can roll your own beliefs about God and heaven

Huh. Just like Christians.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:08 PM, SouthernSound said:

I'm here. I'm an authentic Christian. My visits will be sporadic.

My reason for joining is I'm interested in what Ex Christians believe after they apostatize.

Salue!

Welcome.

What I believe is, there is no compelling reason to believe there is in fact any spirit..

Human, supernatural, or holy.

"Spirit" (as a noun) is one of those things the belief in which is near universal, but for which there is no actual definition.

That alone is enough to make me skeptical.

I was a Christian believer for 58 years, if that matters to the discussion.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:38 PM, SouthernSound said:

Yes.

An authentic Christian is a person who loves and worships Jesus Christ with all their heart. If this is done with a genuine and honest heart many character traits follow from that, of course.

To be a little more honest and authentic, you would say "who loves and worships Jesus Christ with all their belief and devotion", yes?

My intention is not to pick nits, but this is another example of the corruption of speech which is common to the Christian faith as well as other religions.

The heart is of course an organ which pumps blood, nothing more.

When words begin to be used to generalize and imply something other than what they actually mean, the truth becomes distorted.

In effect, it's a form of propaganda.

4 hours ago, alreadyGone said:

When words begin to be used to generalize and imply something other than what they actually mean, the truth becomes distorted.

On 9/3/2021 at 7:43 AM, alreadyGone said:

To be a little more honest and authentic, you would say "who loves and worships Jesus Christ with all their belief and devotion", yes?

My intention is not to pick nits, but this is another example of the corruption of speech which is common to the Christian faith as well as other religions.

The heart is of course an organ which pumps blood, nothing more.

Then who are you not intending to pick nits off of?

2 hours ago, Moonobserver said:

Then who are you not intending to pick nits off of?

Is that, in your perception what I am doing?

21 hours ago, alreadyGone said:

Is that, in your perception what I am doing?

I'm just going by the words you were using.

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone, I hope you are all doing well 😊 Thank-you for the warm welcome into the group and I am looking forward to getting to know you all and learning about your journeys in and out of faith - I have made a short introduction post on the forum (although I think I might have accidentally posted in the wrong sub-forum!).

I hope you are all having a great weekend!

Sarah x

• 2 weeks later...

Not a moderator. 😎

A couple of points, then I'll add something of what I now believe.

Apostate, while I don't take offense, I struggle with such words, because they're too easy. It reminds me of when my wife once told me that "intercession" was a spiritual word. When I was a Christian, I still struggled with words being used as shorthand with an agenda behind them. I wanted to be genuine with people, even back then.

Theist: There is some argument that no one can truly be an atheist. That means certainty. One of the first things I learned when I deconverted was that I was wrong. So, I could be wrong again. I prefer to see myself as "effectively atheist," because I cannot see a deity or deities in any of reality. Therefor, there "effectively" are no deities. The word, however, has been excellently used, when Dawkins said "We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Spiritual. From what I've seen here, there is a spectrum on that scale, everything from unknowable to a different belief to no spirituality. You said, "People tend to gravitate towards the spiritual." Some of us are purely material. Some of us are still having those inner debates. For many of us, the journey is the important thing, not the destination. Like I said, a spectrum and not all include spirituality, at least as a religious person understands the word. You have to allow the word to also mean something other than religious/deistic. That something other can be different for each person.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:51 AM, SouthernSound said:

Our mortality can be a scary thing.

Our mortality is something that kept many of us too afraid to leave Christianity, for the longest time. Some still struggle with that. It's like the psychology behind FOMO, but far worse. It's a psychological con. Instead of "Don't leave or you'll miss out," it's "Don't leave or you'll burn in Hell."

Now to what I believe. I believe we have come a long way. Prehistoric humans did not understand how nature works, so they deified plants and animals and mountains and stars. God stories evolved and borrowed heavily from each other. The Christian religion (as also Judaism) would have you believe it started with Adam, Judaism then Jesus. Only fundamentalist believe that. Look up Documentary Hypothesis. The Bible also borrowed from other religions.

I am still exploring. I know that science is good, but it still can't explain everything. That just means we have further to go in discovery. We're no longer ignorant of how nature works. We don't need to deify things. Over many decades, I saw the contradictions, the hypocrisy (in the Bible itself), and the evil of the God that was written about. I fought my deconversion, rationalized it all until I realized that I was clinging to a false belief.

My only regret is that I did not see it all 30 years sooner. This could be you too in a few decades.

Imagine wasting half your life on something that does not exist. It's a huge investment to throw away.

On 8/25/2021 at 8:11 AM, SouthernSound said:

I got Apostasy from the dictionary. I will read. The posting restriction seems cumbersome. I guess when I have a question about something I read I'll post it along with the relevant text to the Lions Den as that seems the right thing to do.

Salue!

There is no posting restrictions other than preaching religion is restricted to just a few discussion areas of this forum. Also, arguing politics here is also not well-received. Asking questions about anything in the "Question" category is appropriate and wise IMO as long as you don't argue or dwell on religion there. Otherwise, you can join in on any other discussions in any part of this forum.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:36 PM, Narrator said:

......Imagine wasting half your life on something that does not exist. It's a huge investment to throw awayB

But it made you who you are today, a good thing, right?  So the time was not necessarily wasted.  Imagine the wasted time of the majority of people around the world who never will be in touch with reality because of religion :)