Goodbye Jesus

Crisis of faith in movies

Lost

I don't know how You feel about those plots in movies, when characters mention God or struggle with faith, but when IT is shown in movies I AM so proud of producers especially from secular world that they want to talk about religion and spirituality in their movies.

I remember movie like '21 grams' where one of main characters played by the actor Beniso del Toro was struggling with his Christian faith after hitting with his car 2 girls and their father.

His wife said to him when he was in jail: 

" Life goes on with God or without God'.

That sentance hits me really hard and I remaid myself about IT on daily bases.

The other movie about religion that hits me is 'Bridshed revisited' with main character played by Matthew Goode in 2008.

Charles as an atheist really tries to understand Catholic aristocrate family with friendly attitute.

What are the movies about crisis of faith that You like and You can recommend?

These aren't exactly what you mean, but stood out to me:

A Buddhist version of this is The Razor's Edge, although it is more a realization that his faith should be lived in normal life out among people instead of a monastery where he had been staying. He is up on a mountain freezing and ends up burning the scriptures to keep warm. That's where the change from religion to life happened. 

A horror version is 30 Days Of Night where a woman facing a vampire exclaims "Help me God!". The vampire pauses, looks up at the sky and then at her. "No god". Munch.

It really annoys me how many horror films are based on Christianity being true. The Exorcist, Hellraiser, and a zillion others that can't let go of the Devil/Christian God paradigm. 

A sci-fi film Prometheus shows how an android watches his human creators and develops a disdain for them and their creators (the Engineers). When he sees an engineer die, he says "Mortal after all". A subtext to this part of the Alien series is that Jesus was planted here by them, and that the Engineers are a blood cult that worships an alien whose blood let them breed again after having engineered their own genetics too much. The alien they worship is shown in art in a crucifix pose, and they were heading to Earth to destroy it because we killed Jesus. The movie makers left out 90% of that. 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

I don't remember the title of the film, but Liam Neeson plays a father who destroys evidence after his son kills someone.  A discussion comes up about Abraham being willing to  sacrifice Isaac as a sign of his faith, to which Liam replies, "People miss the point of that story.  The point is: who'd want Abraham for a father?"

Even as a christian, that line struck me.

• Like 1

The first one to come to mind for me is "Frank vs. God", about a lawyer who lost his wife in a traffic accident deciding to sue God after a tornado destroys his house.

• Like 1

Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors" is about a Jewish man who can't get rid of a woman with whom he had an affair. He struggles with her threatening to go public and being found out, or having her killed to preserve his own reputation and well-being. He struggles because he expects God to smite him if he has her killed. When god doesn't, he has his first astonished look into the non-existence of his god, and the belief that previously shaped his life. So like it or not, his life was upended but in a way he never expected.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

What was the one about the Jews in the Auschwitz who put god on trial for not stopping the Nazis?  That one was pretty good, although I disagreed with the verdict; though I do respect the manner in which it was reached. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fuego said:

It really annoys me how many horror films are based on Christianity being true. The Exorcist, Hellraiser, and a zillion others that can't let go of the Devil/Christian God paradigm. 

That's to be expected when most of the ticket-buying audience is Christian.

18 hours ago, Moonobserver said:

That's to be expected when most of the ticket-buying audience is Christian.

Culturally, anyway. It's how most Americans see good/evil.

Thank You Guys for your examples of faith struggles in characters in different movies. 🙂

If I will remind myself more movies like that I will write examples down.

You can also write more if You want 🙂

By the way it's good to see You and hear You again after a long break  🙂

I wish I could have such buddies like You in real life 🙂

Hi, everybody...it's been a while :) I noticed that nobody mentioned the movie adaptation of Stephen King's "The Stand"...I guess it's not about a "struggle of faith" as you put it because the good and evil sides are pretty much polarized from the beginning. But it absolutely drips with religious overtones and "preachiness". I actually liked the movie despite the preachiness...but hey...it's Stephen King ;)

• Like 2

I like what they did in "The Others." Kidman is acting very preachy from the outset and then realizes that the afterlife has nothing to do with God or the bible. Still supernatural, but takes a shot at the bible as bullshit. 

With church attendance and religious affiliation in steady decline this century, I'd expect that to translate into more and more of it showing up in Hollywood and pop culture. As trends change so will the entertainment world....

• Like 1

I remember one movie, where Julianne Moore came to a Man with the scars on his face, who was laying on his bed.

And he said to her something like:

"You fear when I mention the name of God"

Anyone knows the title of this movie?

Also Julianne Moore is known for her atheistic views, when IT comes to God.

Maybe "6 Souls"?

On 10/25/2021 at 2:55 PM, Fuego said:

Maybe "6 Souls"?

Maybe 🙂I need to find the whole movie in my country to see, if this is it.

For now I don't have access to premium account on the Internet to see '6 souls'.

Thank You Fuego for the title 🙂

• 2 months later...

I know it's been a while, but I thought I would chime in again with one I revisited recently: the Christopher Walken movie, "The Prophecy" (it's actually a trilogy). It involves crises of faith among humans, but it's mainly about a crisis of faith among angels.

Dogma is another "angels losing faith" movie. Pretty funny also. 

• Like 2